Author Topic: ELCA Churchwide Assembly 2013  (Read 1526 times)

LutherMan

ELCA Churchwide Assembly 2013
« on: June 30, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
Are there any hot button issues this year like there was in 2009?  Is Pr. Johnson going to be reporting on it as in the past?

MEKoch

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: ELCA Churchwide Assembly 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
Like the ELCA, my local Synod is going thru the slow-dissolution process.  But at our Synod Assembly at the end of May, we had NO resolutions to consider!  Not even one......

You would think that there is plenty to talk about, but no one questioned the direction of the Synod at all.   

Mike Koch

Charles_Austin

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
You don't say why they should "question the direction of the synod". Or what  "slow dissolution process" is.

Dadoo

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
There will be a resolution from Oregon ( http://www.lutheransrestoringcreation.org/Home/synods/oregon-synod-divestment-resolution ) about divesting out of all fossil fuel industries.

the resolution seems to say:
WHEREAS, God has created us and all that exists, given and preserves our bodies and all the necessities for life [The First Article: On Creation, Luther’s Small Catechism]; and

WHEREAS, the 1993 ELCA Social Statement Caring for Creation: Vision, Hope, and Justice affirms that “we are called to care for the earth as God cares for the earth;” and

WHEREAS, the 1999 ELCA Social Statement Economic Life: Sufficient, Sustainable Livelihood for All recognizes that “the growth of economic activity during the twentieth century, and the industrialization and consumerism that fueled it, radically changed the relationship between humans and the earth. Too often the earth has been treated as a waste receptacle and a limitless storehouse of raw materials to be used up for the sake of economic growth, rather than as a finite, fragile ecological system upon which human and all other life depends;” and

WHEREAS, climate research is clear that there has been a rapid rise in the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, with current levels (400 ppm) the highest in the past probably 2,000,000 years. This increase has occurred most rapidly in the past 200 years during the worldwide Industrial Revolution;

WHEREAS, climate research is clear that burning fossil fuels is the major source of rising levels of carbon dioxide, negatively impacting our climate.

WHEREAS, with Caring for Creation, we realized the urgency was already “widespread and serious, according to the preponderance of evidence from scientists worldwide [of] dangerous global warming, caused by the buildup of greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide” from the burning of fossil fuels, and that “action to counter degradation, especially within this decade, is essential to the future of our children and our children's children;” and

WHEREAS, in Caring for Creation, the ELCA declares that we will seek to incorporate the principles of sufficiency and sustainability in our life. Therefore: “We will, in our budgeting and investment of church funds, demonstrate our care for creation;” and

WHEREAS in 1990 and 2007 the ELCA Church Council approved an Environmental Social Criteria Investment Screen that recommends limiting investments made in corporations which are the most egregious in terms of damage to human health or the natural environment and investing in corporations which are taking positive steps toward a sustainable environment.

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Oregon Synod memorialize the 2013 Churchwide Assembly of the ELCA to request that, by May 1, 2014, all ELCA congregations and independent, cooperative, and related Lutheran organizations and investment corporations:

a) Publish a list of the values of all fossil fuel stock and bond holdings,those entities to do the same; and

b) Cease any new investments in fossil fuel companies, and instruct asset managers employed by those entities to do the same; and 

c) Ensure that within five years, directly held or commingled assets in fossil fuels are removed from portfolios related to the ELCA; and

d) With the exception of congregations, release quarterly updates, available to the public, detailing progress towards divestment.

Swartling was at the assembly and recommended changes, but the originators where determined to have their resolution pass as is. After being sue over "divestment" in the past, I would imagine that the final resolution put before the CWA, if it even gets there, will be significantly different. But, for now, Earth-keeping is the new apartheid.

Our own, Southern Ohio Synod, had a number of resolutions but, due to a lengthy bishop's election, all of our resolutions were deferred to the council. One of them hoped that the ELCA will redefine what "voting member" means. In other words, what must one do to be considered such. Another would like to see "Healing" take a more central place in the ministry of the ELCA.
Peter Kruse

Diversity and tolerance are very complex concepts. Rigid conformity is needed to ensure their full realization. - Mike Adams

George Erdner

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
Like the ELCA, my local Synod is going thru the slow-dissolution process.  But at our Synod Assembly at the end of May, we had NO resolutions to consider!  Not even one......

You would think that there is plenty to talk about, but no one questioned the direction of the Synod at all.   

Mike Koch

I suspect that more than a few synods are deep in the slow-dissolution process. I also suspect that most of the ELCA's staunchest supporters and cheerleaders don't even grasp what the slow-dissolution process is, since they can't think creatively or imaginatively unless it's about new ways to justify revisionist thinking.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »
There will be a resolution from Oregon ( http://www.lutheransrestoringcreation.org/Home/synods/oregon-synod-divestment-resolution ) about divesting out of all fossil fuel industries. …

Swartling was at the assembly and recommended changes, but the originators where determined to have their resolution pass as is. After being sue over "divestment" in the past, I would imagine that the final resolution put before the CWA, if it even gets there, will be significantly different. But, for now, Earth-keeping is the new apartheid.

Why not resolve that all ELCA members, (1) walk; (2) ride bicycles; (3) buy electric cars; (4) buy hybrids; and (5) get ride of all vehicles that average less than 30 mpg?

One of my complaints with many of the resolutions - and one a former LCA bishop had - is that they usually ask someone else to do something, e.g., "the bishop should write the state legislature …." rather than commit ourselves to do something, "I will write the state legislature and seek to have every member of my congregation do the same …," which the bishop stated would be more affective than one letter from a bishop.

We revised on resolution to turn the sponsors of the resolution into a committee who was to oversee what progress had been made with their resolution (anti-bullying), catalogue the programs that addressed the issue; and issue a report at the next synod assembly. I don't recall that we received a report.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:08:30 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
There will be a Boy Scout memorial from Metro Chicago. Calling on congregations that charter Boy Scout troops to put BSA on notice that this year's re-chartering is provisional and may be withdrawn after a year if BSA doesn't stop excluding homosexual folks from adult leader positions. I couldn't make that up. Don't know how many other synods will have the same memorial (read organized movement) or whether if it's an example of Metro Chicagoroving itself "more progressive than thou."

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Team Hesse

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »

Why not resolve that all ELCA members, (1) walk; (2) ride bicycles; (3) buy electric cars; (4) buy hybrids; and (5) get ride of all vehicles that average less than 30 mph?

I think you mean mpg not mph....

Lou

LutherMan

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Will anyone be reporting live from the convention?

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »

Why not resolve that all ELCA members, (1) walk; (2) ride bicycles; (3) buy electric cars; (4) buy hybrids; and (5) get ride of all vehicles that average less than 30 mph?

I think you mean mpg not mph....

You think right. I wrote wrong. It's been fixed.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Charles_Austin

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
Contact the ELCA, Craig. They will probably be live streaming the sessions and posting actions almost as soon as they are taken. I'll be there, but to work on the Assembly coverage for The Lutheran.
   I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to be aghast, deride our leaders, lament the sorry state ELCA Lutheranism, be glad you are not us, express shock at the language used in worship, poke fun at memorials, and snicker at auditory bloopers.
   But most of us will be praying, celebrating Holy Communion (with some of our ecumenical partners participating  ;D ), singing, doing the business of the ELCA, celebrating our 25th anniversary, listening to reports on our mission, setting priorities for the years ahead, making new friends, greeting old friends, encouraging one another, even as we - wait for it - understand that we have gone through some troubles and that the road ahead might be bumpy.
   You do your little jittery jig and we'll step to a more stately pavane and kick it up to a passionate and complex tango when things get really going.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:39:01 PM by Charles_Austin »

LutherMan

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Contact the ELCA, Craig. They will probably be live streaming the sessions and posting actions almost as soon as they are taken. I'll be there, but to work on the Assembly coverage for The Lutheran.
   I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to be aghast, deride our leaders, lament the sorry state ELCA Lutheranism, be glad you are not us, express shock at the language used in worship, poke fun at memorials, and snicker at auditory bloopers.
   But most of us will be praying, celebrating Holy Communion (with some of our ecumenical partners participating  ;D ), singing, doing the business of the ELCA, celebrating our 25th anniversary, listening to reports on our mission, setting priorities for the years ahead, making new friends, greeting old friends, encouraging one another, even as we - wait for it - understand that we have gone through some troubles and that the road ahead might be bumpy.
   You do your little jittery jig and we'll step to a more stately pavane and kick it up to a passionate and complex tango when things get really going.
Wow!  What a nasty response...
I was just inquiring, ever read the eighth commandment meaning?

Charles_Austin

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
I'm quite serious, Craig. Not nasty, just accepting reality. I will be very very very surprised if everything I mentioned were not posted here on the ALPB forum.
And if there are any of those commandment concerns, let the consideration be universally applied.