Author Topic: University Lutheran Chapel (University of Minnesota) to be sold  (Read 77953 times)

A Sasse Waltherian

University Lutheran Chapel (University of Minnesota) to be sold
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:33:43 PM »
Shortly after 5 a.m. on the morning of Wednesday, September 14th, Pastor Kind was informed via email from President Seitz that the Minnesota South District Board of Directors has voted unanimously to sell our Chapel.

Pastor Kind sent the following to the members of ULC:

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

It is with heavy heart that I forward the following email and attachment from President Seitz regarding the sale of University Lutheran Chapel.

Yesterday the Board of Directors voted unanimously to sell our chapel by the end of the year at a price of no less than 3.2 million dollars.

I will be available at the chapel all day on Wednesday should any of you wish to phone or meet with me. We have our first Evening Prayer service of the school year tonight as well. I invite you to join us as we pray the Church's liturgy and in particular for our congregation and students.

May our Lord see us through the days ahead, grant us grace to move forward and to forgive, and may He have mercy on the souls of the leaders of the Minnesota South District.

Your servant in Christ,
Pastor Kind

LutherMan

Re: University Lutheran Chapel (University of Minnesota) to be sold
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
http://ulcmn.org/

MNS must really be hurting for money in that they would sell the home of a thriving and vibrant congregation. 

Weedon

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
Once more we see that our Lord's words were true:  you cannot serve God and mammon. 

LutherMan

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Does MNS own its HQ building?  Couldn't that be sold instead and perhaps office space made available for them at Concordia St. Paul? 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:34:32 PM by LutherMan »

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »
If the facts of how little the ULC cost the MNS District are as Pastor Kind describes in the excellent video presentation
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg-Zk80HKH0&feature=player_embedded,

then this is a very unfortunate reduction of the Christian presence to the Twin Cities campus of the University of Minnesota.

The "up to" $250,000 to be provided from the sale "to help University Lutheran Chapel to buy or lease more cost efficient
facilities that they might continue their campus ministry" seems like an impractical, if not derisory, alternative to the present chapel and its presence. For some churches, sharing facilities and costs with other church bodies' campus ministries might make renting work, but that seems to me to be contrary to the LCMS way of doing things.
http://ulcmn.org/Files/Save%20ULC%20Files/Campus%20Property%20Resolutions%20%289-13-11%29.pdf

I am very sorry to hear of this decision.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
Many people are in shock and utter dismay at this action. I am one of them.

LutherMan

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
There is a pretty lively discussion going on over there.
http://steadfastlutherans.org/

LutherMan

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
ScottG asked before his post vanished:

So what will happen to Pastor Kind?  If they are selling the property will there still be a ULC in another building?  Or is he going to be pushed to take another call?  How is this all factored in?
No one knows.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
I can't stop shaking my head sadly at this news.  The question about Pastor Kind and his position was one thing I hadn't thought of...and that is awful.  This just seems so shortsighted.  And I pray that MNS tried hard to contact Pastor Kind by phone the night before to at least tell him in person what was going to take place. 

Shameful!

Jeremy 
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

LutherMan

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
I think Fr. Kind saw the writing on the wall before all this came down. 

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
This is a bonehead move in about 11 different ways.

I am an alumnus of the U of M. Though I was involved with ELCA campus ministry, we were aware that good things were happening at ULC...they were always bigger and more active than we were. I worshipped with them once and was impressed. The ELCA sold its U of M east bank campus ministry property (jointly held with the Episcopalians) around ten years ago. 

The ULC is in a prime location.

The only question not answered is how much the district has spent in maintenance over the years. There's no way chapel offerings can cover a new roof or furnace.

But still, how can anyone defend this move?

Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Why couldn't the BOD wait until next year's District Convention to get their approval before selling?

This must be the answer - they want the money, and they don't want the sale stopped.   This behavior by the Board is so unChristian.

However, ULC is still trying to raise enough money to buy the property.   Seems impossible, but with God all things are possible.   So we shall see.   I made my contribution this evening.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:03:18 PM by Harry Edmon »
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

Weedon

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
I think you can donate here too:

https://www.eservicepayments.com/cgi-bin/Vanco_ver3.vps?appver3=tYgT1GfNxRUldiimjHMvOfPLlNTQgay0VbJn3lcP4qXo-7YkZiNiYhc46uwjFenmums9tj3wI7okSf0MyMa8ulvOqmuPflpnzg4t1X__C-w=&ver=3

Would it not be wonderful for every evangelical catholic to support the ministry of the premiere evangelical catholic campus ministry of the Synod?  Give as you can, my friends!  They will be blessed; YOU will be blessed.  Imagine that - a campus ministry CENTERED in the preaching of the saving Gospel and the reverent celebration and reception of the Holy Eucharist!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:33:30 PM by Weedon »

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
Why couldn't the BOD wait until next year's District Convention to get their approval before selling?

This must be the answer - they want the money, and they don't want the sale stopped.   

As asked on the other board, "Does MNS so desperately need the money?" If not, your question is very important.

Furthermore, even though MNS holds title to the property, it was to be held to serve the two districts, MNN as well as MNS. Christian courtesy would dictate getting input and at least tacit agreement by MNN before selling.

Moreover, if MNS does not desperately need the money then, given the depressed market climate, is it fiduciarily responsible to sell at this time?

So yes, what's the big hurry?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:08:11 PM by dgkirch »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Revbert

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
Moreover, if MNS does not desperately need the money then, given the depressed market climate, is it fiduciarily responsible to sell at this time?

Precisely my thought as the unaffected-directly outsider.