Author Topic: WordAlone  (Read 30882 times)

LutherMan

WordAlone
« on: May 24, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »
It seems to me that WordAlone is made up of largely ALC-ELC types, lots of Norwegians.  Or does it just seem like that because of the MN roots of the organization?

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: WordAlone
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 12:50:53 PM »
It seems to me that WordAlone is made up of largely ALC-ELC types, lots of Norwegians.  Or does it just seem like that because of the MN roots of the organization?
I think that it has broaden since it began in opposition to the Concordate and CCM. At the time the ELCA was being created, it was noted that the LCA had nothing in it quite like the Haugean piety and the Lutheran Free Church that was part of the ALC. Similarly, the ALC had nothing quite like the Augustana liturgical piety that was part of the LCA. The Haugean piety included a bit of anti-heirarchy in its beliefs. (Hauge was a layman who spoke against the state church.) I remember that during the first few years after the new church, most of the ALC congregations who withdrew, joined/returned to the Association of Lutheran Free Congregations.

As I recall, Luther Seminary (originally a Norwegian Lutheran seminary) was the only seminary who spoke against the Concordat/CCM, whereas 5 or 6 other ELCA seminaries spoke in favor of the full communion agreement.

Both the Norwegian history and seminary training helped form the foundation of beliefs that brought WordAlone into being.

There's also a bit of geography involved. In the East, where the LCA was stronger, bishops were normally officiating at ordinations prior to CCM. So many Lutherans in the East didn't understand what the big deal was all about. In the midwest where the ALC was stronger, bishop normally authorized another ordained pastor to officiate at ordinations. So many Lutherans in the midwest saw CCM as calling for a major change in practice.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 09:03:45 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Mel Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »

Self disclosure:  I was baptized in an ELC congregation, and confirmed and ordained in that same congregation when it was ALC.  I went to Wartburg Theological Seminary, not Luther.  I am not, and have never been a member of WordAlone, but once a number of years ago, I did speak in favor of a resolution at a synod assembly, that was sponsored by WordAlone members in that synod.  I do count a number of WordAlone members as friends and trusted colleagues.

I do not have any hard data about WordAlone members, but the vast majority of those that I know were formerly members of the ALC.  Most of them, however, did not come from ELC or Lutheran Free roots.  (My experience may be limited by the parts of the country where I have been living in recent years.)  I would say that the membership of WordAlone is much more complicated than just an ethnic Norwegian or upper midwest phenomenon.

Mel Harris
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:58:02 PM by Mel Harris »

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 07:26:29 AM »
One word, Forde. Another, Justification. This drives the theology of WordAlone more than anything I've noticed.

Myself, I like WAN because Jaynann Eglund gets it. And she can beat you up like your big sister. She just might have to do that.

pilgrimpriest

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:16:14 AM »
One word, Forde. Another, Justification. This drives the theology of WordAlone more than anything I've noticed.

Myself, I like WAN because Jaynann Eglund gets it. And she can beat you up like your big sister. She just might have to do that.

Ditto. Memory eternal, Gerhard!

Fr. Bob

Vern

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
Although I was at the WordAlone convention  last year, we just had our first meeting of the St Paul area WordAlone group. It was great, and we are thinking that we want to meet monthly for awhile.

Vern

LutherMan

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
I find it interesting that WA has come up with a "house of studies" independent of ELCA, and don't want to use ELCA's established seminaries, yet WA remains within the ELCA. 

I have a cousin who is an ELCA pastor in MN, he came out of ALC.  Not sure if he is WA or not, I know that CCM really bugged him.

Ah, well.  We have our divisions in LCMS & ELCA has hers.  I wonder who will have the first schism?

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 09:04:53 PM »
Ah, well.  We have our divisions in LCMS & ELCA has hers.  I wonder who will have the first schism?
Does the AELC count as a schism?
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

LutherMan

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »
 ;D I should have said next schism.  I was giving AELC & those who left ELCA for AFLC  & LCMC, etc. a pass.  I think the next Lutheran schism will br huge.  Bigger than TEC's.

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 10:28:36 PM »
Does the AELC count as a schism?

Well, one could say that it is an ongoing schism...

ROB_MOSKOWITZ

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
;D I should have said next schism.  I was giving AELC & those who left ELCA for AFLC  & LCMC, etc. a pass.  I think the next Lutheran schism will br huge.  Bigger than TEC's.

Yet if the AELC was a schism from the LCMS and thus the ELCA a subsequent schismatic group (containing congregations of a former body which was a definition I was recently given) then those who then move back toward the understandings of the LCMS are actually rebelling against the schism.

Seen plainly in the base common understandings of the faith and scripture in contrast to the theological deviation from the traditional Lutheran teachings such as revisionist understandings.

I think the conservative Anglicans see it the same as they are not a schism from TEC but are leaving the schism of TEC for the original faith they have kept in common with the global south.

Yours In Christ
Rob Moskowitz

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 10:43:06 PM by ROB_MOSKOWITZ »

LutherMan

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 10:51:36 PM »
It gets more interesting and makes one wonder if realignments are the future of American Lutheranism, or if maybe apathy and sluggishness will win out? 
Some of us, God willing, shall see.

And then there is TEC & global communions...

Vern

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »
Would you also count LCMC as a schism?

Vern (A WordAlone Member)

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »
Would you also count LCMC as a schism?
I don't think that it began as a schismatic group, but as an association for more like-minded ELCAers. One might compare its early years to ELIM (Evangelical Lutherans in Mission) that was part of the LCMS. However, it seems to have become more like the AELC in later years. Within the LCMS, the move from ELIM (part of LCMS) to AELC (a separate Lutheran body) was sudden and quite dramatic with the walkout/expulsion at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and included a different organization and letters.

I see the movement of LCMC doing essentially the same thing, but within the one organization (no change of letters) and a slower evolvement into a separate Lutheran Body.

Vern

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »
There are some folks in WordAlone that are starting to talk about leaving the ELCA and starting a new Synod. They feel the ELCA is too far gone.

Vern