Author Topic: Here's how you should vote  (Read 2819 times)

James_Gale

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Here's how you should vote
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 12:32:54 AM »
They didn't quote, "One toke over the line, sweet Jesus, one toke over the line?"

Gotta laugh....my dear departed aunt Rosemary swore that this was a religious song because it mentioned Jesus and Mary.  Thank you Brewer and Shipley!

Tom

Tom --

Your dear aunt was not alone.  

I was not familiar with this song.  (Some of "you" baby boomers must be REALLY OLD.)  So I did a little internet search.

And I found this lovely rendition on YouTube from -- brace yourself -- the Lawrence Welk Show.  (I don't really remember this show but am familiar with it as the object of humor.)  Watch it till the end and see how Mr. Welk describes it.

Enjoy.

Jim

Going to that site, the date given for the original airing of that particular segment was 1971.  I know it seems impossible at this late date, but it is indeed possible that those singing and Mr. Welk himself did not get the drug reference.  There was a time when a lot of drug references in songs, which we all recognize now, were not recognized as such.  "The world was younger than today. . . ."

And it remained "younger" for some years thereafter.

Do any of you remember this from the Village People?  As I recall, the US Navy gave the Village People free access to one of its ships to make this video.  The plan was to use the song (and video?) as a recruiting tool.  The Navy changed its mind after someone finally explained the song and the band to senior naval officers.

Can you imagine having to explain the song and the band to the oblivious Chief of Naval Operations?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 01:32:16 AM »

And I found this lovely rendition on YouTube from -- brace yourself -- the Lawrence Welk Show.  (I don't really remember this show but am familiar with it as the object of humor.)  Watch it till the end and see how Mr. Welk describes it.

ROTFLMAO!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »

Going to that site, the date given for the original airing of that particular segment was 1971.  I know it seems impossible at this late date, but it is indeed possible that those singing and Mr. Welk himself did not get the drug reference.  There was a time when a lot of drug references in songs, which we all recognize now, were not recognized as such.  "The world was younger than today. . . ."

I'm sure they didn't. But I certainly did.  ;)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Tom Senge

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:21 AM »
They didn't quote, "One toke over the line, sweet Jesus, one toke over the line?"

Gotta laugh....my dear departed aunt Rosemary swore that this was a religious song because it mentioned Jesus and Mary.  Thank you Brewer and Shipley!

Tom

Tom --

Your dear aunt was not alone.  

I was not familiar with this song.  (Some of "you" baby boomers must be REALLY OLD.)  So I did a little internet search.

Enjoy.

Jim

I did see that while channel surfing on RERUNS!!!  OLD, you say?  Lord willing I'll hit 60 big ones if I make the next go around, and I'm still playin' in a pretty kickin' band 8) (Never have tried this song, though....It is afterall a "modern spiritual")   ;D

Marshall_Hahn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
"One vote over the line, sweet Jesus, one vote over the line,
Sittin' downtown in the convention center, one vote over the line..."

FatherWilliam57

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »