Author Topic: Parish Survival Guide for Senior Seminarians  (Read 917 times)

Russ Saltzman

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Parish Survival Guide for Senior Seminarians
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
This is the sort of letter I should have gotten my first year. Of course, I doubt I would have paid much attention to it.

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2013/04/a-parish-survival-guide-for-senior-seminarians/russell-e-saltzman
Russell E Saltzman
former editor, Forum Letter
former columnist, www.firstthings.com
essayist, https://aleteia.org/author/russell-e-saltzman/
email: russell.e.saltzman@gmail.com
Facebook: Russ Saltzman

Charles_Austin

Re: Parish Survival Guide for Senior Seminarians
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
So doggone good, like the sermon on the fish, that it either 1) makes my day and week, or 2) makes me think I should never again try to put words together 'cause they won't be that good.
Since I've got a few years to go and since I supped the coffee of arrogance this a.m., I'll keep #1 and let #2 go.
Nonetheless, cheers,

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
So doggone good, like the sermon on the fish...

I don't get it. You guys state that you're all about Christ and the Good News- Gospel. Yet you love sermons that are completely devoid of Gospel. (Yes, they might talk about the Gospel or mention Good News in the context of the law, i.e., "Get out there and spread the Gospel!") The sermons on the invented gospel and naked Peter certainly are witty and well written. But, so what? Neither has any explicit Gospel proclamation. Isn't that the purpose of a sermon- to proclaim the Gospel?

Perhaps an addition to the words to senior seminarians: Preach the Gospel. I was blessed and honored to have Dr. Feuerhahn preach at my ordination. I will always remember his message to me. "Donald, it's all about the forgiveness of sins."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:47:34 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Charles_Austin

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
Uh, oh! The starting bell rings and they're off!

Jay Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
So doggone good, like the sermon on the fish...
I don't get it. You guys state that you're all about Christ and the Good News- Gospel. Yet you love sermons that are completely devoid of Gospel. (Yes, they might talk about the Gospel or mention Good News in the context of the law, i.e., "Get out there and spread the Gospel!") The sermons on the invented gospel and naked Peter certainly are witty and well written. But, so what? Neither has any explicit Gospel proclamation. Isn't that the purpose of a sermon- to proclaim the Gospel?

Perhaps an addition to the words to senior seminarians: Preach the Gospel. I was blessed and honored to have Dr. Feuerhahn preach at my ordination. I will always remember his message to me. "Donald, it's all about the forgiveness of sins."
My retired pastor was cautioned early on ... possibly at his ordination to be weary if his sermons garnered too much praise ... they probably were  too heavy on the law and how to and too lite on the Gospel and what Christ HAS done for us.

The business of the church is to forgive and/or retain sins ... properly applying Law and Gospel.

vicarbob

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
The Senior Pastor who gave the Sermon at my First Mass reminded me, a good number of times..."pastor..GIVE US JESUS" !

Pax
Bob+