Author Topic: And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics  (Read 205564 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics
« Reply #2235 on: June 26, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with a pastor being on local committees, task forces, the Red Cross board, etc., but, those are things that lay persons can also do. And if a parish is small and dying and the neighborhood around it is full of unchurched or partially churched, then it seems to me the prime job of the pastor is to be in that neighborhood, provide the means of grace for that neighborhood, and teaching his or her people to be in that neighborhood with the best kind of evangelism there is: one person telling another about their faith and inviting that other person to come and see.
That is more important than the Red Cross, the Council of Churches, the Fair Trade Coffee Committee, and the PTA.

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 26, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »

Nothing wrong with a pastor being on local committees, task forces, the Red Cross board, etc.,

That is more important than ..., the Fair Trade Coffee Committee, ....

the Fair Trade Coffee Committee???  Is that for real? Or did you spend too much time in the sun at the Outer Banks? (There is a Lutheran Church on the Outer Banks. I helped to found it in the early 1980s while serving an Army assignment with no Sunday duty.)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

George Erdner

« Reply #2237 on: June 26, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »
But I can't remember the last time I saw an entire parish, as an institution, do anything proactive to reach out to anyone with the Good News.

So what do you recommend? What would qualify in your mind as proactive outreach at the parish level?

The sorts of activities I've outlined and described over and over and over in these threads over the past few years.

But I can't remember the last time I saw an entire parish, as an institution, do anything proactive to reach out to anyone with the Good News.

So what do you recommend? What would qualify in your mind as proactive outreach at the parish level?

Does a parish have a vocation?

A hospital has a vocation. It's the place where the sick people know they can go to get that which will make them well. How do they know/find that out? People who have been there & made well go and tell them. One of the problems in modern health care has been the shift from non-profit to for-profit hospitals, with the companion shift in attention from care of the sick (i.e., the people in the hospital) to "effective" & "efficient" care of the necessary, and ever increasing, flow of new customers, er, patients, along with marketing and hospital-led "engagement" in the community that keeps the ol' profit margin healthy...

Or...

If the Sunday Divine/worship Service is an outreach/evangelism tool in a "healthy" parish, does that mean in a "good/profitable" hospital that a surgery is advertising?  ???

Hospitals and churches are different enough that any sort of analogy breaks down very, very quickly. People who have a disease or an injury know that they are injured. They know that they need to go to a hospital to get cured or patched up, and then they leave the hospital, hoping never to return.

Churches are more like medical facilities to treat the chronically ill who require constant, weekly visits. And, the people who need those visits often don't know that they need them. So, churches can't count on an automatic supply of patients. That's why churches don't reach out with the same message that hospitals do.

The basic message of hospital advertising (except optional stuff like cosmetic surgery) boils down to, "You know you have to go to some hospital. Pick ours instead of a different one." The basic message of church advertising is more like, "You might not realize you need to join us, but you do. Come and see, and you'll discover why."

Sunday worship is not a form of outreach. "Outreach" consists of interactions with people who otherwise wouldn't attend Sunday worship to encourage them to "Come and see". Individual outreach is good. Well-planned collective efforts, aka "teamwork", are also good. Best of all, the two different things are not mutually exclusive. They are not an either/or choice. Doing both is very possible.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #2238 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
There is a Fair Trade Coffee Committee whose mission is to get churches to use Fair Trade Coffee.

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 27, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
CPH together LCMS World Relief and Human Care offers Cafe Sola.  The purpose is to raise awareness of human need around the world and the net proceeds go for projects to help the neediest.  The coffee is available in regular and decaf, by the bag and by the case.  It is also Rainforest Alliance Certified to meet standards for evironmental impact and fair treatment of workers.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS