Author Topic: WordAlone  (Read 30870 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: WordAlone
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »
There are some folks in WordAlone that are starting to talk about leaving the ELCA and starting a new Synod. They feel the ELCA is too far gone.

Haven't they already sort of done that with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ [LCMC]? While this began more as a support group, it has become an organized Lutheran Body, recognized by the ELCA as another Lutheran body. There is also The Association of American Lutheran Congregations [TAALC] that was created just before the formation of the ELCA by ALC congregations who did not want to be part of the ELCA.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:47:58 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 03:54:45 PM »
recognized by the ELCA as another Lutheran denomination.

Don't you mean "ananthemized by the ELCA"

Vern

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »
Brian,
I take Communion at a TAALC Church rather than at my home congregation of over 70 years.

Vern

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »

Nope. They are recognized as another Lutheran body. The ELCA 2007 Yearbook lists 27 Lutheran Church Bodies in the U.S. and Canada. Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ is listed as one of those bodies on page 725 & 727.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
I take Communion at a TAALC Church rather than at my home congregation of over 70 years.
That's fine. The question was why would WordAlone want to start another denomination when we already have LCMC and TAALC which were formed as alternatives to the ELCA.

Vern

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 10:21:30 AM »
I don't believe the TAALC has ever been a part of WordAlone. LCMC was originally designed to guide ELCA congregations. I would think that you could possibly get these and others to consider joining  together to form a new synod. Multiple synods probably would not help.

Vern :-\

mchristi

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »
I don't believe the TAALC has ever been a part of WordAlone.

Correct.  They formed in 1987 or 1988, mostly as a group of ALCers unhappy with the merger forming the ELCA.

Mark C.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 12:21:16 PM »
I don't believe the TAALC has ever been a part of WordAlone. LCMC was originally designed to guide ELCA congregations. I would think that you could possibly get these and others to consider joining  together to form a new synod. Multiple synods probably would not help.
Right, TAALC was formed at the same time as the ELCA -- before WordAlone existed -- but it began as an alternative for clergy and congregations who did not want to be part of the ELCA.

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »

Nope. They are recognized as another Lutheran body. The ELCA 2007 Yearbook lists 27 Lutheran Church Bodies in the U.S. and Canada. Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ is listed as one of those bodies on page 725 & 727.

Did they ask to be recognized as that?

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
Did they ask to be recognized as that?
I doubt that any of the 27 asked to be recognized as a Lutheran Body, but LCMC along with the others, fit whatever criteria was being used for recognizing Lutheran Bodies in the U.S. and Canada.

Are you saying that it is not a Lutheran Body in the U.S.?

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 01:08:39 PM »
No. I'm just saying that LCMC did not begin as a denomination and from what I understand that is not what many of them think they are. They think they are an association. They began as an association of ELCA congregations. As I said before they are not a cominingling of different congregations but all were or are ELCA.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »
No. I'm just saying that LCMC did not begin as a denomination and from what I understand that is not what many of them think they are. They think they are an association. They began as an association of ELCA congregations. As I said before they are not a cominingling of different congregations but all were or are ELCA.

And the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations is also an association of congregations -- and listed as a Lutheran Church Body.

At some point in the LCMC some of its member ELCA congregations withdrew from the ELCA and remained in LCMC. At that time it became something different than just an association of like-minded ELCA congregations.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:14:09 PM by Brian Stoffregen »

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »
And the logic is what, that denomination is the only form of church that is possible?

Richard Kidd, STS

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 07:34:29 PM »
Brian said:
nd the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations is also an association congregations -- and listed as a Lutheran Church Body.

At some point in the LCMC some of its member ELCA congregations withdrew from the ELCA and remained in LCMC. At that time it became something different than just an association of like-minded ELCA congregations.

Isn't the LCMC basically like AFLC except the LCMC ordains women? Isn't the ELCA the only Lutheran church that ordains women with the exception of the LCMC??

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 09:13:52 PM »
And the logic is what, that denomination is the only form of church that is possible?
I don't believe that I called LCMC a "denomination," but "Lutheran Body" as our Yearbook does.