Poll

Will you eat at Chick-fil-A today?

Yes
21 (32.8%)
No
14 (21.9%)
I would, but there is not a location near me.
29 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day  (Read 9547 times)

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
So, a Chic-A-Fila CEO by his recent comments drives everyone to one of his franchises in support of his anti-gay position (and he is making millions off of it). Sensitive subjects such as this need in depth discussion, not through his chicken sandwiches.

How are his comments "anti-gay?"

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
By the way other church leaders have stepped in.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/31/chicago-religious-leaders-back-chick-fil/

These religious leaders understand the issue is less about same-sex marriage but about bullying.  They ask the very question that Rev. Austin asks in his most recent post (but with a little different POV).
"Is the City Council going to set up a 'Council Committee on Un-Chicagoan Activities' and call those of us who are suspect to appear before it?"
the ELCA with its anti-bullying statement sits on the sideline when this happens in their headquarter city.

Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »
Thank you RogerMartin & Pastor Austin.  When I first saw this thread, early last evening, I was a bit taken back by it.  Maybe I wouldn't go as far as to say disgusting - but I was very put off by the enthusiasm of the responses and I can assure you I would be very upset and very vocal if our youth group had Chick-Fil-A brought in.  Now, before the response comes in on my views on gay marriage - I am against it - I am against all that went on in the 2009 CWA. I think that we are called to faithfulness and the church has strayed from that call.  That being said, this struck me as very anti-gay - about as bullying in its own way as we feel the head of C-F-A was bullied.   As a matter of free speech, I support his right to his views and definitely do not think his franchises could be kept out of any city due to his views.  Yet - I don't think being gay is a matter of choice -  gosh, I think I'll go for same-sex today!  More and more studies are coming out supporting that this is simply the way one is born.  Acting out one's sexual preference is a matter of choice and for those who choose to be celibate, it has to be a very difficult discipline.  And for those who do not choose to be celibate - I can't say that I support it, but God decided (wisely) that he, not I, am judge.  I simply have to love them.  If anyone is deluded into thinking that people flocked to C-F-A to support first amendment rights - please, visit me here out East, I've got a great bridge you might be interested in.  This action was perceived as hateful and hurtful to gays - and it really came across to me that way as well.   So now on Friday we have yet another C-F-A media op.   

BTW - I checked "no."  For health reasons I do not eat fast food; however, I went onto the website and clicked on the menu.   Perhaps what we should be doing is having a Body Appreciation Day - when we don't load our bodies with the fat and salt that goes into this stuff - and definitely don't give it to our kids - recognizing that God gave us our bodies as gifts of which we are stewards. 

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
If anyone is deluded into thinking that people flocked to C-F-A to support first amendment rights - please, visit me here out East, I've got a great bridge you might be interested in.  This action was perceived as hateful and hurtful to gays - and it really came across to me that way as well.   So now on Friday we have yet another C-F-A media op.   

That's certainly best construction.  ::)

I assure you that it was indeed about First Amendment rights -- which do include freedom of religious belief and assembly as well as freedom of speech -- for many including friends of mine who went yesterday. 

The article DCharlton points to corroborates this.  Gay rights have moved beyond tolerance to intolerance of the traditional Christian definition of marriage.

Ross Douthat has a insightful article on the Chick-fil-A mess.  http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/chick-fil-a-and-social-change/ In it, he gives what I consider a fair description what is taking place:

The cause of gay marriage has indeed advanced because many millions of people have been persuaded of its merits: No cause could move so swiftly from the margins to the mainstream if it didn’t have appealing arguments supporting it and powerful winds at its back. But it has also advanced, and will probably continue to advance, through social pressure, ideological enforcement, and legal restriction. Indeed, the very language of the movement is explicitly designed to exert this kind of pressure: By redefining yesterday’s consensus view of marriage as “bigotry,” and expanding the term “homophobia” to cover support for that older consensus as well as personal discomfort with/animus toward gays, the gay marriage movement isn’t just arguing with its opponents; it’s pathologizing them, raising the personal and professional costs of being associated with traditional views on marriage, and creating the space for exactly the kind of legal sanctions that figures like Thomas Menino and Rahm Emanuel spent last week flirting with.

Mike

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
Gay rights have moved beyond tolerance to intolerance of the traditional Christian definition of marriage.

Not simply the "Christian" definition of marriage, but marriage as defined in cultures that have not been influenced by Christianity, and even cultures that have been hostile to the Faith.

spt+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Lutheranistic

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »
In fact, perhaps unlike other Christians, I would be just as outraged by a city mayor blocking JC Penney from placing a store in their city because of JCP's recent marketing to gays.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, for bringing up the JCP kerfluffel of a few months back...I was about to post something about the (non?) parallels to the Chick-kerfluffel when I saw your comment. I appreciate your sentiment and agree with you, but I'll bet any number of bags of chicken sandwiches that the same folks standing in line yesterday would not have been in line to buy to bag of dress socks at JCP if the situation had been "a city mayor blocking JC Penney from placing a store in their city because of JCP's recent marketing to gays." Except maybe you and me.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »
Thank you RogerMartin & Pastor Austin.  When I first saw this thread, early last evening, I was a bit taken back by it.  Maybe I wouldn't go as far as to say disgusting - but I was very put off by the enthusiasm of the responses and I can assure you I would be very upset and very vocal if our youth group had Chick-Fil-A brought in.  Now, before the response comes in on my views on gay marriage - I am against it - I am against all that went on in the 2009 CWA. I think that we are called to faithfulness and the church has strayed from that call.  That being said, this struck me as very anti-gay - about as bullying in its own way as we feel the head of C-F-A was bullied.   As a matter of free speech, I support his right to his views and definitely do not think his franchises could be kept out of any city due to his views.  Yet - I don't think being gay is a matter of choice -  gosh, I think I'll go for same-sex today!  More and more studies are coming out supporting that this is simply the way one is born.  Acting out one's sexual preference is a matter of choice and for those who choose to be celibate, it has to be a very difficult discipline.  And for those who do not choose to be celibate - I can't say that I support it, but God decided (wisely) that he, not I, am judge.  I simply have to love them.  If anyone is deluded into thinking that people flocked to C-F-A to support first amendment rights - please, visit me here out East, I've got a great bridge you might be interested in.  This action was perceived as hateful and hurtful to gays - and it really came across to me that way as well.   So now on Friday we have yet another C-F-A media op.   

BTW - I checked "no."  For health reasons I do not eat fast food; however, I went onto the website and clicked on the menu.   Perhaps what we should be doing is having a Body Appreciation Day - when we don't load our bodies with the fat and salt that goes into this stuff - and definitely don't give it to our kids - recognizing that God gave us our bodies as gifts of which we are stewards.

I will simply remind you - as I believe it was Bergs earlier who also did - who started this whole mess?  Think hard.  It wasn't the "anti-gay" "Christian right" "mean-spirited/hateful" supporters of traditional marriage.  It was those revisionists who claim to espouse such tremendous tolerance for all points of view.

And quite frankly, I'm deeply offended by your insistence that anyone who stands up for a man who espoused a traditional view of marriage as "anti-gay."  Your veiled disgust at Rev. Falk and the youth group is equally offensive and - dare I say it? - bully behavior. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:17:12 AM by Coach-Rev »

Charles_Austin

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
 Pastor Cottingham cites remarks above as "equally offensive and - dare I say it? - bullish."

I note:
Bullish:
 a   : marked by, tending to cause, or hopeful of rising prices (as in a stock market) <a bullish market> <bullish policies> <bullish investors>    b   : optimistic about something's or someone's prospects <bullish on the company's future>
Source Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
;) ;D

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
A spokeswoman for the 93 year old Rev. Billy Graham
said he ate a Chick-Fil-A lunch including a chicken
sandwich and waffle fries at his North Carolina home.

So on Wednesday, August 1, he showed solidarity for
freedom of speech and freedom of religion with his
fellow Americans.  Billy Graham is a man of the people
who loves the United States of America.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »
Pastor Cottingham cites remarks above as "equally offensive and - dare I say it? - bullish."

I note:
Bullish:
 a   : marked by, tending to cause, or hopeful of rising prices (as in a stock market) <a bullish market> <bullish policies> <bullish investors>    b   : optimistic about something's or someone's prospects <bullish on the company's future>
Source Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
;) ;D
correction duly noted and made.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
Pastor Likeness writes:
So on Wednesday, August 1, he showed solidarity for
freedom of speech and freedom of religion with his
fellow Americans.  Billy Graham is a man of the people
who loves the United States of America.

I muse:
And a man who, at his age, maybe ought to be a little careful about what he eats.
I don't think "freedom of religion" is at stake (could I write "steak"?) in this silliness; but just to show I'm not such a bad egg, maybe I'll go an eat a chickn in support of freedom of speech. But I don't think that's a real issue here either.
I do think they could create a sandwich which would draw journalists such as this humble correspondent. It would include a fil-a of a young hen with a mysterious spicy sauce, and be called "Pullet-surprise".

Linda

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Dave Benke,

How would you publicly show your support for Chick-Fil-A President, Dan Cathy?  Not asking to be contentious, and if you think my question is inappropriate, no response is necessary.

Linda

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
And a man who, at his age, maybe ought to be a little careful about what he eats.

Uh, why?  At my age I need to be careful about what I eat so that I can make three-score and ten.

Having made 93 I'd think that Rev. Graham is pretty free to eat whatever he pleases.  The Lord has already blessed him with more years than most.

Mike

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Chick-fil-A has a healthier food offering in their grilled chicken options.  In fact, what do you know?  They are on the leading edge of offering the healthiest kids' meals of any fast food franchise.  They continue to show their concern for community.

Apparently some would stifle free speech even on this forum.  Go figure?!

Charles_Austin

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
Just who is it, deaconess, who would stifle "free speech even on this forum"? Name names.

How nice that they offer "healthy food." But it still seems to me that something important about the culinary and gustatory experience is lost in fast-food "dining."
And that goes for the chickn folks, Wendy's, Roy Rogers, Burger King, McD's, Taco Bell, or any other such outlet.