Author Topic: Tuesday worship, Bible study  (Read 2845 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Tuesday worship, Bible study
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »
The Tuesday worship was again good. The musical theme was "Civil War era"--nobody explained quite why, maybe in recognition of 150's anniversary of Gettysburg? (This is Pennsylvania.) Prelude was a Sacred Harp version of "What Wondrous Love"--quite lovely. Sermon was engaging and moving. One frustration I have is that while the worship leaders (including preachers, presiders, etc.) are named in the bulletin, they aren't identified. So we know this is Pastor so-and-so, but not a clue where he or she serves or comes from.

After lunch was Bible study, which was in another room, around tables. It was a bit weak, IMO. Text was from Isaiah 42. There was a brief intro by Diane Jacobson, then a presentation by--wait for it--a "Christian hip hop artist" who goes by the name "Agape." He's doing a concert tomorrow night, but contrary to what Dr. Jacobson suggested I would want to do, I won't be attending. Then there was "around the table" discussion based on four questions. I was at a "non-voting member" table, so there was no designated leader and we stumbled along. It was kind of discouraging. There were four pastors and a layman at my table. One of the questions: "What song has sustained you in your time of exile?" OK. Well, I said, "The first thing that comes to mind is 'Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart.'" They all stared at me blankly. Not one of them knew the hymn. The others shared theirs. One was "I love to tell the story." One was "Shelter Me, O God." One was ... oh, I forget. Another responded that he couldn't think of any literal songs ("physical songs," he called them) so started talking about metaphorical songs. Sigh.

We got to talking about idolatry (from verse 8), and everyone had examples of "idolatry" practiced by those who don't want to "change" (music, traditions, customs, etc.). I mused about the "idolatry of the new," but I don't think anyone had a clue what I meant. Sigh again.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday worship, Bible study
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »
Richard- "idolatry of the new" is a very good phrase and worthy of reflection.  That seems like such an appropriate concept that applies to much of Christendom.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
I believe he [the preacher] is from the Chicago area:  http://www.shekinahchapel.org/.

A young woman in our congregation asked me the time of my surgery (a few years ago) and told me she would sing a hymn at that time - whatever hymn I would like.  "Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart" was my choice.  She had to learn it, but told me she now loves it.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »
Richard- "idolatry of the new" is a very good phrase and worthy of reflection.  That seems like such an appropriate concept that applies to much of Christendom.

Jeremy

Thanks. I see in googling it that somebody else actually thought of it first, in book on the Psalms in which he contrasts the "idolatry of the new" with the "tyranny of the same." But I haven't read the book, so I'll take some credit for the phrase.  ;D

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
The Tuesday worship was again good. The musical theme was "Civil War era"--nobody explained quite why, maybe in recognition of 150's anniversary of Gettysburg? (This is Pennsylvania.)
Ministering in a congregation which began at the same time as the opening shots of the Civil War, located at the other end of the rail line which began at Gettysburg, yea verily. 

An appropriate choice, as well as a subtle reminder of the ultimate consequences of a house divided against itselt, as Lincoln once referenced.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:25:04 PM by Rev. J. Thomas Shelley, STS »
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
Since the song was to sustain you in your time of exile, you should have just started singing it at the table. Or wouldn't they have taken the hint?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
Actually I did. They still didn't know it.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
Actually I did. They still didn't know it.
But they at least would have known that they were personally providing you with your time of exile. Actually all small group break out sessions do that for any sane person.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »
Nah. ELCA folks generally don't recognize anyone's exile that's a white heterosexual male. We're the oppressors, don't you know?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »
Nah. ELCA folks generally don't recognize anyone's exile that's a white heterosexual male. We're the oppressors, don't you know?
Well, if you need help oppressing others online, I'm here for you.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
What a guy.