Poll

What is your evaluation of the conversation on the recent thread LCMS Survey?

This is the kind of conversation I like best on the ALPB Forum.
0 (0%)
I enjoyed some of the interplay and learned some things I didn't know, but not all of it.
7 (26.9%)
By and large I found it unhelpful, more heat and steam than light.
11 (42.3%)
This is the kind of conversation I like least on the ALPB Forum.
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: October 05, 2012, 10:49:22 PM

Author Topic: LCMS Survey thread (poll)  (Read 961 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
LCMS Survey thread (poll)
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
This poll is directed especially to readers of the Forum who have not contributed to the LCMS Survey thread, though of course anyone may cast their penny in the fountain.

The question regards not so much the original topic about the pop-up survey but the evolution since in nearly 120 posts.

Peace,
Michael

September 24: I have locked the voting early, as the thread referred to has been locked.

MS
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:12:52 AM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

George Erdner

Re: LCMS Survey thread (poll)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »
(1) I absolutely hate polls like this. They are the nadir of typical threads on ALPB.

(2) One of my favorite shows on TV is The Big Bang Theory. I'm starting to see how tough it is to be Sheldon, living in a world where other people have emotional responses to some issues, and actually express them. It must be hard to cope with people who can't just bottle everything up and engage in pure, dispassionate, intellectual discourse.

(3) The next interesting ALPB thread that doesn't drift a little bit will be the first. Considering that the thread in question was about the relationship between the church and politics, and is now mostly about the politics part, it doesn't strike me as all that radical of a drift. I notice a real dearth of attempts to move it back on topic. As usual, the standard reaction to thread drift is not to post something on-topic in hopes of moving it back. The reaction is to kvetch about the drift. I imagine the next gambit will be for someone to once again call for an interesting discussion to be shut down.

(4) It's revealing when discussions are characterized as "conversations", which has a very different connotation from "discussion". On the other hand, I tend to characterize discussions as "debates", in which bouncing ideas back and forth demands some sort of mental net and a back and forth disagreement. Nothing in the world strikes me as more boring than a tennis match where both participants are on the same side of the net.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:13:11 AM by George Erdner »

George Erdner

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
Dang! I must be psychic! One of the most interesting threads on the ALPB, and it was shut down tight just as I was typing a reply.

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:55 AM »
Dang! I must be psychic! One of the most interesting threads on the ALPB, and it was shut down tight just as I was typing a reply.

Yeah, it is a shame.  While it did get heated, I think some good discussion was also taking place.

I would have thought that some of the more heated posts -- and I realize some of mine may be among them -- could have just been removed rather than closing the entire thread.

Oh, well.

Mike

Coach-Rev

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
What has reduced me to more of a lurker again is that I find the positions of some of the most frequent posters predictable and utterly mundane.  While there are many good posters out there who take dialog and exchange of ideas/info seriously, there are others who only spew typical ideological garbage.  And yes, that has at times included me.

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:58:23 AM »
What has reduced me to more of a lurker again is that I find the positions of some of the most frequent posters predictable and utterly mundane.  While there are many good posters out there who take dialog and exchange of ideas/info seriously, there are others who only spew typical ideological garbage.  And yes, that has at times included me.

Yeah, I'll sadly plead guilty to often being unable to resist yelling back "Is not!" when someone smugly declares "Is!".   :(

I'll try to work on that.

Mike

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
Knowing why the thread was locked would assist all who participated engage in critical self-examination and so avoid the same pit fall in the future.

Marie Meyer 

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
The thread was locked because it was degenerating and no longer had anything to do with the LCMS survey in the title. If someone wants to start a thread specifically for comments on the presidential election they are more than welcome to do so.