Poll

How should pseudonyms be handled on ALPB

Maintain the status quo and stop whining about them.
30 (58.8%)
Forbid them.
3 (5.9%)
Allow them, but discourage their use.
6 (11.8%)
Make up strict rules for the Moderators to enforce.
2 (3.9%)
Publish some guidelines and ask for voluntary compliance
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: The Use of Pseudonyms on ALPB, yes, no, or maybe  (Read 5545 times)

LutherMan

Re: The Use of Pseudonyms on ALPB, yes, no, or maybe
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »
To the topic of this post:  I'd prefer not having pseudonyms.   It is good to know with whom one is in conversation.  As well, it can give one the sense of being invulnerable when posting - writing things they might normally not write. [/color]
Pot, meet kettle.  "ESmith" hardly tells the world who you are, let alone your gender...

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
Only those my age and older are the ones whining for WO in Missouri.
(I'll be fifty eight Superbowl Sunday)

Which is why, as stated above is so important:  What is most important now is for various clergy in the LCMS who are open to WO, to put down their opinions for the next generation to reflect upon.

When I was part of the LCMS, one of the women in our congregation felt a strong call to ministry.  After a time of discernment she went to a local ELCA congregation and then to seminary.   She didn't go as a "daughter" of our LCMS congregation, but our Ladies Aid paid for her books.  How things have changed in the LCMS!  And that saddens me. 

To the topic of this post:  I'd prefer not having pseudonyms.   It is good to know with whom one is in conversation.  As well, it can give one the sense of being invulnerable when posting - writing things they might normally not write.  That being said, after seeing some of what has been written to and about posters such as Dr. Benke and Marie Meyer - well, I certainly understand that posters from the LCMS would not feel too comfortable using their name. 

Interetsing. When I was part of the LCA, I wanted to become a pastor. But I was told by LCA professors that I needed to change how I viewed Scripture and accept their position. After a time of discernment, I went to a LCMS congregtaion and then to seminary. I did not go as a "son" of the LCA congregation but did receive occasionally financial gifts - small ones but of great encouragement. How things have changed with the ELCA! And that saddens me.

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
Eileen Smith
St. Timothy Lutheran Church, Wayne NJ
Female :)

Sorry - pseudonym not intentional.  I had trouble logging in at one point and needed to register on the site a second time - so went for simple:  ESmith.

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
Eileen Smith

Sorry - pseudonym not intentional.  I had trouble logging in at one point and needed to register on the site a second time - so went for simple:  ESmith.

Thank you! My name is (obviously) Daniel Gard - male  :)

There is nothing I enjoy more on this forum than to discuss issues with actual people. By the way, my sister shares your name.

LutherMan

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
Eileen Smith

And I am Craig Johansen, Omaha, NE.  Mt Calvary LCMS as I have posted numerous times.
Despite the Danish surname, I am more German (mother's side) in behavior... 8)

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »
Good to meet you both.  In spite of the surname, "Smith" - I'm Italian - my family name is Albertini.  I'm emotional and love to cook - so I'd say I'm Italian in nature! 

LutherMan

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
Good to meet you both.  In spite of the surname, "Smith" - I'm Italian - my family name is Albertini.  I'm emotional and love to cook - so I'd say I'm Italian in nature!
Oh man, do I ever want to have dinner at your table.  I love Italian food... :)

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
I spent spme time in Sicily with the Navy. The food there forever spoiled me - to this day I cannot stand the way Americans make "Italian" food in our restaurants. It is not the same.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
Then if you are ever near Wayne, NJ, let me know and we'll gladly invite you to dinner.  I promise that i use my mom's recipes - from Ortona. 

George Erdner

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »
Eileen Smith

And I am Craig Johansen, Omaha, NE.  Mt Calvary LCMS as I have posted numerous times.
Despite the Danish surname, I am more German (mother's side) in behavior... 8)

Do you think you're so important to us all that we'll commit that information to memory, or somehow tag and bookmark this post to refer back to it every time we wish to respond to you? If you don't want to hide behind a pseudonym, don't. If you do want to, do. But it seems like a lot of hubris to think you're so special that you can simultaneous be both pseudonymed and identified. I don't think it matter much which you select, but I do think you should pick one or the other option, or at least put your real identity in your tagline.

SmithL

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:21 AM »
By the time we got to ALPB, most of us understood that having any kind of web presence opened ourselves to all sorts of mischief.  Spamming, stalking, offline harassment, and even identity theft have resulted from registering and regular posting on some websites.  For that reason alone, I used a pseudonym when I registered here. 

I was here for well over a year before I decided that it was safe to use my own name.  I've never regretted the decision to use my own name, but I certainly understand why some people wouldn't.

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:39 AM »
so what I think I hear is being said generally is that it more matters why a person is using a pseudonym than the fact that one uses such identities.  Why not put in your tag line the truth for the use of a false name, like "fearful of my church's retaliation," "due to caution due to potentially stolen identity,"  "hidden to allow greater boldness," "veiled to enable greater slander and mudslinging," "penname for dipping into more deadly poison," or similar things....   Of course we would all have to pledge some degree of honesty.  But then what is hidden honesty?   Harvey Mozolak

Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

Charles_Austin

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »
I like "fearful of retaliation by heresy-hunting mobs."
Or "gutless weenie."

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »
Heh heh.  I always liked that one:  "gutless weenie."  That's a good one.
Norman Teigen

Jay Michael

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
I like "fearful of retaliation by heresy-hunting mobs."
Or "gutless weenie."
Add to these ... careful, prudent, and responsible.