Author Topic: I Have a Call  (Read 3148 times)

SCPO

Re: I Have a Call
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
I do not want to rain on Rev. Wolf's parade --

Yes, but you went ahead and did it anyway.  You back up what Pastor Fienen posted on another thread.

SCPO

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
Agreed. I felt the RC priest analogy was not comparable.

Lou

Nor was the analogy of your sister shacking up, but I digress.

SCPO

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
    Let me say one more thing:  I hesitated to launch this thread in part because I know that, for some, receiving a call to an ELCA parish may not be considered a positive move.  I'm sure there are some, both outside and inside the ELCA, who see this as, at best, a mixed "blessing," whether for me or for the ELCA.  Congratulating me in that case would be problematic.  I can respect that, for such are the times in which we live and do ministry. 

I also know that when one launches a thread here, it stays on point for about a page and a half, and then like the wind it blows where it will!  I can only hope this thread doesn't go off into too negative a direction, but in fact I have little control over that.  Guys, behave yourselves, ok?  It's almost Christmas!  ::)

So, whether or not this is the outcome you would have hoped for me, you at least know how things have turned out, and what my status will be in the coming year.  It is indeed the answer to my prayer, even as it causes me to pray anew for the gifts and wisdom to serve God's people appropriately in this place.  And if this thread now goes off into a discussion of more political matters, you will understand (I hope) if I just drop out of that conversation. 

Again, blessings on all of you as you prepare to celebrate the birth of the Word made flesh.
Erma

Congratulations Pastor Wolf; their is no doubt that the Holy Spirit has placed you where your gifts are needed.  Here is wishing you and your family a most blessed Christmas.

Timotheus Verinus

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »
[Pr Bohler (and Lou),
As a pastor in such a confession, with a deaconess wife as a full partner in the Gospel, I will try a more appropriate thread for one reply to your question]

Erma,

I am pleased, that God has chosen to remind you that He has not forgotten you, nor has He neglected your willing servant's heart. He blesses His people even when it seems darkest, and when chaos and doubt are all about us, He reminds us, He is faithful. There are rainbows in the midst of rain.  ;D

May God watch over and shepherd you as you seek to serve Him, and continue to bestow on you the gifts you need, beyond the many already given, and bless His work you do for Him.

I rejoice with you as you move from the dark despair of doubt, to the task and challenges that are now before you. He has been faithful in the past, He will certainly be, in your future. May that be all the affirmation we ever need, especially when the doubt of challenges rise up again with His broken people. When that happens, I encourage you to recall this moment of joy! when He heard your cry. Do we think He is deaf, with no ways and plans of His own, and only our voice needs to be heard?

Merry Christmas and His Blessings this time of year,
TV

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:56:57 PM by Timotheus Verinus »
TAALC Pastor

George Erdner

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
    Let me say one more thing:  I hesitated to launch this thread in part because I know that, for some, receiving a call to an ELCA parish may not be considered a positive move.  I'm sure there are some, both outside and inside the ELCA, who see this as, at best, a mixed "blessing," whether for me or for the ELCA.  Congratulating me in that case would be problematic.  I can respect that, for such are the times in which we live and do ministry. 

I also know that when one launches a thread here, it stays on point for about a page and a half, and then like the wind it blows where it will!  I can only hope this thread doesn't go off into too negative a direction, but in fact I have little control over that.  Guys, behave yourselves, ok?  It's almost Christmas!  ::)

So, whether or not this is the outcome you would have hoped for me, you at least know how things have turned out, and what my status will be in the coming year.  It is indeed the answer to my prayer, even as it causes me to pray anew for the gifts and wisdom to serve God's people appropriately in this place.  And if this thread now goes off into a discussion of more political matters, you will understand (I hope) if I just drop out of that conversation. 

Again, blessings on all of you as you prepare to celebrate the birth of the Word made flesh.
Erma

I am pleased to learn that you received that which you wanted to receive.

swbohler

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »
I have started a new thread, as Rev. Wolf has requested, to discuss my concerns as stated above on this thread -- if anyone cares to explore that further.

Team Hesse

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
Apologies Erma. No disrespect intended. Again Merry Christmas and congratulations.

Lou

TravisW

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
Congratulations, Pr. Wolf  :)

swbohler

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »
SCPO,

You wrote: "You back up what Pastor Fienen posted on another thread."  Could you provide a link, or quote?  I have no idea to what you are referring.

By the way, my posts above have nothing to do with Rev. Wolf or the propriety of her call.  She and the congregation are acting in accordance with their public confession and teaching.  My posts were directed to those whose public confession says that God's Word prohibits women from serving as pastors and asking them how they reconcile that with their words of congratulations.  That is why I agreed to do as Rev. Wolf requested and start a new thread for those that wish to discuss that issue.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:22:53 PM by swbohler »

Charles_Austin

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Pastor Bohler wrote:
I have a question: is it appropriate to congratulate a woman on a call into that office?  If you believe that God has restricted women from serving as pastors, how can you congratulate her on doing something you believe God has prohibited?  I understand the desire to say something nice but...
I comment:
Well, why don't you just say it, Pastor Bohler? Say it.
Say.. "Now listen, Erma, you are doing something that all Bible-believing Christians know women should not do, for God has forbidden women to preach and preside. That is God's Word and you are going against it. This is not a moment for rejoicing, but a moment for admonition, which I am please to be able to deliver to you."
Good grief! Thank heaven that some others, even in the LCMS, are not so arrogant and unctuous and can exercise some grace and courtesy!

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
Congratulations and may your call be a blessing to the congregation and to you.  If your sermons and teaching are as wise as your posts here, those blessings will flow like a Red River flood.

Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »
Erma, may the congregation be a blessing to you as I know that you will be to them.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

J.L. Precup

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
Erma, thank you for sharing your news.  May the joy you feel in receiving your call continue in joyfully serving your people.  Be assured God's own Spirit had a hand in calling you for such a time as this. 

Angel's broke into song at Christ's birth.  Here is a verse of my favorite Christmas hymn, Of the Father's Love Begotten.  Blessings to you.

Sing, ye heights of heaven, his praises;
Angels and Archangels, sing!
Wheresoe’er ye be, ye faithful,
Let your joyous anthems ring,
Every tongue his name confessing,
Countless voices answering,
Evermore and evermore.
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

swbohler

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
Rev. Austin,

If you were to read what I wrote, you find that I say nothing about Rev. Wolf or her call -- for or against.  But I do ask those who believe/teach/confess that God and His Word restrict the pastoral office to men how they can congratulate someone for doing something they believe is contrary to God's Word.  It is not Rev. Wolf I am questioning in this thread, but fellow LCMS'ers -- and conservative ones, with whom I almost always agree.  And you missed it entirely!  But at least you got your obligatory attacks in, so let that be some comfort to you.

gcnuss

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
Erma,
God's blessings to you and to the congregation which has called you.