Author Topic: New Game Show  (Read 1530 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
New Game Show
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
The cable network, "Game Show Network" has a new game show that will premier later this week (Thursday, 7 pm Central time zone), "The American Bible Challenge."  Host will be Jeff Foxworthy, notorious redneck and host of "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?"  Contestants play for charity.  Previews seem to have an Evangelical slant, and apparently Jeff Foxworthy is a part of that scene.

If you are interested, you might want to give the show a try, and post an opinion here.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Charles_Austin

Re: New Game Show
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
Back in the '50s, when I was in Youth for Christ, Bible quizzes were standard "fun." I usually got trounced by folk who knew the names of kings and other obscurantes better than I did.

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
Contestants play for charity.  Previews seem to have an Evangelical slant, and apparently Jeff Foxworthy is a part of that scene.

If you are interested, you might want to give the show a try, and post an opinion here.

I plan on watching it.  Bible quizzing seems to be big with evangelicals, but from what I've seen at tournaments, it is virtually all Bible facts and verse naming and no doctrine.

Is it just that evangelicals seem big on bible quizzing that gives it its "evangelical slant" or what?

Mike

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Contestants play for charity.  Previews seem to have an Evangelical slant, and apparently Jeff Foxworthy is a part of that scene.

I plan on watching it.  Bible quizzing seems to be big with evangelicals, but from what I've seen at tournaments, it is virtually all Bible facts and verse naming and no doctrine.

Is it just that evangelicals seem big on bible quizzing that gives it its "evangelical slant" or what?

However, there can also be some questions of the accuracy of their "answers". A group was playing Bible Trivia and questioned me and another pastor about one of their answers. According to them, the book of Hebrews was written by Barnabas. Neither the other pastor nor I could agree with that. We didn't even know where that answer came from.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »
According to them, the book of Hebrews was written by Barnabas. Neither the other pastor nor I could agree with that. We didn't even know where that answer came from.

Yeah, I doubt evangelicals read a lot of Tertullian.

Tertullian (On Modesty 20) indicates that Barnabas is the author of the epistle to the Hebrews - "For there is extant withal an Epistle to the Hebrews under the name of Barnabas – a man sufficiently accredited by God, as being one whom Paul has stationed next to himself…"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Epistle_to_the_Hebrews#Barnabas

Mike

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »
At least part of the "evangelical slant" is based on the on set choir singing contemporary and "Gospel" settings of hymns.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

frluther1517

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »

Mike

I enjoy listening to Ancient Faith Radio and many of their orthodox podcasts.  It seems, at least in the AOCA, that "Bible Bowls" are big among their youth.  If any of you have ever caught the Orthodixie podcast, I know Fr. Huneycutt as mentioned them before in his shows.  Apparently it can be rather intense. 

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
Just wanted to say that I am looking forward to watching this show tonight.  I've always enjoyed Jeff Foxworthy, and he proved himself a good game show host on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?".

I'm hoping that the pace of the game tonight is a bit faster, but perhaps not as fast as at Bible Bowls. I'd like to hope I can answer some questions.  Jeopardy! is about my speed of game.

I won't even mind the Gospel music even though I might secretly covet a few Lutheran chorales instead at times.  ;)

Mike

GalRev83

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
I have been enjoying the show! I love Tricia,  enjoy Bible quizzes and appreciate that they are playing for worthy charities. A fun show... :)

Coach-Rev

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Of course, it could also be said that one cannot progress to doctrine until one knows the basics of the Bible.  Seems to me this would include the names/dates/events and so on/so forth that such "quizzes" comprise.

We are currently running a "bulletin" series of inserts that will (at least at present count) take up 18 parts, which outlines the basic story told in the Bible.  It is not an effort to present doctrine, but to tell the Bible's Story as a continuous whole, since there are many who don't even know what that story is.

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
I have been enjoying the show! I love Tricia,  enjoy Bible quizzes and appreciate that they are playing for worthy charities. A fun show... :)

I enjoyed the show as well.

It is a good mix of mostly corny game show questions which Jeff Foxworthy does well -- the Faithbook type stuff -- and tougher, more Bible Bowl type questions for the final stage.

And the choir was small and not that obtrusive in their lead-in and lead-outs.  I'll certainly that that over canned theme music.

Mike

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
Leaving aside the whether it is a good game show (it seemed to me to be as good as many game shows and better than many) what does it say that a game show based on Biblical knowledge (however cutely packaged) in which contestants are encouraged to talk about their faith and how it motivates them and the faith based charities for which they play with playful sincerity should be produced and shown on a secular network.  There is nothing to suggest that Game Show Network is a faith based operation.  So far as I have seen, this is the only "religious" show that they produce or schedule.  Yet they are willing to produce it and show it.  Likely Jeff Foxworthy used his "star power" to push it through.

They show avoided both extremes, being so reverent as to be dull and wodden or so hip and edgy as to be disrespectful.  They had fun with the Biblical material.  Likely not to everyone's taste, but that is inevitable.  They are apparently betting that there are enough people interested enough in the Bible and familiar enough with it to provide enough of an audience to pay for the show.  At a time when so many people are confidently predicting the death of Christianity in the US that is perhaps a hopeful sign. 

The show will not save America, or the church, or Christianity.  It is amusing and as profound and religious as pop culture usually is.  But at a time when religion and Christianity usually do not appear in popular entertainment or if they do they are at least as likely to be cast as misguided at best and villainous at worst, any appearance of practicing Christians in other than religiously sponsored programing is welcome.  Another example is the crime drama, "Blue Bloods"  that stars Tom Selleck as NYC Police Commissioner and father of a clan of Irish Catholics who all seem to be involved in law enforcement.  The show is not primarily about their religious life, but it is there in references to growing up and attending church, saying grace at the clan Sunday dinners, etc.  There have been a couple of shows that have plots that include the NY Catholic church as major plot elements - including one where a former cleric was being investigated with an eye toward beatification.  Now if we could only get one of their shows to include one of the NYC Lutheran churches and perhaps a cameo by DP Benke  :D

These are all good signs.  Something good happening in the entertainment establishment.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

GalRev83

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
There is an app (I got it for iPhone) for the game, which is fun. It features Jeff Foxworthy praising you for right answers and mocking your errors.

My favorite (when you get a question right): "You should think about being a pastor! All you need are the golf clubs!"  ::)

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
Looking forward to the second episode of this tonight.

I hope I can do better on the tough Final Revelation questions.  I was stumped by too many of the Women in the Bible ones last week.

Mike

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
Back in my Methodist days, I was at a summer camp one time. Kids mostly Methodist, but there were a few "tag alongs" including a girl who was Roman Catholic. We did this "Bible triva" quiz and she easily beat all the Methodists. Only issue came up when the question had to do with the 10 Commandments, and of course her version was a little different from the Methodists (like the Reformed, the Methodists consider the "No graven images" a separate commandment, and of course the Catholics don't).
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS