Poll

Will you eat at Chick-fil-A today?

Yes
21 (32.8%)
No
14 (21.9%)
I would, but there is not a location near me.
29 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day  (Read 9567 times)

exegete77

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Believe, teach, and confess
Re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
I had another reason to travel 60 miles this morning, and when I got hungry, I checked and a Chick-fil-A was 0.2 miles from there. So I ate at 11:00 AM. About 15 cars in line, and about 30 people in line. When I left, there were 25+ cars in line and about 50 people in line outside the door, plus 20+ inside.

I have always liked eating at Chick-fil-A whenever one is close.
Rich Shields (TAALC)

Blessed to be a blessing; forgiven to be forgiving
believe, teach, and confess

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
There is no Chick-Fil-A here, unfortunately. But I am joining the "eat-in" in spirit.

But don't you have Burger King and Pizza Hut there?  I mean what's more American than frequenting such establishments on a day like today?  Especially on an island that propagates Communism.

Peace,
Scott+

I did eat at the galley tonight - they had fried chicken so I declared it to be Chick-Fil-A and joined the eat-in. ;D

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:25 PM »
I find this thread started by Buckeye Deaconess absolutely disgusting. This has no place in discussing Lutheran issues. Yes, we can be light-hearted at times, but this is decidedly a political matter.

I've never eaten at a Chick-A-Fila (a very poor orthographic rendition that bespeaks of stupidness) and like it is with Pastor Stoffregen, I would have to drive hundreds of miles to find one and I am not about to get in my car to find one.

Deaconess, why would you even want to bring up this matter. It has nothing to do with Lutheranism. It's extolling a point of view of the CEO who wanted to make it a political matter. Now he is raking in millions of dollars with people lining up around the block for a political chicken sandwich.

Again, I find this thread so totally off the wall.

And nutritionally, it sounds like a place that many of us should not frequent.

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
I find this thread started by Buckeye Deaconess absolutely disgusting. This has no place in discussing Lutheran issues. Yes, we can be light-hearted at times, but this is decidedly a political matter.

I've never eaten at a Chick-A-Fila (a very poor orthographic rendition that bespeaks of stupidness) and like it is with Pastor Stoffregen, I would have to drive hundreds of miles to find one and I am not about to get in my car to find one.

Deaconess, why would you even want to bring up this matter. It has nothing to do with Lutheranism. It's extolling a point of view of the CEO who wanted to make it a political matter. Now he is raking in millions of dollars with people lining up around the block for a political chicken sandwich.

Disgusting?  That sounds a bit dramatic.  How is it disgusting?  Like so many threads on this board I find a great freedom in reading what I want to and ignoring what I don't want to read.  Likewise with where I eat.  I don't think this thread will upset the general Lutheran nature of this site.  In my brief observation here many threads stray far from their intended theme, and much of that straying often betrays little direct connection with specific Lutheran theology and practice.  Yet the world goes on....
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Tom Eckstein

• Tom Eckstein
    • View Profile
    • Concordia Lutheran Church, Jamestown, ND
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »
Alas, there is no Chick-fil-a restaurant in North Dakota!

However, my family and I will be leaving on vacation this Friday and driving to Florida, then to Texas, and then back up to ND.  We will have MANY opportunities to eat at Chick-fil-a restaurants and I look forward to it because 1) I've always LOVED their food and 2) I want to support them after the recent nonsense.

I'm an LCMS Pastor in Jamestown, ND.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong (didn't have time research first but I wanted to post right now), but I am under the impression that this (today) Wednesday Chick-fil-A day was organized by third-parties, and not the company.  And motivated in large part in reaction to the comments of office holders in Boston and Chicago expressing hostility to the continuance of the company's business in their jurisdictions because of the recent comments by the CEO, which until 3 or 4 months ago were not different than the public views of the president of the United States.

I don't know if you agree with the position of your synod regarding same-sex marriage, Roger Martim, but the heavy-handedness by certain office holders most certainly could have an impact on a certain segment of Lutheranism in the U.S. if left unchecked.  First they came for the chicken sandwich makers, and I said nothing...

Sterling Spatz
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:19:56 PM by MaddogLutheran »
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Scott6

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong (didn't have time research first but I wanted to post right now), but I am under the impression that this (today) Wednesday Chick-fil-A day was organized by third-parties, and not the company.  And motivated in large part in reaction to the comments of office holders in Boston and Chicago expressing hostility to the continuance of the company's business in their jurisdictions because of the recent comments by the CEO, which until 3 or 4 months ago were not different that the public views of the president of the United States.

I don't know if you agree with the position of your synod regarding same-sex marriage, Roger Martim, but the heavy-handedness by certain office holders most certainly could have an impact on a certain segment of Lutheranism in the U.S. if left unchecked.  First they came for the chicken sandwich makers, and I said nothing...

Sterling Spatz

Yup.  Which is why "disgusting" strikes me as over-the-top (especially re: what is by all accounts a great chikn sandwich).  I think it is of relevance to Lutherans and other citizens of the U.S. whether or not our government is following its founding documents (notice that I make no mention of "biblical principles" or other such things).  When a government official thinks that he can ban a business because he disagrees with the political or religious views of its founders, as citizens all of our rights are threatened.

It's not a theological issue; but neither do we live in a "pure" theological world.  Rather, we are citizens of two kingdoms, and in this left-hand matter, we have lots of reasons to assert our rights under this particular left-hand constitutional regime.

MaddogLutheran

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
Being the frugal Dutchman that I am, I could not deviate tonight from my ocassional habit of taking advantage of my local Burger King's Whopper Wednesday discount.  In my outer suburban Philadelphia neighborhood, the BK happens to be in the same movie theater complex as a Chick-fil-A.  I can't see it from the direction I came from work, but I could tell something was unusual when I got to BK: the drive-thru was backed up, so I went inside and also had to wait.  Turns out BK got the "overflow" of people (probably C-f-A regulars) and so they were busier than usual too, as the only other fast food on the pad site.  But I didn't understand until, waiting for my Whopper, I heard someone mentioned the crowd over at the C-f-A, but he didn't understand why.  That's when my light bulb went on that today was the day.  Driving home, I couldn't believe the crowd over there.  Didn't get a great look, so I couldn't tell whether it was also some pro/anti people, aside from any food patrons.  At any rate, very unusual in my quiet semi-rural area.  This thing apparently had some legs.  Surprising and bit impressive to me.
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »
The current president of Chick-Fil-A and son of
its founder was simply exercising his freedom of
speech.  He said that he upholds the traditional
marriage of man and woman rather than same-sex
marriages.

Our present culture is drifting away from the
traditional Christian values.  As Lutheran pastors
and laity we need to give a witness that Marriage
is an institution created by God.  We can not cave-in
to the world and accept homosexual marriages.

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
So, a Chic-A-Fila CEO by his recent comments drives everyone to one of his franchises in support of his anti-gay position (and he is making millions off of it). Sensitive subjects such as this need in depth discussion, not through his chicken sandwiches.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »

Well, the 37 38 people who responded to the poll disagree, as do I.  This is a newsworthy topic among all of Christiandom today, especially as the HHS mandate goes into effect; both have implications relating to government overstepping its bounds with respect to religious freedom.

I'll stick with what the guys just posited above about your comments being overdramatic.  After all, I could put forth the same complaint about some of your posts, but that would just be rude.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:46:33 PM by Buckeye Deaconess »

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »
So, a Chic-A-Fila CEO by his recent comments drives everyone to one of his franchises in support of his anti-gay position (and he is making millions off of it). Sensitive subjects such as this need in depth discussion, not through his chicken sandwiches.

Um, the CEO had nothing to do with today, Gov. Huckabee did.  It would help to have all the facts before going off on a political tangent.

His web site is here:
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huckabee-news?ContentRecord_id=3ee26004-f520-4f45-b327-9bd7e37e2cdc
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:43:59 PM by Buckeye Deaconess »

MaddogLutheran

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
If you have something concrete to correct my prior offering as to how the "Appreciation Day" came to be, please do so--but assuming I'm not incorrect, why do you keep harping on the company "making millions" off of this.  It was not a controversy of its making.

And why do you call the CEO's position anti-gay? Objecting to this proposition is exactly the point Pr. Charlton has been making on the recent "Intolerance among the Tolerant" thread.  By this standard (oppositon to same-sex marriage), is the ELS also anti-gay?

Sterling Spatz
P.S. Thank you deaconess!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:58:17 PM by MaddogLutheran »
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »

Wrong!  Mr. Cathy did not make an anti-gay remark.  He said:

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say ‘we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage’ and I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.”

“We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that,” Cathy said.

There is no place in there that says that he hates gays that he will keep gays out of his store that he will not sell a franchise to a gay person that he will prevent gays from adopting children...  Actually divorced people might be more offended.

He is now being subjected to terrible bullying.  The mayors of Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco say clearly he is not welcome to open franchises in their cities.  That's anti-traditionalist.  That's real bullying.  That's real discrimination.  If the ELCA were serious about bullying in their headquarter city they'd send a note to Mayor Emanuel demanding an apology to Mr. Cathy.

As for me I made my way over to the only accessible Chick-fil-a in the Twin Cities.  The place was swamped.  Unbelievable!  Wonderful people there standing up to the bullies and voting with their palates. 

The chicken sandwich was wonderful.  It was a good day.  You can check out the pictures at this blog from the heart of Lutherland and you may even see someone you know!

http://www.timdroogsma.blogspot.com/

Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN

But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
This is especially pertinent to me because I've recently studied the integration of faith and work alongside a cohort of 19 others from all denominations (and even no denominations).  You would be surprised at how many corporations have faith-based offerings because of their understanding that it makes a better, more well-rounded employee.  This is in keeping with the doctrine of vocation as Lutherans.  We don't check our faith at the door when we enter the workplace.  Corporations recognize this and are becoming much more open to allowing for spirituality in the workplace, moreso than we have seen in the past.

For more on Truett Cathy, here is a snippet from my group's paper that we'll be presenting in Denver in the fall.  I'm guessing we'll have some lively discussions now thanks to this brew-ha-ha!  ;)

Truett Cathy, Chick-fil-A

Truett Cathy is a visionary with a penchant for entrepreneurism and a commitment to community and young people.  His Christian faith guides his business decisions, and most notably, his decision to close his restaurants on Sunday.  He maintains that giving employees this day off to rest, spend time with family and worship if they desire is part of his company’s recipe for success.  Chick-fil-A has seen 43 consecutive years of positive sales growth as well as the achievement of system-wide sales of $3.5 billion in 2010 (an 11.37% increase over the chain's 2009 performance and a same-store sales increase of 5.62%). Cathy has found a winning recipe not only in his famous chicken sandwich, but also in allowing room for spirituality within the workplace.  After successfully growing a single small restaurant (aptly named the Dwarf Grill because of its small size) into a franchise with over 1,480 restaurants over the course of sixty years, he remains committed to corporate stewardship by giving back to the community that made his success possible (“Chick-fil-A Corporate Web Site,” 2012; “S. Truett Cathy,” 2011).

In 1984, he founded the WinShape Foundation, which stemmed from his interest in helping young people succeed in life through scholarships and other youth-related programs. In addition, through Chick-fil-A’s Leadership Scholarship Program, more than $25 million in scholarships have been awarded to restaurant employees since 1973.  A new venture called the WinShape Homes program has allowed for the creation of eight foster care homes which provide a positive family environment.  Additionally, WinShape Camps, residential, two-week summer camps that reach out to youth and families by enhancing their Christian faith, character and relationships, have been in operation since 1985.  In 2003, WinShape Retreat was opened and offers high-end retreat and conference accommodations for hosting marriage-enrichment retreats, business and church-related conferences. The WinShape Retreat also offers WinShape Camp for girls in the summer. (“Chick-fil-A Corporate Web Site,“ 2012; “S. Truett Cathy,” 2011).

Caldwell, et al (2011) quotes Cathy’s commitment to employees and communities and: “Without profit, we cannot take care of our employees, our families, or contribute to the betterment of our communities. The question is: How do we balance the pursuit of profit and personal character? For me, I find that balance by applying Biblical principles. I see no conflict between Biblical principles and good business practices.”

The results of this commitment are evident in that Chick-fil-A has the lowest turnover rate in the industry (5% vs. over 60%) and is a strong advocate of lifetime employment.  Franchisees seek married workers and hire their family members.  It is required that franchises remain closed on Sunday so that employees can go to church if they so wish. Managers are encouraged to host Bible study groups and market their restaurants through church groups (Fry & Slocum, 2008).  Cathy says of his company, ‘‘You don’t have to be a Christian to work at Chick-fil-A, but we ask you to base your business on Biblical principles, because they work’’ (Fry and Slocum, 2008, p. 90).

Fry and Slocum also note that although federal laws do not prohibit companies from asking personal questions about religion and marital status, most companies don’t out of fear of discrimination claims. The authors state, “Chick-fil-A has been sued at least 12 times since 1998 on charges of employment discrimination and might have faced more lawsuits if its franchisees were not independent contractors and didn’t screen potential hires and operators so carefully—a process that can take up to a year and include dozens of interviews” (p. 90).

As outspoken as Cathy may be on matters of faith, it has not hindered him from holding a respected and favored position within the business sector.  At a U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection hearing in 2002, Cathy quoted Proverbs 22:11:  “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold” (Smith, 2003, p. 48).  Smith (2003) points to Cathy as an example that success does not come from fame and fortune because “most people come to realize that inner peace and soul-deep satisfaction” instead come from living a life based on integrity and noble character (p. 48). Chick-fil-A is representative of organizations that are open to allowing spirituality in the workplace to foster a culture that promotes integrity and builds character among its stakeholders.

Cathy’s approach to integrating faith and work fits within the ethics (ET) type of Miller’s (2007) Four E’s model.  He has purposefully infused his Biblical values into his business practices.  The ethical framework upon which he built his business is taken from Biblical teachings, and these teachings inform the policies and practices of the company and its franchises.  They also inform the emphasis that Chick-fil-A places on the triple bottom line.  In addition to focusing on solid business performance, the company takes their obligation towards society and the environment seriously.  This is manifested in the various CSR programs they have implemented which promote community and the environment.