Poll

Will you eat at Chick-fil-A today?

Yes
21 (32.8%)
No
14 (21.9%)
I would, but there is not a location near me.
29 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day  (Read 9575 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
There really must be a full moon out. In addition to the chikn idiocies, now the group starts turning on a fellow Lutheran who happens to have a tv show and travels around the world and makes videos supporting ELCA missions. Nice. Really nice.
Going out now, to pick some garlic so I can ward off the other weird and crazy things that start roaming the earth when there is a full moon.
Good grief!

passerby

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
Dave Benke,

How would you publicly show your support for Chick-Fil-A President, Dan Cathy?  Not asking to be contentious, and if you think my question is inappropriate, no response is necessary.

Linda

No contention taken.  The average bear is just going to do what the rest are doing and buy a chicken sandwich.  The other option would be to separate from the average bears and organize something else that stated why you were doing what you were doing and what it was and wasn't.  But that wouldn't be easy. 

Or you could have a churchly letter thing, even while having your sandwich and eating it too, stating (with others) why you ate that chicken, and that you're not a gay-hater/baiter even though you stand on the side of marriage as the lifelong union of one man and one woman.

Dave Benke

But you're in NYC! Did anyone dare even show up yesterday at the Chick-fil-A at NYU right in the heart of Greenwich Village? In a heavily evangelical area like the South, I get that a mob of people showing up might suggest to gays that there is anti-gay sentiment--I have heard some of that crowd did make anti-gay remarks. But in NYC? If anyone said anything like that they'd be mobbed!

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 04:55:49 PM »

1)  I am aware who started this - and I do recognize it was the supporters of tolerance for gays.  And I'm not considered by anyone who knows me a revisionist - probably quite the opposite.  I spent many years in advertising and television and I know a bit about perception - which often dictates reality.  Do I think some people were out there for  free speech - yeah, some.  But do I think that the gay issue motivated them - yes, I do.  Now if that's poor construction, sorry - but I did listen to interviews of people going in and out of C-A-F and sure sounded like that to me.   

2)  It's not veiled disgust -- frankly I did find the whole thing off-putting -- and it wasn't meant to be bullying.  My word - with some of the stuff written on this site you think that's bullying!!  I take great interest in our youth group and I simply would be offended to have had them take part in yesterday's event - because of the perceived intolerance of the event.

It is well to remember that one can be a committed and faithful Christian without political activism.

Peace, JOHN

Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
And probably, Buckeye Deaconess, the chickens used by Mr. Cathy lead miserable lives, penned in a small wire-caged space where it can't move but just to lower its beak to eat and get fat.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »
It is important that Mr. Roger Martim know this:

Chick-Fil-A chickens come from facilities inspected
by USDA as well as third party auditors.  Their
suppliers follow strict animal welfare and nutrient
management practices.  The National Chicken
Council publishes and sets the guidelines for all
of their suppliers who strictly adhere to them.
The chickens eat corn, soy, and wheat as well
as vitamins , minerals, and protein.  They are the
leader in following industry standards and even
going above them.

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
And probably, Buckeye Deaconess, the chickens used by Mr. Cathy lead miserable lives, penned in a small wire-caged space where it can't move but just to lower its beak to eat and get fat.

Psst, don't tell anyone, but I hear that Ben and/or Jerry use electro-shock to increase production from the cows that provide the milk for their ice cream.

Isn't this fun?  Slandering a company and/or company official without an ounce of fact just because you find their politics objectionable.  Wheee!!!!  Anyone else want to join in?  Got any salacious stories about the redheaded, pigtailed girl in the Wendy's logo?  Some unsubstantiated charge against Colonel Sanders?

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but Mr. Cathy's opinions of same-sex marriage is not something that he uses to promote his brand.  I have seen a number of billboards for Chick-Fil-A, usually featuring cows suggesting that chicken is a good alternative to to beef.  I don't think this is a fight he chose, but he was asked a question and he answered it.  If people want to avoid his stores because of his views, that is their privilege.  For Mayors to try to run them out of town by official action (or keep them out of town)  because of his views is wrong.  As wrong as an evangelical mayor denying a permit for JCP or Target because of their pro-gay views.

As to the condition of the chickens used, let us make sure that every chicken you eat, every head of cattle that you eat are raised in the conditions of which you would approve, or is it only those whom you dislike that demand higher standards than industry standard?

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Voelker

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »
Isn't this fun?  Slandering a company and/or company official without an ounce of fact just because you find their politics objectionable.  Wheee!!!!  Anyone else want to join in?  Got any salacious stories about the redheaded, pigtailed girl in the Wendy's logo?  Some unsubstantiated charge against Colonel Sanders?

You ask, we provide: according to this reputable and not-at-all-to-be-questioned source, it looks like many of the big fast-food chains are putting their cards on the table. ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:46:44 PM by WJV »

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
Mr Roger Martim is probably referring to the
Campbell Soup Chicken farms in Minnesota
during the 1970's which kept each chicken
in a small cage in a barn with 500 total cages.
There was a huge public outcry at the time
about this inhumane treatment.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

Mr. Martim:

I'll take your comments seriously when you put forth actual verifiable evidence of your claims.  So far all you've done is thrown out outrageous, politicized hyperbole.  If you want this conversation to be about Lutheranism, please put forth something Lutheran.  How about the Lutheran doctrine of vocation as it pertains to business practices?  Should leaders and employees check their faith at the door when they walk into work each day?  I'd love nothing more than to have an intelligent conversation with you on the subject, but you'll have to stick to the facts for that to happen.

- Kim Schave

RevSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
There really must be a full moon out. In addition to the chikn idiocies, now the group starts turning on a fellow Lutheran who happens to have a tv show and travels around the world and makes videos supporting ELCA missions. Nice. Really nice.
Going out now, to pick some garlic so I can ward off the other weird and crazy things that start roaming the earth when there is a full moon.
Good grief!

And what would you call referring to the opinions of those on these boards who choose to support Chik Fil a as "chicken idiocies"? Nice. Real nice.
Pastor Steven M. Bliss LCMC and NALC-  St Olaf Lutheran Church, Bode, Iowa

New quote, got tired of questions about Dante quote...

"Doin stuff is overrated. Like Hitler did a lot of stuff but don't we all wish he would have just sat around all day and got stoned?"-Dex from the Tao of Steve

George Erdner

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
The chicken guy believes in traditional heterosexual marriage.
But as a Baptist, I venture he doesn't believe in traditional (infant) baptism. 

Which of his affirmations/beliefs is more important/central to the Christan faith?

I didn't know that we were supposed to rank or prioritize different aspects of our faith. Are we supposed to judge and evaluate who we'll listen to by ranking their Christianness on some sort of numeric scale?

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
I must confess I'm not really sure what eating at or not eating at Chic fil la(?) will really accomplish.  This thread tends to fall into right-wing caricature whilst what started this whole thing - what the Boston and Chicago mayors did - also falls into left-wing caricature.  The driving force of this whole debate appears to be "my rights" whether left or right and I'm not so sure that plays out well with the proclamation of the Gospel.  Going to buy a sandwich at a fast food joint in "protest" doesn't necessarily bespeak Jesus' third way of love.  I think we American Christians are very good at taking the bait and then looking really bad.  Really, it's tit for tat with the 1st Amendment being the clear motivating point.  That's evidenced on this thread.  Yesterday someone posted a pic on Facebook of the drive thru line at a Chic fil la and in the line were mostly SUVs.  I just thought it was rather ironic, SUVs in line at a fast food joint.  Just kinda plays into the image of right wingers that has been propagated for years.  And what do people usually associate with the right wing in our country?  Christianity.

Peace,
Scott+

Personally for me, the bullying that occured at the ELCA church where my family was a member for 30 years is very similar to the bullying I see happening against Mr. Cathy.  This was after an admission very similar to Mr. Cathy's.  Members of my family were aghast at the bullying.  We left that congregation after 30 years of pouring our time and talent there.  This is not a right wing parody for me or for many of those who tell me similar stories.  This is a backlash against some "tolerant" mayors who selectively cut Mr. Cathy out of the herd and are looking to bring him down.  They leave alone other leaders such as Farakan and up until a few weeks ago President Obama.  Their actions are bullying.  Plain and simple.  I am so happy to go and give my support to Mr. Cathy and thank him for bringing a fabulous product to market.  Read Buckeye Deaconess report above, he's a wonderful businessman with great ethics.  But that doesn't stop the hyenas in political office and in the press. 

You can call it typical right wing/left wing but you are missing an important sentiment.  This is bullying plain and simple.  We're tired of it and had a wonderful time supporting a wonderful loving man and his company.

And for me and the buddies I sat with same sex marriage is not the primary issue.  We would have done this if Mr. Cathy had been pilloried for his stance on abortion or gun rights etc.  We are tired of being called something we are not because we have a valid point of view, even the ELCA says so.

Buckeye Deaconness picked a wonderful topic and I will be interested in her follow up after she presents her paper on Mr. Cathy. 

Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »
Buckeye Deaconess, please note that I used the word "probably" in my post about mistreated animals and so I am under no obligation to verify. It is a well known fact though that a huge proportion of animals used for our consumption do lead lives that are less than ideal. OK, you want to think that Mr. Cathy's chickens are happy birds, then go ahead, have a chicken sandwich on me.

And why are we extolling Mr. Cathy? He is not Lutheran. He is a fundamentalist Southern Baptist with a very narrow world view.

He doesn't believe in infant baptism which we as Lutherans uphold.

He doesn't believe in the Real Presence in the Lord's Supper which we as Lutherans uphold.

Most likely he is a "born again" Christian which abrogates all future sins whereas we Lutherans confess daily our sinful nature.

I guess it is OK that Mr. Cathy is the one who decides that the line is drawn between God's "wonderfully and fearfully made" creatures of "Us" versus "Them."

That's what I find disgusting.

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »
I guess it is OK that Mr. Cathy is the one who decides that the line is drawn between God's "wonderfully and fearfully made" creatures of "Us" versus "Them."

Please elaborate.  Where did he use the language of "us vs. them", draw a line that excludes them, and denied that "them" are fearfully and wonderfully made?  It's important because in the quotes provided by his sympathizers on this board, I did not see those words.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?