Author Topic: Slow start  (Read 4236 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Slow start
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
Things in Orlando are starting slow. There's an orientation going on right now, but I couldn't get in because the dang media office isn't open yet, and I was told earlier there was a "problem" with the media badges and they weren't available yet. Normally there's a press conference with his eminence prior to the start, but I've heard nothing about it this time, and there's no one to ask. This would not have happened under John Brooks, who left as ELCA communications director a few weeks ago to take a job at North Park University. I understand he is VERY happy with the change. The communications office is scaled way back; I was told they only plan four press releases this week (I guess that means one a day), whereas in the past they've issued at least that many a day.

Chatted briefly with Charles Austin, who already has his media badge. I think it's because he's working for the house organ.  ;)

Goodsoil is already visible, handing out their regular slickly-produced "devotional booklet." The focus is on bullying, or, I guess I'm supposed to say, "anti-bullying"--which, of course, is the big (yawn) "cause" this year with dozens of synods bravely passing the model resolution promoted by goodsoil and friends.

I'm always astonished at CWA how easy it is to pick out bishops. They don't all dress alike (though I've seen more purple shirts this year than usual), but there is something about their bearing that screams "bishop!" It's sort of a game; I spot one that I think is a bishop, then take a look at his or her name tag, and I'm usually right.

Apparently Augsburg still thinks it worthwhile to bring their wares to churchwide, even though they've cut synod assemblies loose. But the store this year is way scaled back, it appears to me, and really emphasizes "church supplies" (curricula, mostly). The section of "books" is meager and unimpressive. I really think CPH should seek vending space here next time.  ;)

I had a chat with Jeff Thiemann, who is the about-to-be head of the ELCA Board of Pensions. He says he's in "sponge mode" right now, trying to learn as much as he can. I've known Jeff for years; had him as a student when I taught at PLTS.

I did observe that President Matt Harrison is not among the "ecumenical guests" on the list; apparently 1st VP Mueller is here instead. I wonder what that means? And I'm disappointed; I think Harrison would have been a very interesting "guest."

Well, not much else to report. Until I get my media badge, I'm just hanging out in the lobby.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:32:38 AM by Richard Johnson »
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:49 AM »
You should have bullied your way into the orientation and then, once in, said you were doing it as a devotional object lesson. Or you could have done because the pro-bullying faction was an under-represented minority for whom you were standing in solidarity, though personally opposed to bullying yourself, of course.

Erma S. Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
   Richard, I did wonder about John Brooks leaving so soon before the CWA.  Maybe this is Higgins Road's way of keeping any reaction from the "out-state" of the ELCA on CWA actions from getting much traction.  "Press releases?  You wanted press releases?  Media badges?  Why?  Nothing to see here; move along, move along.  Ooh, look, a hidden Mickey!"  ;)

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
Apparently Augsburg still thinks it worthwhile to bring their wares to churchwide, even though they've cut synod assemblies loose. But the store this year is way scaled back, it appears to me, and really emphasizes "church supplies" (curricula, mostly). The section of "books" is meager and unimpressive. I really think CPH should seek vending space here next time.  ;)

The CWA I've attended, the vending space was limited to ELCA-related agencies -- which surprised my Episcopal roommate one year. Their national assemblies rents out space to all sorts of venders.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

PTMcCain

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
CPH would be happy to exhibit at the ELCA CWA.

revklak

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »

To exhibit what?   ;)

Oh, wait, I was confused with being an exhibitionist!  My bad!!    ;)

PTMcCain

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
I think our resources would be shocking to some at the ELCA CWA.

;)

Don Whitbeck

• Don, St Pauls Lutheran Church, Royal Oak, Mi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »

Most likely only those approved publications, by the ELCA.  Nothing to upset their way of Lutheran Theology, or anything going aganist Homosexuality or gay ordination.

I don't see how the two are compatible anymore.

It will be interesting to see if Vp Mueller will be given a speech on new acceptable relations between LCMS and ELCA.
The Voice of God will NEVER Contradict the Word of God

Scott6

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
It's too bad that Pres. Harrison couldn't make it.  I'd have loved to hear what he had to say.

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
Yes, President Harrison not being there is one less thing for which to wait with eager anticipation.

Where's the drama going to be? Maybe a clone has managed to become a voting member and will come out of the closet during the genetics debate! BWAHAHAHAHA. (I crack myself up sometimes).

Our ALPB correspondent is going to have to dig for interesting dispatches from the front.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:04:54 PM by racin_jason »
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
You should have bullied your way into the orientation and then, once in, said you were doing it as a devotional object lesson. Or you could have done because the pro-bullying faction was an under-represented minority for whom you were standing in solidarity, though personally opposed to bullying yourself, of course.

Well, you have to understand, I really had no desire to go to the orientation. I typically find such things quite disorienting.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »
   Richard, I did wonder about John Brooks leaving so soon before the CWA.  Maybe this is Higgins Road's way of keeping any reaction from the "out-state" of the ELCA on CWA actions from getting much traction.  "Press releases?  You wanted press releases?  Media badges?  Why?  Nothing to see here; move along, move along.  Ooh, look, a hidden Mickey!"  ;)

Actually there are VERY few people with media credentials this year. I think maybe four or five, including those with The Lutheran.

PTMcCain

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
I do not think Harrison has much to say beyond what he has already said to Hanson et al. personally and beyond what he has said in public statements.

I rather think it is good for him simply to have sent a representative.

I also think he is on vacation, and I think there was no good reason to interrupt a perfectly fine vacation to go to an ELCA CWA.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:09:38 PM by PTMcCain »

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
I think our resources would be shocking to some at the ELCA CWA.

;)

You can say that again!

Scott6

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
I do not think Harrison has much to say beyond what he has already said already to Hanson et al.

Yet it would still be good to say publicly, directly in front of the ELCA's CWA; such things make history.

Though the vacation thing is a good point.