Author Topic: And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics  (Read 205562 times)

Daniel L. Gard

And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:51:38 PM »
An email from Daystar:

Synodical Observer

Until recently, it was a tradition in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod that the Office of the President searched for the best person to lead the Synod.  In that spirit the DayStar JOURNAL puts forward Rev. Dr. David Maier as a nominee for the President of the Synod.  Dr. Maier has been suggested by a number of past and present District Presidents.  He is not associated with DayStar and knows nothing of this recommendation.

District President, Rev. Dr. David P. E. Maier (Michigan Dist), 57, is recommended to all synod electors as a nominee for President of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.  He comes from a long line of servant leaders in the Maier family... going back to Walter A. Maier of Lutheran Hour remembrance!

He is a Gospel oriented, biblically based, people-oriented, visionary pastor with significant experience in a variety of ministries and mission outreach efforts.  He has leadership, administrative, organizational and relational abilities that enable him to multiply the ministry, witness and service of individuals, schools, congregations, districts ... and all God's people!    Please prayerfully consider him as the man to vote for to lead the LCMS into the new era and anti-church environment that is knocking on our doors.

pastormesser

Re: And So It Begins: 2013 LCMS Politics
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but I totally don't get the first sentence of the email. "The Office of the President searched for the best person to lead they Synod"? What does that mean?

As for their recommendation, I'll pass.

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »
I have nothing against the Rev. Dr. David Maier but it is also a Mo. Synod tradition to reelect a sitting president who is doing a good job and wishes reelection (but doesn't always happen).  Pres. Harrison is doing well.  I would encourage giving him another term to continue his work.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
President Maier of the Michigan District spoke at our last district convention. As did President Harrison. Without knowing either man personally, I would a hard time taking seriously anyone who listened to both presentations and thought that Maier would be an improvement over Harrison as LCMS president. I have nothing against President Maier, but his presentation seemed more peppy and predictable than profoundly theological or insightful. But my taste in convention speakers is by no means universally shared. Capable of being SP? Sure. So clearly the best man that it would be worth nominating him over the incumbent? Not by a long shot. And I was on record here as saying that although I personally preferred the approach of the "challenger" (to use an unfortunate expression) the last two elections, I probably would have voted for the incumbent just because unseating an incumbent makes for divisiveness. I think Daystar would do well to think along those lines as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:41:11 PM by peter_speckhard »

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
President Matthew Harrison has Project Koinonia
to complete before he passes on the baton.

At minimum it is anticipated that this will be a
decade long project.  So the voters will want
him to have the opportunity to bring the LCMS
together on the issues that need dialogue.

He is attempting to do what no other Synodical
President has done.....to get 80 percent of the
LCMS to a consensus agreement in the 21st Century.

Voelker

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »

To be fair, the vast majority of his predecessors were hampered by working a fair distance away from the 21st century.  :D

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
Hope that poster WJV was able to  comprehend
the intentional Lutheran levity in that sentence.
A good sense of humor is vital to healthy living and
especially to the Lutheran clergy.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
He is not associated with DayStar and knows nothing of this recommendation.

To his credit.  And what does this say about an organization putting forth such a recommendation and having to add this disclaimer?

Voelker

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
I do hope you noticed the bit at the end...perhaps it doesn't show up in your browser!  :D

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
I wonder what President Maier is thinking.

LutherMan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
Has 'Jesus First' made an endorsement?

J. Eriksson

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
Daniel L. Gard for 2013  gets my unsolicited nomination and I'm not even a LCMS member.  I think you need several sacrificial lambs and comic relief.
a.  I really enjoyed his candidacy last time.
b. He was such a good sport about it.

Seriously is there a better way to talk about this rather than 'politics'?  And so it begins: 2013 LCMS Leadership conversations
I'm not a pastor.  Please don't call me one.

LCMS87

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
Seriously is there a better way to talk about this rather than 'politics'?  And so it begins: 2013 LCMS Leadership conversations

A rose by any other name . . .  Unfortunately, the topic given is accurate.  Perhaps if President Harrison's Koinonia Project is successful, the political will cease.  Given the history of the past few decades, however, I won't hold my breath.

LutherMan

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
Politics, a blood sport in the Missouri Synod...

Tim Schenks

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 05:59:02 AM »

80% favor blue paraments on Advent over purple.  Is that it?