Author Topic: Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, January 18-25, 2013  (Read 2306 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, January 18-25, 2013
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
The annual Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is January 18-25 this year. I would be interested to hear what plans others on this Forum may have.

Locally (Saint Paul, MN), the University of Saint Thomas and the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis have scheduled a lecture by Fr. Jared Wicks, S.J., who will speak on "The Ecumenical Imperative in Catholic Theology and Church Life"--in short, why the RCC must continue ecumenical relationships--in the evening of January 23.

The schedule:
5:00-6:00pm  Reception in the Anderson Student Center Hearth Room (Anderson Student Center 340)
6:00-7:15pm  Dinner in the Rogge-Leyden Room (ASC 364)
7:30pm  Lecture in the Owens Science Hall 3M Auditorium. The lecture is free and open to all.
Parking available in the Ramp at Cretin and Grand, next door to the Owens Science Hall.

Some of you heard Fr. Wicks when he spoke at the Lutheran CORE and NALC Theological Conference at Calvary Church in Golden Valley this summer.

If you are coming and would like to get together, PM me so I can look for you!

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

vicarbob

Re: Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, January 18-25, 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »
When I served as a deacon in a congregation on Long Island I was the area's ecumenical "point" person for our community. For several years we observed this week with deliberate dedication and attentiveness. However, since my departure from the area, nothing has been done for about 5+ years. This is most unfortunate.
In the area of the Bronx where I currently serve, I had attempted to gather the local Christian clergy in my first years, but frankly gave up...esp when the local RCC never even responded to requests for a meeting. The truth be told, like my former pastor informed me..."Bob, if you can't get the local RCC behind the idea, you are just spinning your wheels".
My next call however will be different, in that I will be more persistent in ecumenical dialogue. The challenge will be the numerous store-front congregations which populate the community. The area is served by 3 mainline congregations, the RCC, the UMC and the congregation I will serve.
So in short Father, nada this year
Pax
Bob
However, on the Ecumenical Front, "we" have received a reasonable offer from the Coptic Orthodox Church to purchase our property in the Bronx.......Praise Be to GOD!.....and yes, we all joined in common prayer together in the chancel....and the priest referred to me as "My Reverend Brother in the Gospel"......

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:55 AM »
I can't report anything this year for the Week of Christian Unity. However, in February (18-19) our STS chapter will host The Rev. Dr. William Rusch as our teaching theologian. Rusch was the ecumenical officer for the LCA, then ELCA. He will address the current ecumencial situation. Then in May our LCMS Circuit will host The Rev. Dr. Eugene Brand who will tell us about the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification. Brand was at the Lutheran World Federation when the JDDJ signed by all. I'm looking forward to both engagements.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

vicarbob

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
Yes, Yes, and Yes again on The Rev Dr William Rusch as teaching theologian at the NY Chapter of the STS on Feb 18-19.....missed him at the Florida Chapter Retreat after being invited by Pr L Recela......wow, no excuse now! As posted previously he was my sem prof for The Confessions....plus 2 other Lutheran courses at NYTS. Can't get any better them Dr Rusch!
pax
Bob

LTSP department head inquired.......oh, so you have taken the Confessions Mr Rainis....and just WHO was the professor..........oh, really..Ok then....we can move on to other required courses....did you take others with Dr Rusch..yes, such and such...OK, then...no need to take them here then........A Leading Lutheran theologian......without a doubt

Johan Bergfest

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if we could practice Christian unity in this forum for one week?

Team Hesse

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if we could practice Christian unity in this forum for one week?

What do you think that would look like?

Lou

Johan Bergfest

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »

Lou

I think it would begin by clearly acknowledging that we all are sisters and brothers in Christ.  The way that some of the posts read, I'm not sure that we all agree that, in spite of our differences, we are one.

Team Hesse

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »

Lou

I think it would begin by clearly acknowledging that we all are sisters and brothers in Christ.  The way that some of the posts read, I'm not sure that we all agree that, in spite of our differences, we are one.

But  so what? I have considered myself one in the faith with one of my mentors in the faith who died a convicted pedophile in the Oregon State Penitentiary. So what does this notion of oneness in the faith gain us in our notion of life together?

Lou

Johan Bergfest

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

Lou

But  so what? I have considered myself one in the faith with one of my mentors in the faith who died a convicted pedophile in the Oregon State Penitentiary. So what does this notion of oneness in the faith gain us in our notion of life together?

Lou

And, you know for certain that your former mentor died an impenitent sinner because.....................?

The notion of oneness in the faith would relieve us of the burden of judging one another which we ought to know isn't our responsibility, anyway.

The notion of oneness in the faith would set us free to ground all of our conversation with one another in John 17.

George Erdner

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »

Lou

I don't know what it would look like, but I know what it wouldn't look like. It wouldn't look like a discussion forum. I suspect it would consist of posts like "Such and such is good", followed by replies of "Yes, it is."

And that would be it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:16:33 PM by George Erdner »

Team Hesse

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »

Lou

Lou

And, you know for certain that your former mentor died an impenitent sinner because.....................?

The notion of oneness in the faith would relieve us of the burden of judging one another which we ought to know isn't our responsibility, anyway.

The notion of oneness in the faith would set us free to ground all of our conversation with one another in John 17.

Odd that you should judge me so. I made no such comment about my mentor's repentance or lack thereof--point of fact is that I believe he was repentant (I won't go into why I believe that) . And it is not my place to judge such things, but I must for the sake of my neighbor, agree with the finding of the court that my beloved mentor must be incarcerated.

This side of the eschaton we are left with having to deal precisely with such realities. We are still sinners, still in need of the accusation of the law, as long as we have that "bag of worms" our old flesh around our necks as Luther put it. Judge my neighbors status before the Lord--No. Judge his behavior toward our mutual neighbors--necessary.

Lou

Johan Bergfest

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »

Lou

Lou

Odd that you should judge me so. I made no such comment about my mentor's repentance or lack thereof--point of fact is that I believe he was repentant (I won't go into why I believe that) . And it is not my place to judge such things, but I must for the sake of my neighbor, agree with the finding of the court that my beloved mentor must be incarcerated.

This side of the eschaton we are left with having to deal precisely with such realities. We are still sinners, still in need of the accusation of the law, as long as we have that "bag of worms" our old flesh around our necks as Luther put it. Judge my neighbors status before the Lord--No. Judge his behavior toward our mutual neighbors--necessary.

Lou

Pr. Hesse - I don't think I judged you.  I just responded to your post in the context of this particular conversation.  I presumed that, because you brought up your mentor as an example, the implication was that you/we could not have unity of the faith with him following his conviction.  I apologize if I misread it that way because, based on your next reply, you seemed to indicate that you did.  The second sentence of my reply was not specific to you but a more generic reference.

Team Hesse

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Then how does our unity in the faith free us from the necessity of specific judgement of specific behavior? Fallen humans will always see through the glass darkly and not realize that things they think are consistent with God's will are actually harmful. I simply don't see what an emphasis on unity accomplishes. When I served on the ELCA task force on Sexuality that seemed to be the thing we talked about the most and as I said at the Churchwide Assembly in Orlando, " the surest sign of disunity is passing resolutions on unity." To talk about unity is to ensure it does not exist. Unity is done to us, it is not something we achieve.

Lou

Johan Bergfest

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Pr. Hesse - I'm not asking for resolutions on unity.  I'm suggesting that we all behave with confidence that we are one in Christ, irrespective of the things that divide us.

Team Hesse

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
Pr. Hesse - I'm not asking for resolutions on unity.  I'm suggesting that we all behave with confidence that we are one in Christ, irrespective of the things that divide us.

So what would that look like? How would it be different than what we are actually living?

Lou