Author Topic: Lutheran Levity  (Read 28967 times)

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Lutheran Levity
« Reply #315 on: November 17, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
My dad was a college freshman at Concordia Jr. College, Milwaukee during the 1935-36 school year.
The legendary Athletic Director and  Basketball Coach was Bill Ackmann.   One day during a hoops
 practice session one of the players was really messing up on both offense and defense. It was bad.
Coach Ackmann told the guy, "You could help this team a lot more, if you played in the college band."
 The guy walked off the basketball court and quit the team.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:45:43 PM by Dave Likeness »

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
Hilarious, Dave.   ::)
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
It would be even funnier if the fellow went into business, succeeded fabulously, and gave generous donations to the college's band and music programs but not a cent to the athletic programs.  Or better yet, he left Concordia, succeeded, and gave large sums to some other college.  If life were fair then all moments of unkindness and failures of charity would reap the bitter fruit of unintended but logical consequences.

And I hasten to add, I am fortunate that life isn't fair because I'd be reaping far more bitter fruit which I fully deserve for cutting and belittling remarks that seemed humorous at the time and in the moment but in retrospect were not funny.  And if one has to say, "Well you had to be there at the time...it was funny at that moment..." then the reality is that it wasn't all that funny or humorous to start with.  Saw and heard my share of coaching cruelties passed off as "motivation" as a participant in high school (football, wrestling, track, baseball) and college (wrestling) athletics.  Strange how this struck me and impelled me to respond when I've learned to restrain responding to other posts on ALPB.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:00:15 AM by Pastor Ken Kimball »

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »
Had to correct the first sentence of my second paragraph above to fit reality.  The truth is that if life were fair I would deserve far more bitter fruit for my own misdeeds and sinfulness than I actually experience.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »
Heard on the news tonight that a Manger Scene is part of the White House Christmas celebration.  This is the first time since Trump was elected that wise men have been seen in the White House.
Norman Teigen

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »
Three religious men were talking about their families.

The Methodist father said:"I have 4 children, one more and I will have a basketball team."

The Roman Catholic father said: " I have 8 children, one more  and I will have a baseball team"

The Mormon husband said: "I have 12 wives, one more and I will have a nervous breakdown."

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
A Lutheran pastor was just one year out of seminary when he had his first marriage
counseling case in his church in St. Paul, Minnesota.  His plan for restoring harmony
was to have the husband and wife sleep in separate bedrooms.  So the husband was
told to sleep in St. Paul and the wife was told to sleep in Minneapolis.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
Good one.  My wife bought me a t-shirt on a shopping trip to St. Paul.  "The Bible talks about St. Paul but doesn't mention Minneapolis."
Norman Teigen

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »
Good one.  My wife bought me a t-shirt on a shopping trip to St. Paul.  "The Bible talks about St. Paul but doesn't mention Minneapolis."

Does the Bible ever refer to him as "St. Paul"?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »
OMG! A potential theological or (OH! NO!) biblical error in a humorous T-shirt! Call out the inquisition!
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2021, 12:46:33 PM »
OMG! A potential theological or (OH! NO!) biblical error in a humorous T-shirt! Call out the inquisition!

It's OK.  No need to wet your pants.  It was only a joke.  Now, go on and pet a cat, or play in the sandbox, or whatever it is you always tell others to do.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »

It's OK.  No need to wet your pants.  It was only a joke.  Now, go on and pet a cat, or play in the sandbox, or whatever it is you always tell others to do.

The best construction on his post is that he was engaging in self-parody.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
Yesterday, I talked to a local pastor in our city.  He said that he had a Military wedding
last weekend.  The father of the pregnant bride held a shotgun to the head of the groom.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 01, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »
As a young child, Jesus went to PreSchool in Nazareth.
His favorite nursery song was:  "Mary Had A Little Lamb".

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »
In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve had an Angel who tutored them daily in math.
Adam asked the Angel the reason for this extra education.  The Angel replied: "Because
God told you to be fruitful and multiply."