Author Topic: The ALPB Mutual technical support thread.  (Read 8544 times)

Jay Michael

Re: The ALPB Mutual technical support thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »
It is possible to print the entire contents of a thread ... is it possible to print the entirety of ones posting history?

Jay Michael

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
Resident software tester here ... Noting that Pr. Austin's smiley face avatar is nit displayed when viewing the forum on an I-pad.  Pr. Benke's avatar has been missing for a while when viewing the forum using Fire Fox ... A blank avatar box outline is displayed when using an I-pad.

What is the proper way to report this ... To forum tech support or to Simple Machines?
Rev. Austin's new mug shot avatar is rendered on the i-pad ... at least using Chrome  ... not the latest version as the latest version still has problems ... at least according to user reviews.   :(

Jay Michael

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »
With in the past ten days there his been a disturbing increase of erroneous quotes posted to this forum ... all of which have been posted WITHOUT the benefit of the quotation function.  The following are representative of this growing forum problem
Quote from: Rev. Charles M. Austin in a locked thread
Jay. has called another participant here "condescending and impudent" (even though he says he is "ignoring" that participant's remarks). Jay.'s insults stand.  Link to Locked Thread
Rev Austin was promptly notified of his error less than an hour later
Quote from: Pastor Ted Crandall in a locked thread
No, that was not Jay: Link to Locked Thread
followed by the source of the misquoted words.  Later the same day ...  the error was addressed yet again
Quote from: Jay. in a locked thread
Still awaiting an apology and full retraction of your blatant error!

Maybe you will now try to use the quote function which would have prevented this error! Link to Locked Thread
To date, the source of this erroneous post has acknowledged his error in the following manner
Quote from: Rev. Charles M. Austin in a locked thread
If those words were not directly used by Jay., ... then perhaps they were mis-attributed. ... I don't care. ... I will not apologize for that, for I believe it to be true.
A few days later a second misquote was brought to the attention of the forum ... made in spite of the "make over" that included a different avatar ... and again without the use of the quote function
Charles,

Please take another look at the post you are responding to in your post above.  It was not posted by Pastor Weedon.

Mel Harris
Meekly the following response followed within the half hour
Thank you. I have fixed my post and hope that it did not embarrass Pastor Weedon. My questions, then, were to NCLutheran, the one who bears a most dignified surname.
Nonethless, cheers,
CMA
which included an edit of the errant post indicating that the humble correspondent is capable of correcting his errors IF HE WANTS TO.
Yet again an errant quote ... again REFUSING to use the quote function .
Pastor Engebretson may not want my comments attributed to him.  ;)
followed by a defiant non apologetically response
Sorry, Pastor Kirchner, sometimes all you LCMSers look alike.  ;D

Not only can the humble correspondent NOT quote forum participants correctly, he miss attributes quotes of publications due to his refusal to avail himself of the quotation function
That answer is not specific enough, Pastor Engebretson. The Lutheran Witness article and the Concordia professor say that the LCMS "view" is specifically a young (several thousand years) earth view of creation. Is that true or is it not true, and if true, where has the LCMS said its official "view" is that the earth was created several thousand years ago?

BTW, the referenced article was not in the Lutheran Witness, but rather in the Reporter, the May issue.  The gentleman asserting the Synod's official position defending a young earth was the Rev. Dr. Joel Heck, theology professor at Concordia University - Texas.

Note that the word "APOLOGIZE" is never used without "not" preceding it.

Why all this on the "The ALPB Mutual technical support thread"?  Since this has become such a repetitive problem,  perhaps a post citing an error should address nothing other than the error thus enabling the moderators to easily remove the error in the event that this pattern of failure to acknowledge and correct erroneous posts continues.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Coach-Rev

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
so once again, a failed attempt at an avatar upload, with this error message:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

I've tried resizing the image, squaring the image, using different formats, all with no success.

What is the secret to getting a successful avatar upload?

George Erdner

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »
so once again, a failed attempt at an avatar upload, with this error message:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

I've tried resizing the image, squaring the image, using different formats, all with no success.

What is the secret to getting a successful avatar upload?

You cannot upload an avatar in here. What you can do is upload it to some sort of storage location, such as Photo Bucket, and then link to the URL for your stored image. As I understand it, the moderators have the option of allowing or not allowing graphics in the forum. They've chosen "no graphics". That's also why we cannot load graphics into posts. But even though they picked that option, Simple Machines still provides the tools on their menus.

John Mundinger

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
George - I tried that and the software said that the upload was successful.  But, the picture that I used doesn't show up.

Interesting!  Using photobucket as a web host for the picture worked.  Using ImageShack to host the same photo didn't.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:58:57 PM by John Mundinger »
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

Jay Michael

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
George - I tried that and the software said that the upload was successful.  But, the picture that I used doesn't show up.

Interesting!  Using photobucket as a web host for the picture worked.  Using ImageShack to host the same photo didn't.
Has anyone tried using SkyDrive, Google Drive, or similar online storage services to store the avatar?

Dadoo

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »
To be very honest, people: The avatars, since they load from a separate web site, tend to load very slowly. I have blocked them on the settings page to speed page loads in the forum pages. So, don't spend too much time finding spots to stash your avatars.
Peter Kruse

Diversity and tolerance are very complex concepts. Rigid conformity is needed to ensure their full realization. - Mike Adams

Charles_Austin

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
The pages load fine and fast for me; but on my hope computer I have to load them twice; the first click gets me a blank screen, then the next click gets the page; but it's fairly fast. This does not happen at the computer at my office all the time, but it happens some of the time.
It just means that I have to jump over an additional click-hurdle to get it. Good exercise for me, I guess.

Jay Michael

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
To be very honest, people: The avatars, since they load from a separate web site, tend to load very slowly. I have blocked them on the settings page to speed page loads in the forum pages. So, don't spend too much time finding spots to stash your avatars.
Agreed ... I doubt that I will ever use an avatar ... but thought the information may be helpful to those who do.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
I've tried a couple of different remote hosts for an avatar, providing the url for each, and I'm still not getting anything to run through.  Its a nice thought, but I seriously doubt I'll spend much more time on it.

Jay Michael

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
I frequently use the search function ... with limited success ... and normally restrict the search to the "Your Turn" category ... and have to change the search parameters each time I search ... Is there a way to save the search parameters?

George Erdner

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
There should be no noticeable download lag for anyone who isn't stuck on a dial-up connection, so long as the avatar images are small images around 2" by 2", and no more dense than 96 DPI. Now, if anyone has a 10" x 10" picture at 300 dpi, then yes, that will be slow to download.

SmithL

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2013, 01:11:56 AM »
I used to link to my Facebook picture, but it just disappeared from ALPB one day.  I've got a web site I use for other purposes, but I uploaded my Avatar, just so I could link to it.