Author Topic: Evening  (Read 2597 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Evening
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
The voting members were getting fed at the convention center, but I didn't feel like trying to crash it so I hoofed it looking for a restaurant. Got sort of swept up with a group of five others who kindly included me in their party. Turns out a couple of them, at least, was hear working for Reconciling Works (the new incarnation of Lutherans Concerned), so it made for some interesting dinner conversation. One of them (not the RW people, just some local volunteers), when he learned I was with Forum Letter, said, "Oh, I' a subscriber. i call it 'Cranky Letter.'" But later in the conversation he allowed as how he sits down and reads it all the way through the day it arrives. We hear that a lot.

The "opening" worship was surprisingly good--for the most part excellent hymns, well accompanied with organ and brass. Choral music was provided by the "Holy Trinity Bach Choir" (no indication as to whether they are associated with some Holy Trinity congregation somewhere, or just the Deity Himself), which sang "Der Geist hilft" and then portions of Lauridsen's "Lux aeterna"--quite lovely. A bit of a disconnect to jump immediately from the latter into "Unidos en la fiesta." (Nothing wrong with the song, particularly, just a disconnect.)

There was the ELCA-mandated big long poles with streamers during the procession, and the equally-mandated "put parts of the service into as many languages as you can manage." Bp. Hanson preached on the Ezekiel dry bones vision, and used it as an image of the feeling of "disconnection" in the ELCA (and in society), which I thought wasn't a bad image though I'm not sure how exegetically responsible it is, and there wasn't much gospel in the sermon (and certainly no law!).

All told, however, the worship service was better than I anticipated.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
Re: Evening
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
The voting members were getting fed at the convention center, but I didn't feel like trying to crash it so I hoofed it looking for a restaurant. Got sort of swept up with a group of five others who kindly included me in their party. Turns out a couple of them, at least, was hear working for Reconciling Works (the new incarnation of Lutherans Concerned), so it made for some interesting dinner conversation. One of them (not the RW people, just some local volunteers), when he learned I was with Forum Letter, said, "Oh, I' a subscriber. i call it 'Cranky Letter.'" But later in the conversation he allowed as how he sits down and reads it all the way through the day it arrives. We hear that a lot.

The "opening" worship was surprisingly good--for the most part excellent hymns, well accompanied with organ and brass. Choral music was provided by the "Holy Trinity Bach Choir" (no indication as to whether they are associated with some Holy Trinity congregation somewhere, or just the Deity Himself), which sang "Der Geist hilft" and then portions of Lauridsen's "Lux aeterna"--quite lovely. A bit of a disconnect to jump immediately from the latter into "Unidos en la fiesta." (Nothing wrong with the song, particularly, just a disconnect.)

There was the ELCA-mandated big long poles with streamers during the procession, and the equally-mandated "put parts of the service into as many languages as you can manage." Bp. Hanson preached on the Ezekiel dry bones vision, and used it as an image of the feeling of "disconnection" in the ELCA (and in society), which I thought wasn't a bad image though I'm not sure how exegetically responsible it is, and there wasn't much gospel in the sermon (and certainly no law!).

All told, however, the worship service was better than I anticipated.

Is it the Bach choir that sings at Holy Trinity in Manhattan?  Here's the web page.

John Mundinger

• John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
Pr. Johnson - I heard both Law and Gospel in that message.  The reference to dry bones and the corresponding disconnectedness that comes from being drying bones certainly was a message of Law.  The idea that God is making us new, the source of the sinew that binds us together; the source of our breath of life; etc. sounded like Gospel to me.

I think the choral group is from Trinity Lutheran Church in NYC.
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 06:47:48 AM »
Could be Trinity NY. I was too far away to recognize any faces in the photo, but the dress is the same.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53:16 PM »
Pr. Johnson - I heard both Law and Gospel in that message. 

I guess we'll have to disagree about that . . . but it was good to meet you, John!

Charles_Austin

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Johnson, Mundinger, Austin, and Stoffregen - all in the same convention hall here, sharing worship, legislative activity, discussion and fellowship. Whoo hoo!

Not to mention treats like Auxiliary Bishop Madden of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore, bringing greetings and praising our presiding bishop, LWF President Bishop Munib Younan and our work together.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:16:59 PM by Charles_Austin »

ghp

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
Johnson, Mundinger, Austin, and Stoffregen - all in the same convention hall here, sharing worship, legislative activity, discussion and fellowship. Whoo hoo!

Not to mention treats like Auxiliary Bishop Madden of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore, bringing greetings and praising our presiding bishop, LWF President Bishop Munib Younan and our work together.

Sweet fancy Moses! :o :o :o

It's both a sign of the Apocolypse, AND a chance for Peter to change the locks! 8) ;D 8) ;D

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »

Sweet fancy Moses! :o :o :o

It's both a sign of the Apocolypse, AND a chance for Peter to change the locks! 8) ;D 8) ;D
I would, but their convention at least has an election so it is more interesting than anything else we've got going on right now.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
It will be ironic, will it not, if it turns out that in the LCMS there was a concerted effort to elect a different president but he was nonetheless overwhelmingly reelected on the first ballot, while in the ELCA there was no discernible concerted effort and the incumbent ends up being defeated.