Poll

Will you eat at Chick-fil-A today?

Yes
21 (32.8%)
No
14 (21.9%)
I would, but there is not a location near me.
29 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day  (Read 9580 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
Dave Benke,

How would you publicly show your support for Chick-Fil-A President, Dan Cathy?  Not asking to be contentious, and if you think my question is inappropriate, no response is necessary.

Linda

No contention taken.  The average bear is just going to do what the rest are doing and buy a chicken sandwich.  The other option would be to separate from the average bears and organize something else that stated why you were doing what you were doing and what it was and wasn't.  But that wouldn't be easy. 

Or you could have a churchly letter thing, even while having your sandwich and eating it too, stating (with others) why you ate that chicken, and that you're not a gay-hater/baiter even though you stand on the side of marriage as the lifelong union of one man and one woman.

Dave Benke

Charles_Austin

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
Or one hen and one rooster?  ;D

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

Exactly! Hen and rooster. The chickens seem to get it. Why can't mankind?

Oh yeah, that sin thing...
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure that the rooster has a whole brood of hens. You sure you want to go there?
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
Yet again you miss the mark. I said nothing about "one."

Mind if we start calling you Mr. Irrelevant?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:54:42 AM by dgkirch »
Don Kirchner

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
I said nothing about "one." Mind if we start calling you Mr. Irrelevant?  ;)

Neither did you say hens and rooster.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »
I said nothing about "one." Mind if we start calling you Mr. Irrelevant?  ;)

Neither did you say hens and rooster.

Indeed. Try to focus, Rev. Stoffregen.
Don Kirchner

Jim_Krauser

• "The one who is righteous shall live by faith."
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
The chicken guy believes in traditional heterosexual marriage.
But as a Baptist, I venture he doesn't believe in traditional (infant) baptism. 

Which of his affirmations/beliefs is more important/central to the Christan faith?

Jim Krauser

Pastor-Grace Evang. Lutheran Church, North Bellmore, NY

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
"Americans flocked by the thousands to Chick-fil-A restaurants yesterday in support of CEO Dan Cathy’s comments in favor of traditional marriage, sending lines sprawling through restaurants, parking lots, down sidewalks, and around street corners. This morning the company confirmed, without releasing numbers, that it was an “unprecedented” day."

http://www.worldmag.com/webextra/19793

Coach-Rev

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the rooster has a whole brood of hens. You sure you want to go there?

Brian, your incessant comparison about the multiple views of marriage in the Bible suggest that with this statement, you consider humanity no better than a hen or rooster.  ::)

Charles_Austin

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
We are all animals.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
"For the first time in my life, today I visited a Chick-fil-A to show my support for Cathy’s right to free speech, answering the call of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who had proclaimed today “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day.” I live in LA so, I was not expecting much in way of support but, I was not just surprised, I was blown away. The Chick-fil-A in Northridge, California, had a line that twisted throughout the parking lot. It was almost 100 degrees but, that didn’t seem to deter anyone. They were peaceful and the demographic was wide ranging. Blacks, whites, teenagers, kids, Latinos and all other categories you could imagine. At this location there were no anti-Chick-fil-A protesters.

So, how was the chicken? Amazing! Now I know why people love this place. The store was run extremely well. Clean, polite and efficient. The staff brought water to those in line, they handed out umbrellas for protection from the sun and they served delicious food quickly. This has been replicated across the nation. This huge one day movement involving millions of supporters made their opinions heard and voted with their money and presence. It has been estimated that the chain will have booked almost $100 million in revenue or more just today."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/derekbroes/2012/08/01/chic-fil-a-day/

I happened to be in LA over the weekend and couldn't believe how long the drive-thru line was at Chick-fil-A.  We opted for In-N-Out that day, which I just learned today actually prints John 3:16 on the bottom of their cups.  I didn't even see that when we were partaking.  Successful corporations integrating their faith into their business practices . . . imagine that!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:30:14 PM by Buckeye Deaconess »

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
Don Kirchner

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
I will simply remind you - as I believe it was Bergs earlier who also did - who started this whole mess?  Think hard.  It wasn't the "anti-gay" "Christian right" "mean-spirited/hateful" supporters of traditional marriage.  It was those revisionists who claim to espouse such tremendous tolerance for all points of view.

And quite frankly, I'm deeply offended by your insistence that anyone who stands up for a man who espoused a traditional view of marriage as "anti-gay."  Your veiled disgust at Rev. Falk and the youth group is equally offensive and - dare I say it? - bully behavior.

1)  I am aware who started this - and I do recognize it was the supporters of tolerance for gays.  And I'm not considered by anyone who knows me a revisionist - probably quite the opposite.  I spent many years in advertising and television and I know a bit about perception - which often dictates reality.  Do I think some people were out there for  free speech - yeah, some.  But do I think that the gay issue motivated them - yes, I do.  Now if that's poor construction, sorry - but I did listen to interviews of people going in and out of C-A-F and sure sounded like that to me.   

2)  It's not veiled disgust -- frankly I did find the whole thing off-putting -- and it wasn't meant to be bullying.  My word - with some of the stuff written on this site you think that's bullying!!  I take great interest in our youth group and I simply would be offended to have had them take part in yesterday's event - because of the perceived intolerance of the event. 

passerby

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
Very nice Buckeye Deaconness.  It's a much better discussion of it than the work and faith presentation I heard from Rick Steves at Luther Seminary a few years back.  His big thing?  He goes to church when he travels to all of the fabulous places he goes to (and tells you where you can find prostitutes for hire).  The rest of the talk he bashed Americans for being so backward and really laid into President George W. Bush.

Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN

Rick Steves! From watching his show and reading a few interviews, he sounds like the quintessential ethnic-cultural Lutheran who is clueless about theology.