Author Topic: Introductory business matters  (Read 4044 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Introductory business matters
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
The session began on time, with Bp. Hanson lighting a candle. (Apparently staff cut backs have eliminated acolytes.) The assembly sang “We All Are One in Mission.” The assembly was opened in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

The energy level here is considerably different from that in Minneapolis two years ago.

The assembly includes 1,025 voting members; as of noon, Sec. Swartling reported, 964 have registered.

Bp. Ed Benaway of Florida/Bahamas Synod brought greetings on behalf of the host synod. He noted that Florida has learned to withstand natural disasters like hurricanes and floods, and commented that the ELCA also is a church that can withstand hurricanes.

During the assembly, a series of videos of “how we live Lutheran” will be shown. The first one came from a congregation in Sequin, TX, which apparently is a congregation formed from people who withdrew from a congregation which withdrew from the ELCA. Interesting first example.

The usual instructions about voting machines were made, which revealed that 65% of those voting are here for the first time. Ah, participatory democracy at work.

Then we had extensive and boring lecturing by Bishop Hanson on Rules of Order. This is the kind of thing that might better have been handled in the orientation session, seems to me.

Vote on Rules of Organization, with first a prayer addressed to “Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer.”

Now this was interesting: a voting member pointed out that reconsideration of a Social Statement requires 2/3 vote, but asked if reconsideration of an implementing resolution requires only 50%? Bp. Hanson said that was correct.

Motion to adopt Rules of Organization (with one paragraph, that relating to length of speeches, pulled out) approved 958-29.

Motion to increase two-minute limit on speeches to five minutes, followed by groans. Bp. suggested that rule against applause probably applies to groans as well. Motion defeated 56-937. Rule allotting two minutes approved.

Next the proposed agenda was taken up. There was an effort to draw out the agenda time given for consideration of the “LIFT” proposals. This threw the bishop into a bit of a tizzy because the complex recommendations have an impact on other agenda items (e.g., elections, since the recommendations involved reorganizing some committees etc). Motion defeated.

Order of Business approved, with a couple of minor changes. Assembly sang "The Church of Christ in Every Age" ("beset by change but Spirit led").

The LIFT report was introduced by VP Carlos Pena and Pr. Diane Pederson (chair of the LIFT task force). There was a lot about what a different world we live in. (Different from what?) Electronic media. Distrust of denominations.

The tag-team performance hit all the buzz words: “ecology of the ELCA,” “good time to be the church,” “changing context,” “discern,” “collaborate,” “partnerships,” “new possibilities,” “God’s vision,” “interdependence.” Quoting Bonhoeffer, Chilstrom, Leonard Sweet, all your favorite writers.

Another “Living Lutheran,” then instructions for worship (telling you which station to use if you need non-alcoholic wine or gluten-free bread).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:23:08 PM by Richard Johnson »
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Erma S. Wolf

Re: Introductory business matters
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »
The session began on time, with Bp. Hanson lighting a candle.

I miss gavels. 

Bp. Ed Benaway of Florida/Bahamas Synod brought greetings on behalf of the host synod. He noted that Florida has learned to withstand natural disasters like hurricanes and floods, and commented that the ELCA also is a church that can withstand hurricanes.

:o, , , , , , ;

Scott6

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »
Was I the only one who noticed in that last "Living Lutheran" segment the slippage between "Living Lutheran" and being "a living Lutheran"?

It made me  :)

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
During the assembly, a series of videos of “how we live Lutheran” will be shown. The first one came from a congregation in Seguin, TX, which apparently is a congregation formed from people who withdrew from a congregation which withdrew from the ELCA. Interesting first example.
Interesting example, indeed. Seguin had two sizable ELCA congregations, Emmanuel and Faith. Faith recently withdrew to the LCMC, while Emmanuel remains in the ELCA.  Seguin is not a large town, but Texas Lutheran University (my undergrad alma mater) plays a large role in the community and additionally hosts the HQ of the Southwestern Texas Synod. Rather than just move over to the remaining ELCA congregation which is closer to the college, the dissidents from Faith elected to start a separate congregation. I don't know all the backstories involved, but as a former Seguin resident I do find the situation a bit curious.

Kurt (TLC 1980)
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Kurt,

The founding (and Senior. Pastor) Lange, died suddenly. The congregation was progressing through an informational period concerning discernment at that point, resulting in their departure from the ELCA and initial affiliation with LCMC. The associate Pastor then resigned and took some of the congregation with him to form the "new" parish. He was a first call sem grad from Trinity written up in their most recent alumni magazine, in a somewhat fair but clearly "party line" article. Faith continues to worship 250+ while they seek a new Senior Pastor.

Pr. Tim Christ, STS

PS... Maybe (I say "maybe"!) the Texans will amount to something this year!
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
Kurt,

The founding (and Senior. Pastor) Lange, died suddenly. The congregation was progressing through an informational period concerning discernment at that point, resulting in their departure from the ELCA and initial affiliation with LCMC. The associate Pastor then resigned and took some of the congregation with him to form the "new" parish. He was a first call sem grad from Trinity written up in their most recent alumni magazine, in a somewhat fair but clearly "party line" article. Faith continues to worship 250+ while they seek a new Senior Pastor.

Pr. Tim Christ, STS

PS... Maybe (I say "maybe"!) the Texans will amount to something this year!
I knew about Pr Lange, who served that congregation back when I was in Seguin if I recollect correctly. Terrible blow to a congregation when their pastor suddenly dies; my father passed away when he was serving Advent/Doraville GA, so I have nothing but compassion for what they have endured. I guess it was doubly sad to have lost him while the ELCA is in such turmoil. 

But as an outsider, I guess I still don't understand why dissident Faith members didn't just go the extra 2-3 miles to Emmanuel, an established ELCA congregation which is not seriously entertaining leaving the ELCA (at least Dr Oestreich told me as much last year at the Texas District LCMC convention). From a purely organizational point of view, it seems like a better use of resources to join up with the exisiting nearby ELCA congregation than to start another much smaller ELCA congregation.  And I don't quite understand why this group was featured the first day of the CWA, to boot.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:44:00 PM by Kurt Weinelt »
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Kurt,

I don't have an answer to that speculation vis-a-vis Emmanuel's, which also seems plausible to me, except to speculate concerning the ongoing dynamics as they do or do not relate to Emmanuel's of the Associate Pastor together with those who had formed around his leadership.

Small towns with multiple parishes of the same brand are interesting "Peyton Place" type of parish settings, to say the least. Having served in the Brenham area (14 Lutheran Churches either in Washington County or with a Brenham mailing address; and now 15 with a new mission start that will either be NALC or LCMC) taught me that such small town dynamics and parish loyalties are often more powerful than any other force in the lives of the rank and file, and sadly that includes Sacred Scripture, Lutheran Confessions and the stewarding of the mission with which we've been entrusted.

Tim
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

George Erdner

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
The session began on time, with Bp. Hanson lighting a candle.

I miss gavels. 

They are very difficult to keep lit.

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
One inaccuracy to expect in the ELCA Press Releases: 

They will talk of the convention being in Orlando, Florida.  In my opinion (as a native) the meeting is really in Kissimmee, the erstwhile "Cow Capitol of Florida" and home of the Silver Spurs Rodeo.   ;D
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Charles_Austin

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
The food here is good. And the table conversations sprightly and interesting, with pastors and lay people laughing and sharing what's going on in their congregations and synods.

aberaussie

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Cognitively Dissonant
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »

They will talk of the convention being in Orlando, Florida.  In my opinion (as a native) the meeting is really in Kissimmee, the erstwhile "Cow Capitol of Florida" and home of the Silver Spurs Rodeo.   ;D

We attended the Rodeo this year.  Great fun!
Katie Abercrombie
Katie Abercrombie

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »

There is some very bad karma in Kissimmee...it's where the hapless Houston Astros (aka "Lastros") train! :P
Kurt (a perpetually disappointed Astros fan)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:30:38 PM by Kurt Weinelt »

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
Kurt, you'll always have JR Richard.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »

There is some very bad karma in Kissimmee...it's where the hapless Houston Astros (aka "Lastros") train! :P
Kurt (a perpetually disappointed Astros fan)

[snicker] Kissimmee Astros [/snicker]

- Steve (a perpetual 14-year-old boy)

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
It's pronounced Keh-SIM-ee >:(
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?