Author Topic: Plenary 4, Wednesday morning, speeches of nominees and 3rd ballot  (Read 13471 times)

Matt Hummel

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Plenary 4, Wednesday morning, speeches of nominees and 3rd ballot
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »
And with very rare exceptions, when Lutherans extend a call, there is no termination date on any of them. Except for Bishop, where for American Lutherans a terminating date is the norm.  Some synods even have term limits.  I cannot imagine pastors or laity standing for this sort of thing in congregations.

Oh I don't know Steven- I can remember thinking that term limits for some lay members being a really good idea... :)
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »

Oh I don't know Steven- I can remember thinking that term limits for some lay members being a really good idea... :)

Now, Matt, I talking about a call in the Holy Ministry...  ;)
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Stormin Norman

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
Will this election change the direction of the ELCA?  I frankly doubt it, unless Bp. Eaton truly reaches out to the orthodox remaining in the ELCA with something substantive and not just nice words.  I suppose that she could also try to build at least some bridges to the NALC and LCMC.  (The new secretary will have a big role to play here as well.)  But any change is likely to be incremental at best.

Having served in the Northeastern Ohio Synod while Eaton served as bishop, not much will change.  She talks about making sure that the ELCA doesn't slide into just another liberal Protestant denomination but she's not tolerant of Lutheran orthodoxy in matters of sexuality.  As an interim pastor, I was told that she was the pastor of the congregation I served.  I served in her stead.  She did not like the fact that I allowed the congregation and leadership of the church to investigate the happenings that were occurring in the church as a result of the 2009 CWA.  She came close to accusing me of leading the congregation out of the ELCA.  I did no such thing despite some disapproval of those in the congregation who thought I should be outspoken.  When I finally determined that my future as a pastor in the ELCA was over I moved to the NALC and resigned as interim pastor. 

She has been very forthright to say that there were clergy in the synod that were not preaching the gospel and was very disapproving of pastors who were welcoming the unbaptized to communion.  She was extremely critical at conference meetings with clergy about the pastoral office, but it went no further.  Some might say, "What else is a bishop to do?"  I could think of a few things.

She famously said at a conference meeting after the 2009 vote when a question was raised by a congregational member about scripture passages which he believed spoke against homosexuality: "I don't believe in the Bible."  I'm not sure she's done anything great for the Northeastern Ohio Synod in years as bishop...but she also hasn't wrecked it.  She's probably not the best and certainly not the worst.  In all things, I do continue to pray for her in her service to the Church.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »

Now, Matt, I talking about a call in the Holy Ministry...  ;)

A good friend in seminary was issued a two-year term call as his first call. It was as a associate pastor - gave him and the congregation an easy out if the two pastors couldn't work together.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
She has been very forthright to say that there were clergy in the synod that were not preaching the gospel and was very disapproving of pastors who were welcoming the unbaptized to communion. 

After reading Richard's summary of the discussion regarding reviewing/repealing "Use of the Means of Grace" in the hopes of an official encouragement to inviting the unBaptized to the Holy Supper I view this aspect of PBp-elect Eaton's teaching with cautious optimism that orthopraxis may continue.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »

A good friend in seminary was issued a two-year term call as his first call. It was as a associate pastor - gave him and the congregation an easy out if the two pastors couldn't work together.

<sigh!>
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »

She has been very forthright to say that there were clergy in the synod that were not preaching the gospel and was very disapproving of pastors who were welcoming the unbaptized to communion.  She was extremely critical at conference meetings with clergy about the pastoral office, but it went no further.  Some might say, "What else is a bishop to do?"  I could think of a few things.

A bishop could also do less, a lot less. Trust me on this.

One of the handful of orthodox bishops put it this way: "Realistically speaking, she's the best we could have hoped for."
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS