Author Topic: October is National Prevention of Substance Abuse Month  (Read 1091 times)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
October is National Prevention of Substance Abuse Month
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
Please take a moment to read this post, even if the topic isn't of interest....

October is National Prevention of Substance Abuse Month.  Parents are the first line of defense in fighting this battle.  Yet a very close second are our pastors and church leaders.  Please check on-line to see if your town or city has an Alliance for the Prevention of Substance Abuse.  Please find ways in which to publicize the epidemic of substance abuse in your congregations.  The age of first use is now said to be 10 years old.  Middle school.  Our township offers the Reality Tour, a play for 5-8th graders in which a young girl goes to a party, takes a drug for the first time, and overdoses.  Our EMTs and police take part in this.  The journey takes one from this first use of a drug to a funeral.  It is very powerful and it is done in many areas of the country.  Something to urge your school system to look into. 

Statistics indicate that young people who have a faith background do better in peer pressure situations.  They do better...I am not stating that they are exempt from such pressure.    I'm sharing herein my October blog for the Wayne Alliance.  There are excellent websites listed that you may offer members of your congregation on how to start the conversation with children about substance abuse.  Please feel free to use it and please, in your Prayers of the Faithful in October remember all those who suffer from substance abuse - and be an advocate.  Parents are the first line in the fight - but the church is a very close second.  Thank you!

Wayne Alliance - October Blog

t’s October and our thoughts turn to crisp fall days and the kaleidoscope of red, orange, and gold leaves that adorn trees.  Some of us may remember the storms that hit our area for the past two years in October with hopes that we get by unscathed this year.

Here’s something else to think about, something very important:  October is National Prevention of Substance Abuse Month.   For some, substance abuse may conjure up images of drugs being sold on street corners, of heroin or the recent stories of Molly.  However, the most popular drugs aren’t found on a street corner, they’re right in front of your eyes in your medicine cabinet.  Among adolescents, prescription drugs are the fastest growing form of drug abuse and provide a springboard to the abuse of substances such as heroin and alcohol.   

The message this month of October is, “Be Aware!  Become Educated!.”  Awareness and education are crucial.  Be aware of what is in your medicine cabinet and get rid of drugs that you’re not using (you can turn them into your drugstore).  Become educated.  Wayne Township and the Alliance will be sponsoring several events for parents and young people.  Information about these events will come from the schools and the Township.  And talk:  talk to your kids, often, even if you don’t suspect anything. The sites below offer tips on talking with your kids. 

www.drugfree.org for tips and advice on starting conversations with your kids
www.drugfree.org/timetoact for parents who suspect or know their kids are using
www.drugfree.org/teenbrain for insight into teen brain development, and
www.drugfree.org/parent for a Parent Tool Kit offering videos and articles on how to talk to your kids at any age.
For more tips, please be sure to like our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/waynealliance

Charles_Austin

Re: October is National Prevention of Substance Abuse Month
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
Working each week with alcoholics and then hearing clergy and church people talk about drinking and drunks continues to shock me at how little clergy know about the disease of alcoholism.

Voelker

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Be aware of what is in your medicine cabinet and get rid of drugs that you’re not using (you can turn them into your drugstore).
A note on this: most pharmacies I've spoken to about this will not dispose of them for you. They instead suggest dissolving the pills (if that's the form the drug is dispensed in) in water, and then pouring the water with the dissolved drugs into kitty litter, which is then sent out with the trash.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
Be aware of what is in your medicine cabinet and get rid of drugs that you’re not using (you can turn them into your drugstore).
A note on this: most pharmacies I've spoken to about this will not dispose of them for you. They instead suggest dissolving the pills (if that's the form the drug is dispensed in) in water, and then pouring the water with the dissolved drugs into kitty litter, which is then sent out with the trash.

That's interesting.  Before posting the blog, I contacted pharmacies in Wayne NJ and each pharmacist said that unused prescriptions could be returned (of course, without any refund).  Our township has two days each year on which residents can turn in unused drugs.  But, in the notice to do so, it is mentioned that drugs can be returned to the pharmacy.  To those reading this I'd check with pharmacies in your area. 

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
In Hennepin County Minnesota (Minneapolis area) the Sheriff's Department collects and disposes of old and unused prescriptions. 

Thanks for posting this.  Substance abuse is a major social problem.
Norman Teigen

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »
Yeah, in our town there's a locked repository at the police station; you can put old prescriptions there 24 hours a day.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:49:10 AM »
Don't however flush them down the drain,  they can get into the water supply.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:18:24 AM »
Yeah, in our town there's a locked repository at the police station; you can put old prescriptions there 24 hours a day.

I'm pretty sure that I could dump all my prescriptions in less than 2 minutes. Anyone who needs 24 hours has way too many drugs. :)
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »
Not to lose sight of the big picture:  get them [prescription drugs] out of your house and away from kids.  If you need prescription drugs, keep them locked up.   In addition to simply opening a bottle and taking the pills, kids have parties where they find drugs in the home, mix them up in a hat and take them as one might a mixed drink.  Deadly.  It is a spring-board to other deadly drugs.  I talked about the heroin epidemic to a group and someone said her children couldn't afford heroin.  Yes, they can - it's cheap and it's plentiful. 

Please let us not lose sight of the fact that kids are dying from substance abuse.  It only takes one experience - and that one experience can be bad. 

Again, it can't be repeated often enough: Parents are the first line in the defense of substance abuse and our congregations - our faith leaders - run a close second.  Please find ways to publicize this in your congregation.  Please add a petition to the Prayers of the Faithful, especially this month of Prevention.

I posted these websites yesterday, and posting again today.  Please consider putting them in your bulletin and/or newsletter.  Thank you! 
www.drugfree.org for tips and advice on starting conversations with your kids
www.drugfree.org/timetoact for parents who suspect or know their kids are using
www.drugfree.org/teenbrain for insight into teen brain development, and
www.drugfree.org/parent for a Parent Tool Kit offering videos and articles on how to talk to your kids at any age.
[/b][/b]