Author Topic: And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics  (Read 205553 times)

Johan Bergfest

Re: And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »
I'm still reminded of the comment one of the camera guys made to me some years back.  He said, "you know, I cover state and national political conventions.  But this is at a whole other level.  This is far more political than the government."  I suspended his roster status, or would have if he had been rostered.  What nerve!

I remember hearing Russ Salzmann saying a number of years ago that church politics was much worse than in the government (and he had worked in government politics). His reasoning, at least at that time, is that in the government, opponents on one issue may need each other's support on the next issue. So there was always a sense of "I don't want to piss him off so much that s/he will never help me when I need it in the future." There often isn't that kind of checks and balance within church politics. Some have no problems acting in ways that sever relationships.

Pr. Stoffregen - I would appreciate your assessment of pros/cons of the process LCMS uses to elect the Synod President vs. the process that ELCA uses to elect the Bishop.

Pastor Ted Crandall

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »
It's recruiting, which is machinating, or in churchly terms, schismatic activity.

Interesting charge, considering the source... 

John Geipel

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
The liberals in the Synod never regard *their* overt politicizing, like when Kieschnick was campaigning all over creation for nearly six years with the help of DayStar and JesusFirst, to be "machination" that is only something conservatives do.

Double standard anyone? Again?

Yup.

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
I'm still reminded of the comment one of the camera guys made to me some years back.  He said, "you know, I cover state and national political conventions.  But this is at a whole other level.  This is far more political than the government."  I suspended his roster status, or would have if he had been rostered.  What nerve!

I remember hearing Russ Salzmann saying a number of years ago that church politics was much worse than in the government (and he had worked in government politics). His reasoning, at least at that time, is that in the government, opponents on one issue may need each other's support on the next issue. So there was always a sense of "I don't want to piss him off so much that s/he will never help me when I need it in the future." There often isn't that kind of checks and balance within church politics. Some have no problems acting in ways that sever relationships.

Pr. Stoffregen - I would appreciate your assessment of pros/cons of the process LCMS uses to elect the Synod President vs. the process that ELCA uses to elect the Bishop.

I don't know the process that the LCMS uses. I've seen the ELCA's process at work - and will be participating in it in August.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Charles_Austin

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2013, 10:57:49 PM »
Won't be participating in the voting, but this humble correspondent will be there in August, as a humble correspondent and reporter.

Johan Bergfest

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »
I don't know the process that the LCMS uses. I've seen the ELCA's process at work - and will be participating in it in August.

It's a process in which candidates are nominated prior to the convention and, as the conversation on this thread suggests, there is a lot of politicing that goes on.  I asked the question primarily curious the extent to which the eclessiastical ballot might preclude some of the politicing.  Or, does it still happen but, absent a ballot prior to the assembly, in just a different form.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »

It's a process in which candidates are nominated prior to the convention and, as the conversation on this thread suggests, there is a lot of politicing that goes on.  I asked the question primarily curious the extent to which the eclessiastical ballot might preclude some of the politicing.  Or, does it still happen but, absent a ballot prior to the assembly, in just a different form.

Even with the modified ecclesiastical ballots in synods and churchwide elections, there are groups who get behind and promote their favorite candidate. Some synods even ask congregations for who they believe is likely to be a finalist, so that they can contact the person for biographical information. Presiding Bishop Hanson has agreed to serve if re-elected. However, Secretary Swartling has stated that he does not want to be elected again. As much as possible for presiding bishop (who has to be ordained) might be unknown to many voting members, candidates for secretary (who can be lay people) are even more unknown.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »
Won't be participating in the voting, but this humble correspondent will be there in August, as a humble correspondent and reporter.

We'll have to get together sometime during the week.

Moderator Richard, are you going to be there reporting, too?

Charles_Austin

« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »
There is often an ALPB gathering at such events. But everyone has to buy their own coffee.  ;D

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »
There is often an ALPB gathering at such events. But everyone has to buy their own coffee.  ;D

There isn't coffee fellowship after the worship services!!??

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »
LCMS persons associated with the ALPB have also gathered for coffee at synodical conventions. Anyone else here attending the 2013 LCMS convention?  I'll bake cookies for a get together.  :)

Marie

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
Marie are you or your husband a voting delegate?
Or will you be sitting in the peanut gallery with
observers and guests?  How many Synodical
conventions have you attended?

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »
LCMS persons associated with the ALPB have also gathered for coffee at synodical conventions. Anyone else here attending the 2013 LCMS convention?  I'll bake cookies for a get together.  :)

Marie

Just coffee? I hear that President Benke is sponsoring an open bar this year.

swbohler

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »

Marie

Just coffee? I hear that President Benke is sponsoring an open bar this year.

Is his new slogan "It's OK to pay?"   ;)

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
ANNOUNCEMENT: The Coin-o-nia Project

Phase I: The first draft of TSL (Totally Sanctified List), my personal election recommendations for the next LCMS Convention. You may have your name removed for a cash contribution. Failure to do so will destroy your political hopes.

"A penny in the coffer rings, a name from TSL doth spring"