Author Topic: It's Not Too Late!  (Read 1001 times)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
It's Not Too Late!
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
I picked up a copy of our North Jersey newspaper yesterday, The Record, and I believe I do not exaggerate when I saw it weighed more than I do.  Not that a lot has happened around here, it was simply the ads for Christmas reminding us that it's not too late - stores will be open 24 hours!

Well, as it's not too late - I have a gift idea for all of you last minute shoppers:  For All the Saints - published and can be purchased right here on this spot.  No - none of the ALPB folk nor the moderators herein have asked me to post this morning.

I have all four volumes - and I'll admit that I've used it intermittently.  This Advent, I made it a discipline to Advent devotions using this treasure.  The first two weeks were tough - not the time that it took, but the readings were, well, a bit less than comforting.   But as we move through Advent we see not only see our sin as separating us from God and His judgment - but we see the the promise of the gift of Christ, restoring us in His grace.  The prayers have been magnificent.

Like most of you, I am busy this time of year - active in the church, responsible for recruiting and scheduling worship participants (anyone want to acolyte on New Year's Day?); I do the things many do this time of year: buy gifts, wrap, write cards, and bake.  And have had two sessions of chemo.  But I've never been more at peace with all that is going on around me - and I know that going through this discipline of time set aside with God has made all the difference.

For All the Saints truly is a great devotional piece.  I may be preaching to the choir, but if you think you may need to be in Macy's at 2 a.m. (yes, they'll be open!), boot up your laptop right from your bedside and order the volumes.

Charles_Austin

Re: It's Not Too Late!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
I have used (and praised) "For All the Saints" since it was first published.
My usage has not been consistent, tends to be seasonal and attached to the state of my spiritual health, time, travels, and general cussedness. But I have consistently praised this remarkable publication.
It is getting some competition now from The Daily Office by Phyllis Tickle. Not nearly as complete or satisfying, but available on my Kindle Fire.
A Kindle Fire edition of For All the Saints would be terrific.

Scott6

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
I have used (and praised) "For All the Saints" since it was first published.
My usage has not been consistent, tends to be seasonal and attached to the state of my spiritual health, time, travels, and general cussedness. But I have consistently praised this remarkable publication.
It is getting some competition now from The Daily Office by Phyllis Tickle. Not nearly as complete or satisfying, but available on my Kindle Fire.
A Kindle Fire edition of For All the Saints would be terrific.

Or better yet, a full app like The Treasurey of Daily Prayer.  Though, of course, that is much more difficult to do...

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
I also bought the full four volumes some years ago after discovering them at a graduate course in the 90's with Dr. Just.  And like other posters have to admit a less than consistent use of them, although a much greater effort since my time among the Benedictine Anglicans at Nashotah.  And similar to another parallel discussion on Bible translations it can be likewise said that not all devotionals are equal or without their weaknesses, For All the Saints being no exception.  As a Missourian I would have purchased the Treasure of Daily Prayer if it had been available then, but since I made the investment in the earlier work I am sticking with it.  For All the Saints uses the RSV and the BCP translation for the psalter, if I remember correctly, but that has not bothered me.  I grew up with the RSV so it is familiar. The wording for Morning Prayer is a bit different from the LW version, especially the Venite, but I simply copied the translation I was familiar with and inserted it in my copy. One point I especially appreciate are the psalm prayers.  They offer a wonderful Christian summary of each psalm.  The fourth reading is occasionally helpful and not all of them appeal to me, but it is optional.  Another plus for the work is that everything is available in the single volume without requiring the user to employ multiple books.  The full psalter is reprinted in each volume.  One advantage I see of For All the Saints over Treasure of Daily Prayer is the very practical issue of weight and portability.  But then I still do not have a Kindle and must carry the paper copy with me.  For All the Saints is small enough to fit conveniently in the average briefcase. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles_Austin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
On a Kindle or the new Kindle Fire, one can set "bookmarks" making it easy to go to any place in the book. And if For All The Saints was Kindle-ized, we could do that too; or - during the times when we were being diligent - it would automatically go to the place where we left off. I'd pay another $100 to have For All The Saints on my Kindle Fire. (Well, maybe $50.)

Weedon

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »
I have used my copies of FATS (horrid acronym) well; but I have definitely moved to Treasury, and most often in the PrayNow app - which, by the bye, CPH made available for Android today.  I love having it on my phone.  This a.m. I did not have time to pray the office before heading out to a heart-cath, and so when it was done (and the person is just fine - Deo gratias!) I whipped out the phone and prayed the office.  Very convenient.  Having FATS in a format like that WOULD be a winner too. 

J. Eriksson

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
ESmith wrote among other things this:
  And have had two sessions of chemo.  But I've never been more at peace with all that is going on around me -

ESmith; may our heavenly Father bless you and pass His healing power through the chemo so it does what it is supposed to do.

Christmas Blessings to all
jamesinjapan
I'm not a pastor.  Please don't call me one.

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 04:35:42 AM »
 I have Pray Now on my iPad 2 and, I presume on my iPhone, which makes praying the Scripture for today  very convenient as I always have my phone with me.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:35:06 AM »
Congrats to CPH for entering the app and Kindle market. But... The price for "Treasury of Daily Prayer" for the Kindle is way too high. It's nearly the cost of a printed book and we Kindlers think we should get a big break by not buying paper, binding, mailing, etc.
I'm not too keen on $8.99 for PrayNow, either. But then I still consider my phone to be 99 percent phone, and not an e-reader.
ALPB honchos, when will you Kindelize "For All the Saints"?