Author Topic: The ALPB Mutual technical support thread.  (Read 8531 times)

Jay Michael

Re: The ALPB Mutual technical support thread.
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
Having just goofed using the quote function  :-[ :-[, and hopefully correcting it, how is the best way to handle this?

I have use the message function to notify a couple of forum participants when this has occurred in the past ... once involving one of my posts ... the other not.

I found my error as a result of a public post by one of the participants who I had improperly attributed material to.

Of these two methods of notification, which is preferable?  It is understandable that the public post may "clear" a person's name a bit quicker, it also may contribute to confusion when the original post is corrected ... but the notifying post may not be corrected.

Not pointing fingers or complaining, just interested in the thoughts of others. :)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
Have to admit, this is one of the most useful and edifying threads in a long while . . . though I don't like the reminder of how very little I know about computers.  :o

God's Word comes as Gospel and Law - sometimes at the same time!
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Jay Michael

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 01:08:27 AM »
I should add this to the tech support thread. Your user profile includes setting your time zone. A more reliable way to refer to any post in a thread is by the post number.
« Reply #198 on: Today at 05:24:49 PM »
While by far the best reference to a post is the link created by the quote feature. ;)  If for various reasons the quote function is NOT used, use of BOTH reply number and date/time is best.  The reply number becomes unreliable if a post upstream is deleted as a deletion renumbers ALL posts down stream.  Providing the actual date ... rather than using "TODAY" or "YESTERDAY" is highly encouraged as these designations change as the clock strikes midnight depending how your profile is set.

NCLutheran

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
A different way to link to a post permanently is the following:

At the very top of the post, there will be a sentence saying "Re: The Title of the Thread."

Right click on this sentence, and click "Copy Link Location"/"Copy Link Address" (for Firefox and Chrome), or the similar command in your browser.

Then simply paste into your post. The forum software will link automatically with just the URL. No worries about time zone or date.

So if I wanted to link to Mr. Erdner's original post, for example, this is how it would look in my post:

http://www.alpb.org/forum/index.php?topic=4858.msg296832#msg296832

If you want to shorten the link, use the URL code instructions that Pastor Tibbetts posted here.
The URL button is under the italics button on the reply screen.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:30:25 AM by NCLutheran »

Jay Michael

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
While this may be a Windows XP issue ... I view the forum on multiple computers ... and this computer when using the "shift+alt+p to preview" a forum post, my windows media player in invoked ... while another computer with XP properly displays a preview of the forum post.  Any ideas?

Chuck

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
While this may be a Windows XP issue ... I view the forum on multiple computers ... and this computer when using the "shift+alt+p to preview" a forum post, my windows media player in invoked ... while another computer with XP properly displays a preview of the forum post.  Any ideas?

1. Get rid of XP
or
2. Fix the shortcut in Media Player
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

Jay Michael

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Please enlighten me ... the machine belongs to someone else ... I may be able to change ... hopefully NOT mess up. ;)

Chuck

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
Please enlighten me ... the machine belongs to someone else ... I may be able to change ... hopefully NOT mess up. ;)

Find the shortcut to Media Player (on the desktop or the start menu)
right click on the shortcut
choose Properties
on the General tab, delete or change the shortcut

Almost impossible to mess up.  :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:55:02 PM by Chuck »
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

Jay Michael

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »
Find the shortcut to Media Player (on the desktop or the start menu)
right click on the shortcut
choose Properties
on the General tab, delete or change the shortcut

Almost impossible to mess up.  :D
Thanks ... only problem ... I deleted shortcut from the desk top AND programs menu ... and the "shift+alt+p" still brings up the media player ... should I have to reboot?

Chuck

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »
Thanks ... only problem ... I deleted shortcut from the desk top AND programs menu ... and the "shift+alt+p" still brings up the media player ... should I have to reboot?
Well, a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

Try this first...

Click on the start button and select Search from the right hand panel.
Search for Windows Media Player and that may show a shortcut.
Right click on that and proceed as before.

If that doesn't work let me know.
Chuck Ruthroff

Chuck

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »

One other thing...the shortcut may still be buried on the start menu. Try:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment

and see if it is there.
Chuck Ruthroff

Jay Michael

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »
One other thing...the shortcut may still be buried on the start menu. Try:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment

and see if it is there.
Nothing there but volume and sound recorder.

Ran Search on Windows Media Player.lnk ... found one buried in WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start Menu\Programs and deleted it. (It along with a total of three Windows Media Player.lnk shortcuts reside in the recycle bin.  shift+alt+p still opens Windows Media Player ... and search for Windows Media Player.lnk does NOT locate any more shortcuts ... any chance that one is hidden somewhere ... or should the recycle bin be emptied?

Thanks for your patience and help!

Chuck

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

Nothing there but volume and sound recorder.

Ran Search on Windows Media Player.lnk ... found one buried in WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Start Menu\Programs and deleted it. (It along with a total of three Windows Media Player.lnk shortcuts reside in the recycle bin.  shift+alt+p still opens Windows Media Player ... and search for Windows Media Player.lnk does NOT locate any more shortcuts ... any chance that one is hidden somewhere ... or should the recycle bin be emptied?

Thanks for your patience and help!

Very strange. Well, the last resort...

Find the program file.
(Usually C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player)

Right click and select properties.

If there is no shortcut key listed there, you are stuck.

It is weird because Ctrl+Alt+p is not a standard Windows XP shortcut which means someone at sometime chose that.
Chuck Ruthroff

George Erdner

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »
Why bother with any sort of crtl-shift keystrokes to preview when there's a perfectly easy-to-click button marked "Preview" right next to the one marked "Post"?

Jay Michael

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
Why bother with any sort of crtl-shift keystrokes to preview when there's a perfectly easy-to-click button marked "Preview" right next to the one marked "Post"?
Because sometimes a key stroke is quicker than mousing around. ;)