Poll

Do we see Confession and Absolution this way?

Yes -
8 (100%)
No,
0 (0%)
We don't care to admit it
0 (0%)
Confession and Absolution?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Do we see Confession and Absolution this way?  (Read 2658 times)

pr dtp

Re: Do we see Confession and Absolution this way?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
Thanks, LCMS87.

I note that private confession and absolution will be available at the upcoming LCMS Convention each day (during the midday break when the delegates have no responsibility in the assembly) in the prayer chapel.  I have previously served twice as confessor at Synodical gatherings. It's not quite the unheard of thing that some comments here would have you believe it is among Lutherans.

Two years ago, at our PSW Pastor's conference, which dealt with (shhhh)  S-E-X, I was part of the committee that worked the conference.  We had four pastors that we chose to be chaplains of the conference, that we would be able to offer C&A should the issues bring up such a need.  Plus a lady psychologist - should there be a need for that as well.

Personally I think it is a great concept.

The pastor's chosen were from various factions of the synod - and most a-political guys.  I hope the same is true for the synodical convention.  Whether we want to admit it or not - there is a lack of trust across the boundaries that seem to exist.  Sometimes there are reasons for them, sometimes there are not.

Jay Michael

Re: Do we see Confession and Absolution this way?
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »
Jay,

Again, there is no answer to the question you ask, for it is the wrong question. It is a gift from your loving heavenly Father - who is exceedingly rich in the way He offers His love and grace to you. What you are asking is the same as the person who says: "I received forgiveness in the absolution, why do I need it in the Supper? Or in Baptism, why do I need the absolution?" What they have in common is treating the sacraments as "its" and not as what they are, God Himself coming to you in grace and love. That's why there isn't an answer to the question you ask. Corporate confession and absolution: a divine encounter with Him who is the Forgiveness of all your sins. Same with private. Same with Scriptural preaching. Same with the Eucharist. Same with opening the Scriptures and reading or hearing them read. None of these are "its" all of these are WHO.
The Lord's Supper carries with it the command "This do often".  As the liturgy reflects the scriptural command in 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  At least in this passage, there is no specificity as to whether the confession is to be corporate or private.  Are there references indicating that a preference between corporate and private confession ... or is the emphasis on privilege and gift confessing sin and receiving the Holy Absolution from God himself?