Poll

How should pseudonyms be handled on ALPB

Maintain the status quo and stop whining about them.
30 (58.8%)
Forbid them.
3 (5.9%)
Allow them, but discourage their use.
6 (11.8%)
Make up strict rules for the Moderators to enforce.
2 (3.9%)
Publish some guidelines and ask for voluntary compliance
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: The Use of Pseudonyms on ALPB, yes, no, or maybe  (Read 5516 times)

FrPeters

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
Re: The Use of Pseudonyms on ALPB, yes, no, or maybe
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
A parishioner now dear departed reminded me that there is no such thing as Italian cuisine.  Sicily has its own character, Southern Italy, and Northern Italy.  She was an amazing cook and an even more hospitable host.  In our first 13 years in the parish, we spent countless days at her house, gently assisting where she would allow, and feeling the most special guest of all in the room...  A delicious eating experience that began with cocktails and appetizers at 4 pm, salad about 7, main course at 8 pm and dessert about 9 pm... then to end with an unparalleled selection of after dinner liqueurs.

I spent spme time in Sicily with the Navy. The food there forever spoiled me - to this day I cannot stand the way Americans make "Italian" food in our restaurants. It is not the same.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Charles_Austin

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »
Being "careful" and "prudent" Jay. lies in what one says and how one says it, not in hiding behind a phony name.

Jay Michael

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »
Being "careful" and "prudent" Jay. lies in what one says and how one says it, not in hiding behind a phony name.
An opinion you have and are entitled to ... but an opinion that I respectfully disagree with.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
It took several hundred years for the "Church" to sort out the divinity/humanity of Our Lord. It took another few hundred years to (sort of) nail down certain other aspects of "Church" teaching and practice.
If it has taken a couple of thousand years to sort out details about the pastoral office, is that so terrible? (It might be considered terrible by all those women who felt the call previously and were denied the opportunity to follow it, but that's another matter.)
Tell me at what year/council/synod/conventicle/assembly/convention everything was set once and for all time.

Ah yes, the same old response I hear all the time from libs:  "The Holy Spirit hasn't definitively spoken on the matter yet."  Heard it ad nauseum during the runup to CWA 09, and then after, all I heard was the opposite.

So there is nothing definitive about anything in theology?  Then let me ask you this:  why do any of us even bother?  I've got far more important things that I would like to do on Sundays.  But I don't succumb to my own sinfulness because I (as the church does) believe that the absolute truth of God is far, FAR more important.

Pastor Ted Crandall

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
I like "fearful of retaliation by heresy-hunting mobs."
Or "gutless weenie."
Add to these ... careful, prudent, and responsible.

Not to mention Heresy-Hunter-Hunters...

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »

APOCALYPSE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pr. Austin and I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles_Austin

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
Pastor Cottingham writes:
Ah yes, the same old response I hear all the time from libs:  "The Holy Spirit hasn't definitively spoken on the matter yet."  Heard it ad nauseum during the runup to CWA 09, and then after, all I heard was the opposite.
I comment:
And often, one hears what one wants to hear.

So there is nothing definitive about anything in theology?
I comment:
Yes, there is. But what constitutes "theology" and what is definitive is constantly under discussion. Among Lutherans, I have seen no wavering from the Gospel message that we are saved by grace through faith in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. But can you really say that nothing in "theology" has ever, since the time of Our Lord, changed? Really?

Then let me ask you this:  why do any of us even bother?  I've got far more important things that I would like to do on Sundays.
I comment:
If you do, then do them. Are you suggesting that you come to church only out of a sense of obligation or guilt or like a whining pre-teen that says "Mom! Do I really hafta go?"

But I don't succumb to my own sinfulness because I (as the church does) believe that the absolute truth of God is far, FAR more important.
I comment:
OK. Good. I think. But you may be packing way too much into that phrase "absolute truth of God." Once that phrase included, for God's people, things we no longer include. But you know that.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
Warning: off topic  :)

A parishioner now dear departed reminded me that there is no such thing as Italian cuisine.  Sicily has its own character, Southern Italy, and Northern Italy.  She was an amazing cook and an even more hospitable host.  In our first 13 years in the parish, we spent countless days at her house, gently assisting where she would allow, and feeling the most special guest of all in the room...  A delicious eating experience that began with cocktails and appetizers at 4 pm, salad about 7, main course at 8 pm and dessert about 9 pm... then to end with an unparalleled selection of after dinner liqueurs.

That is true, Fr. Peters.  My aunt married a man from Sicily and my grandmother insisted he wasn't even Italian.  However, he taught us many delicious dishes.  So, I can promise Chaplain Gard and LutherMan a starter of arancini.  I make a soup from my mother's town which you really wouldn't find in other regions.  And we all think our way is the RIGHT way.  Hmmm....sounds like the church catholic (small c intentional)  :)

Coach-Rev

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
I comment:
And often, one hears what one wants to hear.

And one often reads what one wants to read, as you so obviously read things into what I wrote that simply weren't there and most certainly aren't true.    Sometimes I wonder why I bother with you at all.  Oh yeah:  its because you are so often wrong on everything.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
Coach-Rev:  the deficiency in others which you claim re perception of your views might instead stem from your own words.    I am a former English teacher and I know whereof I write. 

It's the splinter in the eye kind of thing.
Norman Teigen

Team Hesse

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »

APOCALYPSE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pr. Austin and I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't encourage him.

Lou

George Erdner

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
A parishioner now dear departed reminded me that there is no such thing as Italian cuisine.  Sicily has its own character, Southern Italy, and Northern Italy. 

She is mistaken. The various regional variations within the overall world of "Italian" cuisine are richly varied. Sicilian, Neapolitan, Roman, Milanese, and all the other regional variations of Italian cuisine are distinct enough from each other to be easily identifiable as unique. But though they are distinctly different in many ways, they do share enough similarities to make them all recognizable as cousins in one large, extended culinary family. Milanese and Sicilian cuisines are different from each other, but no so different as either one is to Moroccan, Russian, or Korean cuisine. 

Charles_Austin

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
For heaven's sake! "Italy" didn't even exist until the late 1800s. And the tomato, having originated in what would become "the Americas," didn't reach the boot-shaped peninsula until the 16th Century.
There is no "Italian" cuisine.
And the degree of differences among the various regions of what is now Italy is quite great.
True "foodies" and people who know their way around a kitchen never refer to "Italian" cooking.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
For heaven's sake! "Italy" didn't even exist until the late 1800s. And the tomato, having originated in what would become "the Americas," didn't reach the boot-shaped peninsula until the 16th Century.
And the degree of differences among the various regions of what is now Italy is quite great.
True "foodies" and people who know their way around a kitchen never refer to "Italian" cooking.

It's like American cooking, many regional variations so that New England, California, South West, and New England cooking all have their own distinct characteristics.  Similarely Chinese cooking.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

George Erdner

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »

It's like American cooking, many regional variations so that New England, California, South West, and New England cooking all have their own distinct characteristics.  Similarely Chinese cooking.

Dan

That is correct. While Italy didn't exist as a nation-state until the 19th century, it existed as a geographic region. However, most foodies I know, including those who taught me when I worked as an Italian Chef, recognized that there was an order to all cuisines. It is not unlike the way that biologists use the layers of Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species.

"European" cuisine differs from Asian or African cuisine. European cuisine can be divided into Scandinavian  Central European, Mediterranean, and other categories. Mediterranean cuisine can be further divided into Greek, Italian, Spanish, and other categories. Italian cuisine can be further divided into Neapolitan, Sicilian, Roman, and other smaller categories. Sicilian cuisine can be further divided into the cuisine of Palermo, Messina, Ragusa, etc. The cooks on the northern edges of Palermo have slightly different variations on their food from the cooks who live in the southern part of town. And, Mrs. Cabrone uses a little more garlic in her sauce than Mrs. Barranti.

If anyone wants to be a jerk about declaring where to draw the line, have at it.

That is one reason why it's important to know the true identity of people. Otherwise, you wouldn't know if it was Mrs. Cabrone's sauce or Mrs. Barranti's.