Author Topic: Does Matthew 18 Apply to ACELC's Antagonists?  (Read 8100 times)

scott8

Re: Does Matthew 18 Apply to ACELC's Antagonists?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Pastor Crandall, I would appreciate an apology for the offense your choice of abbreviation has caused.

I'm sorry you were offended.

http://www.rotundus.com/node/1303

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
Pastor Crandall, I would appreciate an apology for the offense your choice of abbreviation has caused.

My reaction exactly.
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
Some different meanings of SHT - and I don't see any that are offensive:

Sheet
Schädel-Hirn-Trauma
Studia Humaniora Tartuensia (online humanities journal)
Stichting Historie der Techniek (Dutch Foundation for the History of Technology)
Segway Human Transporter
Subclinical Hypothyroidism
Special Hull Treatment (tile)
Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation (Canada; also seen as DHT)
Systemic Hypertension
Spherical Harmonic Transformation
Seal Head Tank
Short Holding Time
Siilinjärvi Hockey Team
Suppressed High-Level Differential Transfer
Section Header Table (computer programming)
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

George Erdner

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
George,

The damage  the refusal to forgive does is inside the one who has been wronged. The damage that allowing unrepentant sin to continue uncontested and repented of does, is inside the one who does the wrong. I think, but I may be off, that the primary issue festering in Missouri is in the first rather than the second category.

I'm sorry, but if someone punches me in the face every day, whether I forgive him or not, I'm still getting punched in the face every day. Forgiving them is important, I won't deny that. But getting them to stop punching me in the face every day would be on my list of high priority things to do.

I don't know about you, but I don't like getting hit in the face.

::)

LutherMan

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »

Sheet
Schädel-Hirn-Trauma
Stichting Historie der Techniek (Dutch Foundation for the History of Technology)
Segway Human Transporter
Systemic Hypertension
Seal Head Tank
Short Holding Time
Siilinjärvi Hockey Team

http://www.allacronyms.com/SHT
24 SHT definitions
  Suggest New

Sheet
Short
Short Hold Time
Suppressed High-level differential Transfer
British Airways Shuttle
seal head tank
severe head trauma
Short Holding Time
shower and toilet
simple hypocalcemic tetany
Society for the History of Technology
Solar Horizontal Telescope
Solution Heat Treated
Solution Heat Treatment
spinohypothalamic tract
Standard Heat Treatment
subclinical hypothyroidism
subcutaneous histamine test
surface hopping trajectory
systemic hypertension
Schweizerische Hotel-Treuhand
Second Hand Trading
Software-Hardware-Technik
Standard Hough Transform

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
I also note that their webpage is: http://www.societyholytrinity.org/

The English: "Society of the Holy Trinity" appears much more often than the Latin: Societas Trinitatis Sanctae.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

Thanks Scott. That's 'way more high class than my instinctive response to the "apology."

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »

Pastor Crandall, I think it would go a long way to soften the blow if you could honor this request.  I was too dense to get it when I first read it until someone else pointed it out.  Play nice, now.  :)

I guess I would add that it's hard for me to take allegations against the ACELC seriously when groups like Daystar and OWN are doing the same thing they are being demonized for.  It just seems like more of that selective double standard I'm always critical of.

Good effort to no avail with Pastor Crandall, Deaconess.

On the other side of the equation, however, the thread title chosen by Ted has specifically to do with his attempt to defend the ACELC; the comments to that topic have been highly in the negative.  Your attempt to deflect is essentially the "best defense is a good offense" ploy.  Not working - there are plenty of Daystar/OWN-banging threads right down the road from this one. 

Robert Baker, and apparently you among others, are not picking up on what Paul McCain first outlined here as the schismatic nature of the ACELC effort, which is the recruitment of congregational members by circularizing the entire Missouri Synod. 

Dave Benke

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

Sheet
Schädel-Hirn-Trauma
Segway Human Transporter
Systemic Hypertension
Seal Head Tank
Short Holding Time
Siilinjärvi Hockey Team

Someone once distinguished knowledge and wisdom thus: to know tomato is a fruit demonstrates knowledge; to leave it out of the fruit salad, wisdom. To come up with a long useless list of things SHT supposedly could stand for is not either of those things.

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2013, 06:42:25 PM »

The LCMS isn't the Roman Catholic Church, or Nazi Germany, Dave.

Robert

You have truly excelled, Robert. In a thread as full of nonsense of all sorts as one is likely to see here, you have trumped them all with this matter-of-fact slander of Rome.

Mike Bennett

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

Yeah - but it is likely the best I can hope for. 

Modified because of my intemperate remarks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:19:03 PM by Keith Falk »
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Robert_C_Baker

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
Dave, your appealing to authority figures, dead or alive, or institutions, which sometime err, fails to support your opinion and hasty judgment that these men and congregations are schismatics.

Your lack of substantiated argument and apparent slander really are beneath the dignity of your offices as bishop, pastor, and Christian.

Tell you what, when you come to St. Louis for the convention, make some time to eat with me at Lorenzo's Trattoria, just a few steps away from my home on The Hill. We can have some good food (Larry's a great chef), and enjoy a few glasses of wine.

Then you can explain to this dullard and simpleton how what you've written on this thread is edifying to the body of Christ.

Robert

Pastor Crandall, I think it would go a long way to soften the blow if you could honor this request.  I was too dense to get it when I first read it until someone else pointed it out.  Play nice, now.  :)

I guess I would add that it's hard for me to take allegations against the ACELC seriously when groups like Daystar and OWN are doing the same thing they are being demonized for.  It just seems like more of that selective double standard I'm always critical of.

On the other side of the equation, however, the thread title chosen by Ted has specifically to do with his attempt to defend the ACELC; the comments to that topic have been highly in the negative.  Your attempt to deflect is essentially the "best defense is a good offense" ploy.  Not working - there are plenty of Daystar/OWN-banging threads right down the road from this one. 

Robert Baker, and apparently you among others, are not picking up on what Paul McCain first outlined here as the schismatic nature of the ACELC effort, which is the recruitment of congregational members by circularizing the entire Missouri Synod. 

Dave Benke

Robert_C_Baker

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
Mike,

One of my best friends is pastor of St. Therese de Lisieux in Wellington, FL. My children's book, What Happened to Merry Christmas? was endorsed by the Cardinal Archbishop of Boston. I have numerous Catholic friends, and a master's degree from a Jesuit university.

So, what you've written about me slandering Rome is just silly.

The LCMS isn't the Roman Catholic Church, or Nazi Germany, Dave.

Robert

You have truly excelled, Robert. In a thread as full of nonsense of all sorts as one is likely to see here, you have trumped them all with this matter-of-fact slander of Rome.

Mike Bennett

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Dave, your appealing to authority figures, dead or alive, or institutions, which sometime err, fails to support your opinion and hasty judgment that these men and congregations are schismatics.

Your lack of substantiated argument and apparent slander really are beneath the dignity of your offices as bishop, pastor, and Christian.

Tell you what, when you come to St. Louis for the convention, make some time to eat with me at Lorenzo's Trattoria, just a few steps away from my home on The Hill. We can have some good food (Larry's a great chef), and enjoy a few glasses of wine.

Then you can explain to this dullard and simpleton how what you've written on this thread is edifying to the body of Christ.

Robert

Dave Benke

You're on.  The after-dinner grappa is on me.

Dave Benke

John Mundinger

• John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »

Will the dinner conversation also include your explanation how ACELC's behavior, including the admonition, is edifying to the Body of Christ?
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine