Author Topic: Plenary 6, Thursday morning  (Read 6156 times)

James_Gale

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Plenary 6, Thursday morning
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Kathie Bender-Schwich (assuming this is the same one-- the hyphenated name isn't familiar) is married to my cousin Dan Schwich, a fellow pastor and RJN nephew. He went to Valpo maybe ten or twelve years before I did and sometimes babysat us.

I do not believe Kathie uses a hyphen, but Lutheran in Illinois know her as "Kathie Bender Schwich"  Advocate Health Care is the ELCA/UCC hospitals and affiliated services system in Chicagoland.  Her husband Pr. Dan spells his surname "Schwick" for public, and he is Vice President, Office of Church and Public Engagement for Lutheran Social Services of Illinois, which makes his the face we see even more often than the President's.

Matt Riegel is Treasurer of the West Virginia-Western Maryland Synod and, with his passion for 19th century American Lutheranism, would make a fine Secretary in a mode similar to Pr. Almen -- a demonstration of which we have seen at several CWAs, including this one, with the clarity and preciseness of his amendments that fine tune, in important (and necessary) ways matters brought to the CWA with the Church Council's recommendation.  And he's a wonderful example of a pastor who is both thoroughly orthodox on matters of faith and morals while also being truly left-wing in matters of politics.

Paul Schreck was Lowell Almen's right-hand man, and would still make a very worthy successor.

Pax, Steven+

Thanks for this helpful background information. 

scott8

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

Is there a 45-year-old edition of Lowell Almen out there?

Well, I'm 45, and I've been told I have a rather droll and deadpan sense of humor, not unlike former Secretary Almen.  Alas, I'm now LCMS, so I guess that rules me out, huh?  Sorry guys, you had your chance.   :)

Steve --

I do question your qualifications to serve as ELCA secretary.  But my primary concern is not your LCMS membership.  It's your professed commitment to a truly evil force.  You know, the one emanating from the heart of darkness in the middle of Ohio.  I would try to help you with this.  But perhaps you'd be best served by contacting Pr. Yakimow for counseling and repentance.  And whatever you do, stay away from the Buckeye Deaconess (and Pr. Keith Falk, for that matter).  They will do nothing but lead you further down the road to perdition.

Jim Gale (among the "leaders and best" with a degree from the font of true wisdom in Ann Arbor -- (no, not Concordia, the other one))

Does it help my cause at all that the Buckeyes are only a secondary allegiance, and that my first fidelity is to the alma mater I share with one Glenn Schembechler? 

(Cue rebuke about "serving two masters" in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...)

That suggests that hope persists.  After all, St. Bo also once served the evils masters in Columbus.  But Bo overcame his affliction.  So I encourage you to hold the example of Bo before you!

This is my favorite picture re: Ohio.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
I've heard some chatter that the bishops would really like someone they know and trust in the office of secretary, and so may be inclined to vote for Boerger. I've heard others say that the front runner is active in some pro-gay and left-leaning political groups. I've also heard that Grorud is the preferred candidate of Higgins Road insiders.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »

Well, I'm 45, and I've been told I have a rather droll and deadpan sense of humor, not unlike former Secretary Almen.  Alas, I'm now LCMS, so I guess that rules me out, huh?  Sorry guys, you had your chance.   :)

Steve --

I do question your qualifications to serve as ELCA secretary.  But my primary concern is not your LCMS membership.  It's your professed commitment to a truly evil force.  You know, the one emanating from the heart of darkness in the middle of Ohio.  I would try to help you with this.  But perhaps you'd be best served by contacting Pr. Yakimow for counseling and repentance.  And whatever you do, stay away from the Buckeye Deaconess (and Pr. Keith Falk, for that matter).  They will do nothing but lead you further down the road to perdition.

Jim Gale (among the "leaders and best" with a degree from the font of true wisdom in Ann Arbor -- (no, not Concordia, the other one))

Does it help my cause at all that the Buckeyes are only a secondary allegiance, and that my first fidelity is to the alma mater I share with one Glenn Schembechler? 

That suggests that hope persists.  After all, St. Bo also once served the evils masters in Columbus.  But Bo overcame his affliction.  So I encourage you to hold the example of Bo before you!

Now, if you're thinking of Northeast Ohio and football, you really have to mention the Massillon Tigers. When my mother-in-law was in 6th  grade, Paul Brown was her science teacher.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

Now, if you're thinking of Northeast Ohio and football, you really have to mention the Massillon Tigers. When my mother-in-law was in 6th  grade, Paul Brown was her science teacher.

Paul Brown, yet another member of the "Cradle of Coaches" that is Miami University.

(My apologies in turning this to an exposition of college football coaches of the Great Lakes region.  I return you to your regularly-scheduled CWA conversation.)

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

Steve --

For those who don't understand, note the jersey in the picture in on the player assaulted in this video.  I recommend turning the sound off.  The background music is not pleasant, unless understood very ironically.