Author Topic: The ALPB Mutual technical support thread.  (Read 8558 times)

Coach-Rev

Re: The ALPB Mutual technical support thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
another problem here I've encountered is in loading an avatar (not that I need to embarrass myself or scare off people from the forum by posting one).  I've tried several times, unsuccessfully, to upload an avatar.  Apparently I do not have it in the proper format/size and it fails.  I've never felt the need to "figure out what I'm doing wrong," but perhaps someone here might know the issue.

GalRev83

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »
another problem here I've encountered is in loading an avatar (not that I need to embarrass myself or scare off people from the forum by posting one).  I've tried several times, unsuccessfully, to upload an avatar.  Apparently I do not have it in the proper format/size and it fails.  I've never felt the need to "figure out what I'm doing wrong," but perhaps someone here might know the issue.

Same here, Jeff. I have tried resizing a picture using some of the avatar-generating sites, no luck. They always end up distorted or just won't post.

Donna

John Mundinger

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »

Same here, Jeff. I have tried resizing a picture using some of the avatar-generating sites, no luck. They always end up distorted or just won't post.

Donna

You might try cropping/resizing the photo you want to use before uploading it to the host's website.  Photofiltre is an easy to use photo editing software that is reasonably priced (as in free) and available for download if you do not already have a photo editor installed on your computer.
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

George Erdner

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
The avatar field requires a square picture. If you use a rectangular picture, the system stretches it to fit the square format. The online cropping tools are one answer, but an easy method I've found is to just use Paint, the graphic utility that comes with Windows, and crop your picture to a square format. If you have an alternate graphic editor, great, but Paint is adequate. Around 96 dpi, that's adequate resolution for any picture on the web. And 2" by 2" is plenty large enough.

Also, there's no real rule about Avatars. One need not use a headshot portrait. You can use any sort of picture or icon that is not too detailed to make out in a little postage stamp image.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
all good advice, thanks.  Also all tried already.  Since I feel no real compulsion to cause all of you harm by posting a photo of me, its not a problem to solve that is very high on my priority list  ;D

Jay Michael

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
What's the BB equivalent to HTML's "A HREF" code?
Thanks
Here is an example I shared with another forum participant ...

Hallelujah   Note: Click on quote to see the HTML code.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
Thanks

our just place your cursor on it and look at the link displayed in the lower left hand corner of your browser window

Jay Michael

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
Thanks

our just place your cursor on it and look at the link displayed in the lower left hand corner of your browser window
That displays the URL linked to only ... while clicking quote will display the code that created the the "Hallelujah" link.

SmithL

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I knew how to post links but not how to change the text.

As far as Avatars, I never had luck uploading pictures but succeeded when I linked to an online picture.  I used to be linked to my Facebook picture, but that quit working.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

That displays the URL linked to only ... while clicking quote will display the code that created the the "Hallelujah" link.

Sorry - I misunderstood what you were getting at - its' a slow morning for me...

Jay Michael

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »
When replying to a private forum message there is an option to check "Save a copy in my outbox".  I see how to read incoming messages and how to create and send outgoing messages.

Where is the outbox and how can one review its contents?

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Outbox
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »

Where is the outbox and how can one review its contents?

If you are looking at your inbox, along the left side of the screen will be a MESSAGES menu. Your "outbox" will be found by clicking SENT MESSAGES.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:28:22 PM by The Rev. Steven P. Tibbetts, STS »
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
Have to admit, this is one of the most useful and edifying threads in a long while . . . though I don't like the reminder of how very little I know about computers.  :o
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Jay Michael

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »
Have to admit, this is one of the most useful and edifying threads in a long while . . . though I don't like the reminder of how very little I know about computers.  :o
You must be old enough not to have kids/nieces/nephews in the house and young enough not to have grand kids/nieces/nephews around ... it is getting to the point that I e-mail (nope .. no text yet) nephews (sorry, no geeky nieces) when I have a problem ... it is rather sobering for a ^&^ something year old to ask for assistance from a jr high nephew. ???

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 03:11:57 PM »
You're right about the age, but I save up my questions for when I see my kids. Actually they help me more with my iPhone and iPad than my computer.

But I do text. Just not with my thumbs.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS