Author Topic: University Lutheran Chapel (University of Minnesota) to be sold  (Read 83327 times)

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: University Lutheran Chapel (University of Minnesota) to be sold
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »
Fisk's video is quite good.  The stuff about ULC is the first seven minutes.  Then he goes on to talk about chaplaincy and communion and judgment.  Worldview Everlasting is good thing to watch weekly. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Saint Peter's Lutheran Church
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
Checking young Pr. Fisk's parish assignment in Pa. at lcms.org, his video skills apparently haven't yet translated into any gains in the worshiping assembly, or maybe better have grabbed time away from turning in any of that pesky data.  One never knows when that time spent commenting on goings-on in Minnesota will pay off in Pennsylvania, though. 

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Charles_Austin

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 10:20:41 PM »
I have no mouse in this maze, but was a little uncomfortable when the fast-talking pastor (a former sideshow barker? a side job making infomercials for 3 a.m. TV? "But wait! There's more!") used Luther's hymn to call the district officials "the old evil foe," (and we know who that is). But maybe that's more common among you guys than among the rest of us.  ;D ;D

LCMS87

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I have no mouse in this maze, but was a little uncomfortable when the fast-talking pastor (a former sideshow barker? a side job making infomercials for 3 a.m. TV? "But wait! There's more!") used Luther's hymn to call the district officials "the old evil foe," (and we know who that is). But maybe that's more common among you guys than among the rest of us.  ;D ;D

I believe best construction on the application of that verse of A Mighty Fortress would be that ultimately, behind any and every effort that would keep God's kingdom from coming or his gracious will from being done is the old evil foe. 

Sometimes, sadly, although I have no desire to serve his ends, I can't help but conclude he has used even me.  Thus my fervent prayer that he would break and hinder every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful nature which would prevent his name from being hallowed or his kingdom from coming.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:12:49 PM by LCMS87 »

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
Checking young Pr. Fisk's parish assignment in Pa. at lcms.org, his video skills apparently haven't yet translated into any gains in the worshiping assembly, or maybe better have grabbed time away from turning in any of that pesky data.  One never knows when that time spent commenting on goings-on in Minnesota will pay off in Pennsylvania, though. 

Dave Benke
Gee, I thought we were called to be faithful and spread the Word.   Rev. Fisk does an excellent job of using new media (YouTube) to do just that.  The numbers are up to God, not us.

I am appreciate what Rev. Fisk says in this video.  The actions of the DP and BOD at Minnesota South threaten to destroy an active town and gown ministry that is spreading the Gospel through Word and Sacrament.  Districts are supposed to serve congregations, not destroy them.  That may not be their motives, but that is the result of their actions.   Districts (and Synod) owe their existence to Congregations, not the other way around.
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 09:09:39 AM »
For the unknowing observer, Rev. Fisk takes an approach that is seen by many as hip and edgy.  He does a great job of reaching today's youth especially.  Isn't that what we've tried to do through the years with contemporary worship, coffee shop ministries, etc.?  He's reaching the youth, a demographic we all recognize as one we're losing fast in the Lutheran church.

If we're talking numbers in the world of modern evangelism, the dude has 5 times more Facebook friends than I do, the number of hits on Youtube alone for his videos is quite impressive, and from what I could tell of his blogosphere activities, he is widely read and commented on.  Perhaps the bottoms aren't in the pews at this point in his church (I am not one who puts much emphasis on this statistic as someone who was part of a church that started with only 6--my family), but that doesn't stop us from evangelizing today's world with techniques that actually reach them.  The WWW is pretty much where that's happening for some demographics.  That's why I remain on here, in fact.  Oh, that, and I enjoy the company.  :D

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
That's interesting, Deaconess - I absolutely get that in terms of the reach of the web/youtube, and the etherworld in general.  I'm on this site for the same reason you are, to engage that "world" with the Gospel of hope.  And the edgy Pr. Fisk communicates with beats and vibes that are useful and which I myself use.  This is all good.

What I wonder about is the connection to life on the streets in Pa., that's all.  Because whatever I do here pales dramatically in comparison to hanging out with 100 sets of parents from Brooklyn who come to "Meet/Greet" nite as they did yesterday evening.  The immediacy of the personal touch and the real--life relationship is still at the heart of it as far as I'm concerned. 

There is grounds for dialog there, of course, because it's easier for me to have an online conversation with the Bklyn young people on my Facebook friends list or by text than it is to get them to communicate in person.  Weird (I think) but true.  But as I tell them, to recieve the Body and Blood of Christ at the altar, you have to show up in person.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Weedon

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
There is the appearance of "circle the wagons" when one of our own is under fire.  And I'm not talking about folks defending Fisk - as if he honestly needed ANY defense. 

LutherMan

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 09:42:15 AM »
I get and retain a lot more out of Pr. Fisk's YT messages than I do from sermons given by many seasoned and experienced pastors who graduated sem in the sixties and seventies. 
FWIW...

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
There is the appearance of "circle the wagons" when one of our own is under fire.  And I'm not talking about folks defending Fisk - as if he honestly needed ANY defense. 
I agree with your comment.   So, what would be a better approach?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:53:02 AM by Harry Edmon »

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »
I'm on this site for the same reason you are, to engage that "world" with the Gospel of hope. 

Looking to that post from which this quote is taken as an example, it does seem that your comments nearly always end up talking about you and the impressive things you do, President Benke, and most recently taking shots at young pastors.

Perhaps gospel proclamation is different in Brooklyn. But I do hope that you spend some time with Pr. Fisk, in order to see what his parish ministry is like, before you turn him in to the COP.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
That's interesting, Deaconess - I absolutely get that in terms of the reach of the web/youtube, and the etherworld in general.  I'm on this site for the same reason you are, to engage that "world" with the Gospel of hope.  And the edgy Pr. Fisk communicates with beats and vibes that are useful and which I myself use.  This is all good.

What I wonder about is the connection to life on the streets in Pa., that's all.  Because whatever I do here pales dramatically in comparison to hanging out with 100 sets of parents from Brooklyn who come to "Meet/Greet" nite as they did yesterday evening.  The immediacy of the personal touch and the real--life relationship is still at the heart of it as far as I'm concerned. 

There is grounds for dialog there, of course, because it's easier for me to have an online conversation with the Bklyn young people on my Facebook friends list or by text than it is to get them to communicate in person.  Weird (I think) but true.  But as I tell them, to recieve the Body and Blood of Christ at the altar, you have to show up in person.

Dave Benke
I recommend you read the following:

http://www.phillyministries.org/

Pastor Fisk is the Directory of Mission Development for Philadelphia Lutheran Ministries as well as pastor of St.John Springfield.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Pastor Fisk is the Directory of Mission Development for Philadelphia Lutheran Ministries as well as pastor of St.John Springfield.

That is really cool.  I just spent the early part of this past week in Philadelphia.  It was my first visit.  I've got 8 more such trips, and one will include meeting Pastor Loesch and now maybe visiting this ministry.

I think we all, myself included, should probably not assume someone isn't hitting the street because of what a church's attendance or membership numbers show.  I have been a part of two churches since becoming a church worker that may have been small in numbers, but we were mighty on mercy and outreach.  We focused on loving and serving, and if the numbers grew, great; if not, oh well.  God's measure of success is altogether different than man's.  Any way, may God be with each of us as we serve each other on this forum and others on the wider web and within our churches and communities.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
Cool - more streets to hit in Philly metro!  On the other hand the Phillies are in Philly - a definite downer.  Will have to give Rev. Fisk a shout-out.  Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Weedon

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »
Perhaps even more than a shout out, but an apology for implying on a public board that Pr. Fisk was neglecting his mission???