Author Topic: Lutheran Levity  (Read 28972 times)

Norman Teigen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
Re: Lutheran Levity
« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2021, 07:25:15 AM »
A recent Festschrift recalled an old joke by my late father on the weather in Minnesota.   "Many are cold, but few are frozen."
Norman Teigen

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2021, 09:52:26 AM »
Actually, Mr. Hummel, I accept lectures from quite a number of people. Sadly, none of them inhabit this modest forum, or you guys could benefit from them too.

Golly Chuck, just a little whimsy. Go eat your cat, or pet a cookie.

Who says lefties are humorless scolds?

What?  Where did that come from? 

I bat left, throw left, eat left, bowl left, write left, putt left (but hit the rest of the shots righty because there were no left-handed clubs when I was young).  Humor/creativity/the ability to get out from under the overlord engineers of the world, comes from the right brain (yes, right), which is where lefties spend their hours and days, while the left-brained righties are engineering their path to nowhere pleasant.  We lefties see, no feel and perceive, the universe as one giant divine laugh riot.  On a good day.

Dave Benke

Yabut have you met Phil Mickelson?  I mean, even when he tries to smile he ends up looking like someone who ought to be institutionalized.

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/golf/players/full/308.png&w=350&h=254

And herein lies the humor - Phil Mickelson, aka "Lefty", is right-handed and has always been so.  A frumpy engineer trapped in a fluid left-handed golf swing.

Dave Benke

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
Actually, Mr. Hummel, I accept lectures from quite a number of people. Sadly, none of them inhabit this modest forum, or you guys could benefit from them too.

Golly Chuck, just a little whimsy. Go eat your cat, or pet a cookie.

Who says lefties are humorless scolds?

What?  Where did that come from? 

I bat left, throw left, eat left, bowl left, write left, putt left (but hit the rest of the shots righty because there were no left-handed clubs when I was young).  Humor/creativity/the ability to get out from under the overlord engineers of the world, comes from the right brain (yes, right), which is where lefties spend their hours and days, while the left-brained righties are engineering their path to nowhere pleasant.  We lefties see, no feel and perceive, the universe as one giant divine laugh riot.  On a good day.

Dave Benke

Yabut have you met Phil Mickelson?  I mean, even when he tries to smile he ends up looking like someone who ought to be institutionalized.

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/golf/players/full/308.png&w=350&h=254

And herein lies the humor - Phil Mickelson, aka "Lefty", is right-handed and has always been so.  A frumpy engineer trapped in a fluid left-handed golf swing.

Dave Benke

Little known fact, Mike Vick does everything right handed, writes, plays golf, baseball -- all of it -- except throwing a football (and, I believe, shooting a basketball), which he does left handed.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
Did you hear the joke about the feminist? Not funny.

Peter (Charles is right about context. There are jokes I told as a commercial pilot in the 8oís that Iíd not tell nowadays) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
"I found it was tough to get people to laugh at the kind of absurd one-liners I was telling when I first started out. But once Iíd written a joke where the twist at the end was mean, the reaction was so much bigger. It was just guttural. That was a lightbulb moment for me, and I thought everything should have a mean twist. I think the biggest laugh is when someone laughs at something they donít think they should be laughing at. Itís just a different kind of laugh, and thatís the only laugh I want from an audience."

-- Anthony Jeselnik

He went on to say:

"Thereís no line. Comedy can go anywhere, as long as you can make it funny. Thereís a Laurence Olivier quote: 'Thereís no such thing as overacting.' You can go as big as you want; you just have to fill up the spaceóyou have to see the character get to that moment. So you can talk about anything horrible, you just have to build to it, or put it in a context that makes sense. Where people might say, 'Oh, you definitely canít make fun of that,' all that interests me is trying to make those things funny. People probably have their own lines, but my job is to push that line as far as I can or obliterate it completely and make somebody laugh at something they never thought theyíd be able to laugh at."

The entire point of comedy is to bring release and laughter to a world that needs it.  Generically speaking, I find that folks who get offended by jokes could stand to laugh more.  It would do them good.  Which brings me to my final Jeselnik joke/observation/social commentary, which I have cleaned up for you all to avoid the use of foul language:

"One year in high school I had to take the standardized test.  You know?  Supposed to tell me what I had to do with the rest of my life.  And my results came back...they said I had to either be a rocket scientist or run a laundry service...OR...stop cheating off the Asian kid. 

Now, that's a really smart joke.  Usually only Asian people get it.

I tried to make that joke on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.  First comedian to ever perform on that show.  I don't know if that sounds like a big deal to you guys but it should.  And when you do standup on a TV show, you have to go through a thing called Standards and Practices.  Do you know what Standards and Practices is?  It sounds like an official thing, right?  Like, they tell you what you can and can't say on TV based on how offensive it is.  And it sounds like it would be really official, but it's not.  It's just one person randomly who works there that day, so they're always kinda ridiculous.

And on Jimmy Fallon, they were like 'Anthony, you can't tell that Asian joke.  That's too offensive for us.  You have to change it.  I'm like 'well, what do I have to change?'  She goes 'well, you can't say run a laundry service.  That's the offensive part.  You have to change that to a different Asian stereotype.  And I was like 'really? ANY other Asian stereotype is fine?'  And she says "no, Anthony.  Actually, not laundry service, and not manicurist either.  But anything else is cool.' And I said 'lady, that's insane! It doesn't leave me with any options!'

But she goes 'you got five minutes to think of something.  Go.' So I walk away and I'm racking my brain, and finally, I come back to her after five minutes and say 'okay....how about instead of laundry service I say build a railroad?'

And a lot of you are laughing but the rest of you should have gone to class.  I'm not even gonna say what that means.  Just know that 'build a railroad' is like a BILLION times more offensive.  A billion times more offensive than running a laundry service.  And this woman looks me right in the eyes and says 'Anthony....build a railroad?  That's perfect!"

Now the point of that story is that people who get offended by jokes ... are stupid.  Remember that."
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 30, 2021, 11:34:28 AM »
It was a joke, for heavenís sake! Lighten up. Everything ainít ponderous solemnity.And I thought the deacon would get it, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently when you are saving the world, itís hard to smile.(That too, is a joke, so don;t start.)
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 30, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
It was a joke, for heavenís sake! Lighten up. Everything ainít ponderous solemnity.And I thought the deacon would get it, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently when you are saving the world, itís hard to smile.(That too, is a joke, so don;t start.)

Ouch! 

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 30, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
I deleted the discussion about people taking offense so that this thread can remain simply for Lutheran levity.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 30, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
An elderly man enjoyed attending his congregation's monthly dinners for retirees.
As an old bachelor he was happy to eat a tasty meal and have some fellowship.

Last month after the dinner the kitchen chairman asked if everyone would please
remove their dirty plates.  The elderly man jumped up and asked in a loud voice:
"Do you mean the uppers or lowers?"

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 05, 2021, 10:08:58 AM »
A young pastor was having trouble controlling his weight and was becoming chubby.
His doctor told him to lose some weight.  He suggested the minister run 5 miles a day
for 2 weeks.

After following the doctor's orders, the pastor phoned him and said: "Doctor, I am now
70 miles from my home."

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #355 on: August 05, 2021, 12:09:05 PM »
On the topic of levity, in case you do not believe this is possible any more, there are stand-up comedians who actually can be funny without vulgarity.  One of them is a member/member-in-exile-in-California, Lizzie Boeck.  Her dad Rick is an LCMS pastor, and she was in a former life the starting center on Northern Iowa's women's basketball team when they went all the way to the sweet 16 in the NCAA.  Lifetme LCMS.

Anyway, here's a link to podcasts of "What the Heck with Lizzie Boeck" - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/what-the-heck-with-lizzie-boeck/id1507428769

While visiting in the East, she's doing a show this week I think in Harlem called "Holy Mike."  We're big fans of hers at St. Peter's!

Dave Benke

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 07, 2021, 03:31:43 PM »
Lutherans ó All the boring parts of Catholicism married to all the boring parts of Protestantism. The original Protestants, the Lutheran church began in 1963 shortly following Martin Luther's "I Have A Dream" speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial. In order to join, a person must be at least 70 years old, live in Lake Wobegon, and have a bizarre obsession with Jell-O.
https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon-bee-guide-to-denominations

At least I have one qualification as Lutheran, for our pot luck (a Lutheran characteristic that the Babylon Bee missed) I'm making a Strawberry gelatin salad.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 04:06:32 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2021, 04:34:42 PM »
A  recently retired Lutheran pastor was asked by the local newspaper reporter:

"What was the secret to your long pastorate of 30 years at Peace Lutheran Church?"

The retired pastor replied: "It was keeping the members who dislike you away from the
members who are undecided."