Author Topic: Theses Toward Lutheran Unity  (Read 6896 times)

Pastor Ted Crandall

Re: Theses Toward Lutheran Unity
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 06:18:04 AM »
The 95 Theses were an invitation to dialog.  The 46 these that Pr. Fouts posted to begin this conversation are an invitation to dialog.

That can't be right -- I'm sure Pastor Fouts said we shouldn't all be "little Luthers."

That had less to do with the idea of theses to promote dialogue as it did with Luther's sometimes bullish approach in his writings.  That sort of approach to dialogue just doesn't work today.  Today, when we treat each other abusively in dialogue, it either shuts down dialogue entirely or it turns into a slugfest unbecoming of Christians.

Ah yes, the contemporary context...  Unfortunately, we're surrounded today by folks who think any disagreement with them is bullish and abusive.  Witness the discussion of homosexuality -- you can't even say "homosexual" without them trying to shut down the dialogue by claiming you hurt their feelings and caused them to call you names like abusive and bully.

I agree with you, Ryan, that civil discourse is best most of the time, but there are times when the Gospel should be withheld and the full force of God's Law is called for. As we both know, distinguishing and applying Law and Gospel properly is an art we spend a lifelong learning.

R. T. Fouts

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Theses Toward Lutheran Unity
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »
Agreed, but it doesn't do much good to complain about discourse in culture.  I find that people are quite open to disagreement so long as you don't present it from a posture of superiority.  I find that if I spend time asking people more about their views, trying to understand the way they see the world, and then don't try to tear it down so much as present the biblical perspective in a convincing and winsome way, most people are open enough to consider it and wrestle with how it challenges their worldview.  More than convincing people to change their mind because they are wrong, these days we do better to just allow the word to do the work, let the word cause the struggle, and be there to guide them through it as their strings to their worldly views get strained and eventually break.  Leaving behind ones convictions, no matter how wrong they are, is a painful process that demands compassion more than mere contradiction.
----------------
Dr. R.T. Fouts, M.Div, Ph.D.