Author Topic: Bishops Are Worthy of Double Honor!  (Read 29424 times)

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Bishops Are Worthy of Double Honor!
« Reply #495 on: November 30, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Don,

Too late. I've already fallen. I'm a Synod bureaucrat.

Hmm...narcissistic bureaucrat...is that a redundancy?  ;)
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #496 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
Don,

Too late. I've already fallen. I'm a Synod bureaucrat.

Hmm...narcissistic bureaucrat...is that a redundancy?  ;)

Maybe.  I guess that qualifies as threadpoint's "double honor," albeit in an understated way.  Bishop = narcissistic & bureaucratic.  "It's all about me, and what I want and need is your report, filed in triplicate."  That's certainly my modus operandi.

Dave Benke

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
Synodoc[r]at

I'd rather have the r removed a la a famous feline than the c...

You work for the Company now. You can pretty much do what you want with spelling - as long as you comply with the Employee Handbook and Human Relations Department.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #498 on: November 30, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
Not that it will matter to anyone, but what the heck; let me offer yet another perspective on those "swanky" meetings and church officials (known derisively as "bureaucrats").
1. The meetings often take place on week-ends, so lay people can attend. This means that the church official is away from home and family. It means missing softball or hockey games, recreation time with family, and "normal" attendance at church and Sunday School.
2. While lay persons might hit one of these a year; the church official may have three or four such meetings; and - to save money, of course - may add on other local work needed before or after the meeting, thereby extending the time away from home and family.
3. Those who sniff "swank" haven't really inhaled the aroma and atmosphere of even a "good" Marriott or Hilton, with coldly institutional furnishing and decor, often a disinterested staff and an atrocious kitchen, (Best advice: order the hamburger, there's less chance they can ruin it, but they'll try.)
4. Consider the fun of doing your reporting or paper work in a hotel room late at night.
5. Thought about "modern" air travel today? Unless you're flying premium-platinum-star business or first class (and I doubt many of those allegedly pampered bureaucrats do that) getting there is no fun.
     The last year before the ELCA merger, I was out of my New York office for at least 100 days. (We keep records to save on New York taxes, which we didn't pay the days we weren't in New York.) Working for the Lutheran Council, LWF, and LCA took me away from home many many days and nights; and although I was at times in locations that sound appealing, I was still away from home. Even traveling on a New York Times expense account (no First Class there, either) still meant I was away from home. And sometimes I was in places like Appleton, or St. Louis, or Fargo.
     Think about it.

George Erdner

« Reply #499 on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
I just returned from the AKC Eukanuba Championship held in Orlando, FL. The posted rate inside the hotel room my company put me in found on the placard inside the door was $285. For my three-day stay, my company paid a total of $265. It was not the Gaylord Palms, but one of the staff at the Marriott where I was staying also worked at the Gaylord Palms. When I asked her about their rates, she said they were very much similar to those of the Marriott where I stayed.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #500 on: December 17, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
I just returned from the AKC Eukanuba Championship held in Orlando, FL. The posted rate inside the hotel room my company put me in found on the placard inside the door was $285. For my three-day stay, my company paid a total of $265. It was not the Gaylord Palms, but one of the staff at the Marriott where I was staying also worked at the Gaylord Palms. When I asked her about their rates, she said they were very much similar to those of the Marriott where I stayed.

Correctamundo.  The normal is between a twofer and a threefer.

Dave Benke