Poll

How should pseudonyms be handled on ALPB

Maintain the status quo and stop whining about them.
30 (58.8%)
Forbid them.
3 (5.9%)
Allow them, but discourage their use.
6 (11.8%)
Make up strict rules for the Moderators to enforce.
2 (3.9%)
Publish some guidelines and ask for voluntary compliance
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: The Use of Pseudonyms on ALPB, yes, no, or maybe  (Read 5353 times)

LutherMan

Re: The Use of Pseudonyms on ALPB, yes, no, or maybe
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »
For heaven's sake! "Italy" didn't even exist until the late 1800s. And the tomato, having originated in what would become "the Americas," didn't reach the boot-shaped peninsula until the 16th Century.
There is no "Italian" cuisine.
And the degree of differences among the various regions of what is now Italy is quite great.
True "foodies" and people who know their way around a kitchen never refer to "Italian" cooking.

It's like American cooking, many regional variations so that New England, California, South West, and New England cooking all have their own distinct characteristics.  Similarely Chinese cooking.

Dan
True "foodies" and people who know their way around a kitchen never always refer to "Italian" American cooking...
 :)

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »
McDonald's, anyone?  :)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
Well, I do understand what George is saying, but I also understand the Italian woman who said that there's no such thing a Italian cooking.

For Italians, the method used in one's region is the right way!  I hear it in the way my family and other Italian families speak.  "How do you ('you' not a person, but region) make your gravy?"  "We (again the region) do it this way."  Italian cooking is very regional and regions do not yield easily as to cooking methods.   I cook in the style of Abruzzo - that is, the right way.  Get it!

As to whether or not there is "Italian food" - the Culinary Institute of America has on its website describing their restaurant, Caterina de Medici, "...is located in the beautiful Colavita Center for Italian Food & Wine.  Its a' la carte menu features....and authentic flavor combinations of this much-beloved cuisine.

For a laugh on Italian cuisine, try to find the movie, "The Big Night." Two Italian brothers open an Italian restaurant, seeking to serve "real" Italian food - that is, not spaghetti and meatballs.  A woman orders risotto - with a side of spaghetti.  The brothers try to explain that you simply don't eat two starches together.  Well, maybe you would had to grow up knowing that one NEVER has two starches together to appreciate this - but it is a really funny movie.

George Erdner

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:53 PM »
Well, I do understand what George is saying, but I also understand the Italian woman who said that there's no such thing a Italian cooking.

I suspect that the Italian women in question was merely engaging in some regional chauvinism, using a little hyperbole to make her point.

RevSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I use my real name but have no problem if someone chooses not to. We have no idea why someone might choose not to and frankly it's none of our business. I really don't understand why some on here seem to feel entitled to know everyone's real name, nor the need to suggest that hiding one's real name is cowardly and unethical.
Pastor Steven M. Bliss LCMC and NALC-  St Olaf Lutheran Church, Bode, Iowa

New quote, got tired of questions about Dante quote...

"Doin stuff is overrated. Like Hitler did a lot of stuff but don't we all wish he would have just sat around all day and got stoned?"-Dex from the Tao of Steve

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »
I use my real name but have no problem if someone chooses not to. We have no idea why someone might choose not to and frankly it's none of our business. I really don't understand why some on here seem to feel entitled to know everyone's real name, nor the need to suggest that hiding one's real name is cowardly and unethical.

That is also my view. To me, it is enough that posts on ALPB Forum come up in Google. For many, that may be enough reason to protect their privacy. Privacy is not a bad, much less a sinister, thing. I decided to be very open because (1) as a Catholic I consider myself a guest on a Lutheran board, 5-star classification or not, and (2) the older I get, the less I have to gain or lose. I have made one concession to privacy, however: realizing that my birth date could be useful for identity theft, I've "simplified" it on my profile. The Internet is a very public venue.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »

And often, one hears what one wants to hear.

This is most certainly true.
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »
For heaven's sake! "Italy" didn't even exist until the late 1800s.

The political state called "Italy" did not exist until 1861.

"Italy" has existed for millenia.  For example: "Ἀνὴρ δέ τις ἐν Καισαρείᾳ ὀνόματι Κορνήλιος, ἑκατοντάρχης ἐκ σπείρης τῆς καλουμένης Ἰταλικῆς..." (Acts 10:1)

Gutless
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:17:54 AM by Gutless Weenie »
Pastor Zip's Blog

Charles_Austin

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:57 AM »
Nice try, Steven, but not effective. And you are one of those - who through all the years of ALPB Forum - have been honest about using your own name.
I was, of course, speaking of "Italy" as a political unit as understood today.
The annual "Columbus Day" oddities, when "Italians" get all excited also ignore the fact that there was no Italy and that the explorer was a Genoan sailing for the Spanish.
But we digress.

LutherMan

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2013, 03:14:22 AM »
Pr. Tibbetts makes a great point...

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
I understand that some may choose not to post with their real name.

I do not understand why a few who do so choose to libel and attack others by name while hiding behind a fake name themselves.  Could someone explain to me how it is that such behavior is not unethical?

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »

I do not understand why a few who do so choose to libel and attack others by name while hiding behind a fake name themselves.  Could someone explain to me how it is that such behavior is not unethical?

1) The medium is not the message.

2) The unethical behavior is the libel, not the name used to commit it.
Pastor Zip's Blog

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »

1) The medium is not the message.

2) The unethical behavior is the libel, not the name used to commit it.

While I am not sure that I understand #1, I partially agree with #2. Here is the problem as I see it: The libel is unethical. So is the person who engages in it - a fact whether the "libeler" uses his/her own name or not. But when the "libeler" does so in a public, open forum against someone else and the reputation of that "libelee" is thereby damaged, should not the accuser put his/her name to the accusation? Even the secular courts allow one to face their accusers - should not Christians be held to an even higher standard?

While it is "not the name used to commit it (libel)" that is unethical, the person using that fake name to commit it is unethical.

This thread has shown me that some feel that they must post under a pseudonym. OK. All I would ask is that they refrain from going on personal attacks and stick to ideas.

cssml

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »

It is unethical, and anyone who willfully persists in it should be dealt with by the moderators, whether they use their name in public forums or not.