Author Topic: Mission Support Request for Refund  (Read 19791 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Support Request for Refund
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
The right thing is to get married. So why wouldn't a pastor want a couple to get married?
Could be lots of reasons.
  Because they are not taking marriage seriously.
  Because they cannot legally be married.
  Because they are of the same gender and this church does not marry two people of the same gender.

And if a pastor felt that way about it, he refuses to officiate at the wedding.

Are any of us in a position to "cast the first stone" at such couples?
No.  But casting the first stone is punishment.  Teaching is not punishment.  I would hope that teaching would bring such a couple to the realization that they should either get married or live apart.

Or do we teach what could be considered a biblical model: since you have become one flesh through sexual intercourse, you are married. God wants this "marriage" to last a life-time. If you have sex with anyone else, you are committing adultery.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:37:39 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
Tim notes: It is intriguing to me that following a post inviting the closing of this thread duly noting how far afield things had gone, our unofficial(?) leader of the Red Herring brigade puts up three posts that continue the drift.   :o
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
Tim notes: It is intriguing to me that following a post inviting the closing of this thread duly noting how far afield things had gone, our unofficial(?) leader of the Red Herring brigade puts up three posts that continue the drift.   :o

And my note was written and posted before I read the note about closing the discussion.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]