Author Topic: Plenary 4, Wednesday morning, memorials  (Read 2258 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Plenary 4, Wednesday morning, memorials
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »
First recommendation is en bloc approval of several matters, including:

Category A1: Gender Identity Discrimination
Category A2: Uniting American Families Act
Category A5: Social statement on criminal justice
Category A7: Immigration detention
Category B1: Hydraulic fracturing
Category B2: Fossil fuels

These are largely matters of referral and study; e.g., the last one has to do with Eucharistic hospitality, and the the proposal is to approve "a process to review the ELCA's guiding documents on communion practices" so that the assembly has approved requesting a review of Use of the Means of Grace with a report to the church council. The one on hydraulic fracturing has the assembly "recognize the complexity" of the issue and "encourage synods, congregations, members to inform and educate themselves through the lens of the social statements" etc.

A revised recommendation on Immigration return was then called up. This recommendation would have the ELCA "advocate for the adoption of comprehensive immigration reform legislation, consistent with guidance articulated in the ELCA message on 'Immigration' and as set forth by Lutheran immigration and Refugee Services" (with a list of specifics).

Discussion: Bp. Riley (NJ synod, where memorial originated) gave some background on memorial, and advocated need for an updated position. Another from New Jersey echoed concerns.

A member from Wisconsin proposed a minor amendment (really minor . . . to say "message entitled 'Immigration'" rather than "message on 'Immigration'"). They then voted on this (seems like it would have been a good place for the committee just to accept this as a friendly amendment!), and it was approved by 86%. Well, they have to talk about something, I guess. After prayer, the motion to approve the memorial as amended was approved by 95%.

Another memorial on immigration reform declares Sunday, June 22, 2014 as "Refugee Sunday" and celebrates the work of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service. Bishop of the originating synod (DC) speaks to it. There were a couple of typographical problems resolved by questions from the floor. Motion approved by 97%. This is beginning to sound like an LCMS convention.

Now comes a memorial asking for a review of Use of the means of grace. The issue here has to do with admission of Holy Communion--UMG states that only the baptized are admitted but many congregations are simply rejecting this and admitting all comers. The memorial asks only for review, but of course this is a hot button issue. Pr. Brant Clements (Northern Illinois) reports a heated discussion among pastors generated this memorial; he believes it is time for us to reconsider our policies. Next pastor speaking notes that current statement allows for congregational decisions about this issue, and then asks (rather inexplicably) whether this would lead to a statement like that on human sexuality. Memorials committee representative Susan McArver reports that this calls for a much simpler process--essentially a study by existing staff and leaders rather than a full-blown study committee. In fact, the memorial only asks that such a study be set up.

Bp. Burk speaks in favor, but encourages the assembly to encourage the church to actually take out UMG and study it.

Our own John Mundinger proposes amendment to include reference to the Small and Large Catechisms. Pena declares it out of order because it is a substantive amendment (i.e., it didn't follow the process for proposing in writing by deadline). This doesn't quite seem fair to me, since this memorial was only removed from the en bloc motion this morning, so there really wasn't time to propose any amendments in writing. Well, at least we've had a ruling from the chair that Luther's catechisms are substantive.  Approved 688-193.

Announcements by Swartling.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:28:05 AM by Richard Johnson »
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
Re: Plenary 4, Wednesday morning, memorials
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
First recommendation is en bloc approval of several matters, including:

Category A1: Gender Identity Discrimination
Category A2: Uniting American Families Act
Category A5: Social statement on criminal justice
Category A7: Immigration detention
Category B1: Hydraulic fracturing
Category B2: Fossil fuels

. . . . .

This is beginning to sound like an LCMS convention.

There do seem to be a few differences, however.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »
Of course. I was referring only to the nearly unanimous votes.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
Of course. I was referring only to the nearly unanimous votes.

I understand. 

I just laughed a little at the very thought of an LCMS convention considering a resolution on "gender identity discrimination" or even "hydraulic fracturing."

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
They then voted on this (seems like it would have been a good place for the committee just to accept this as a friendly amendment!), and it was approved by 86%.

There is no such thing as a "friendly amendment" in Robert's Rules. Once on the floor, the motion belongs to the Assembly, and not the movers of the motion.

spt+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
They then voted on this (seems like it would have been a good place for the committee just to accept this as a friendly amendment!), and it was approved by 86%.

There is no such thing as a "friendly amendment" in Robert's Rules. Once on the floor, the motion belongs to the Assembly, and not the movers of the motion.

spt+

Pena was playing loose enough with Robert's Rules that it could easily have been done. He just says, "Can we do that by consensus" and everyone says yes, and it is so.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
This is beginning to sound like an LCMS convention.

Is clergy-dominance a problem in the ELCA too?  Is there discernible pharisaical aloofness amongst the black-shirted clerical collared crowd? 

Tsk tsk tsk.  I thought you all were better than that?   ;) ;) ;)

Jeremy 
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
Only among the members of STS. ;) ;) ;D 
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?