Author Topic: CORE/NALC  (Read 4346 times)

PTMcCain

CORE/NALC
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »
Is there live coverage by an ALPB person at the Core assembly going on now?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Re: CORE/NALC
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »

Pr. Tibbetts is covering for us; I left it up to him, and to the circumstances, as to whether he wanted to blog live or just write a report afterward.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Paul O Malley

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »

This seems to be a link to it.

http://www.thenalc.org/the-nalc-convocation-video-wide.htm
Paul O'Malley - NALC layman
Supporting the observance of Central Time across Indiana since 1967.

Erma S. Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
I hope some here have taken advantage of the live internet feed of the Lutheran CORE theological conference to listen to the Rev. Dr. Sarah Hinlicky Wilson's presentation this evening.  It was absolutely stunning.  I particularly appreciated her response to a comment/question following her paper, in which she spoke to her own continued membership in the ELCA and called for those present to pray for all those who work at the ELCA offices on Higgins Road. 

Plus, she gave a teaser about her own commitment to the Book of Concord:  it is in the next issue of "Lutheran Forum" magazine, so subscribe already!  :)

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
I was privileged to be an observor at the CORE meeting in Indianapolis in 2009. My father's long-time Bishop Sauer was there as you know. Hearing him speak clarified for me why my father thinks so highly of him.

I have not been able to listen in on the 2011 meetings except for a minute or two. I would have driven over but my wife has gone back to work so I am doing the "Mr. Mom" thing with Caleb. At 8 years old, he is not everly interested in these things.

gcnuss

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »
I hope some here have taken advantage of the live internet feed of the Lutheran CORE theological conference to listen to the Rev. Dr. Sarah Hinlicky Wilson's presentation this evening.  It was absolutely stunning.  I particularly appreciated her response to a comment/question following her paper, in which she spoke to her own continued membership in the ELCA and called for those present to pray for all those who work at the ELCA offices on Higgins Road. 

Plus, she gave a teaser about her own commitment to the Book of Concord:  it is in the next issue of "Lutheran Forum" magazine, so subscribe already!  :)

I was there and I agree.

Gary C. Nuss, STS

Rev. Kevin Scheuller

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:03:06 AM »
It's hard out here for Hoseas.

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:28 AM »

I was there and I agree.

Gary C. Nuss, STS

I thanked her afterward for (1) being the editor, (2) her paper, and (3) most of all for her answer to the question "what am I to do when I've been wronged?"

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Chuck Sampson

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »

I too was VERY impressed with her presentation.    Will DVD's be available?

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »

According to Mark Chavez the papers will be published by ALPB and sold as a book + DVD package.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Erma S. Wolf

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »

According to Mark Chavez the papers will be published by ALPB and sold as a book + DVD package.

I am very glad to hear this.  I was not able to listen to very much of the conference due to other pressing matters during the day.  I will look forward to the publication of the papers along with the added wealth of the DVD of the in person presentations.

One of the added pleasures of listening to the Rev. Dr. Hinlicky Wilson was that following her presentation the evening ended with the service of Compline (LBW).  It was wonderful to be able to pray with those at the conference, join in the hymns and listen to the brief reading from Scripture with others, connected by the internet.  Causes me to have to re-think the place of technology in worship, not as an intrusion but as an inclusion of others separated by distance. 

Paul L. Knudson

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »
I also was very impressed with Sarah Hinlicky Wilson's presentation.  It is so great that we have theologians in her generation that are so outstanding.  Her three case studies that lifted up connections between Lutherans and Pentecostals, Lutherans and Reformed, and Lutherans and Mennonites were very enlightening.  It reminded me that staying in our Lutheran enclaves without ongoing conversations and in depth interaction with various traditions is hurting the Body of Christ.

This morning the representatives of the Anglicans, PCUSA, and Lutherans (Nestingen) added to Sarah's presentation.  All three were excellent.  The PCUSA representative spoke eloquently of the need for us to resist circling the wagons in too small circles of orthodox believers.  1,900 orthodox representatives of the PCUSA are meeting in Minneapolis in the next week or so to consider their next steps.  He indicated that many of them have no idea that Lutheran CORE just held this gathering and do not know about brothers and sisters in the orthodox camps of each of the above traditions.  Most of us probably have had no idea about the PCUSA meeting.  I was so impressed with our need not to stereotype our compatriots in these various traditions.

I was also struck by the fact that probably up to one third of the participants at the Theological Conference were still in the ELCA.  You can see that in various ways.  To me it said that leaders in the ELCA may well need to deal with the fact that this whole sorting out business is not yet complete.

Pastor Buba of NALC indicated that NALC has 50 mission congregations.  This probably means breakaway groups forming new churches.  I missed it, but I heard that he had another inspiring presentation at the Lutheran CORE convocation on Tuesday.  I was told there were about 400 for that, 600 for the Theological conference, and they were expecting 800 (I believe) for the NALC convention.  It was a great theological conference in many ways.  I do not believe we would have ended up in the mess we are in if such theological reflections had been wide spread in the ELCA in countless settings.  I reiterate that I find it difficult to find at Luther Seminary a continuing event that is focused on Biblical, historical, or systematic theology.  It is rather a myriad of offerings n how to do ministry more effectively.  We need this, but we need solid theology a lot more.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:25:15 AM »
Latest news is that the Rev. John Bradosky, who has been serving as General Secretary of NALC, has been elected bishop on the first ballot with 52% of the vote. Not "publicly announced" yet, but it is accurate. I invite your prayers for him in his new calling.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Rev. Kevin Scheuller

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:17 AM »
I saw Rev. Bradosky speak a few months ago in Waupaca and was impressed.  I especially liked his answer to my question about the NALC and its plan for its own health coverage.  They do intend to be plain about NOT covering elective abortions in their health plan.  He also pointed out that not covering elective abortions means lower premiums overall due to the risks in any abortion.  He and the NALC have my prayers.

Team Hesse

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:03 AM »
but we need solid theology a lot more.

I must second this statement with reservation. I was only able to attend Wednesday, so my hearing of the presentations is limited, but in some ways this was still pretty thin soup to my taste. It seemed at times to be more of a pep rally for particular agendas or approaches to problems most of which I could agree with (Dr. Benne's presentation for instance ) but the theology underlying the presentations was more assumed than proclaimed. I'm not sure that is the correct move.
 Of course, I am spoiled, having spent the previous week with Dr Wenthe at Flathead in Montana digging "small s" sacraments out of the Old Testament and having spent most of a week in June at Mt Carmel in the book of Romans with Dr Steve Paulson.
A "full-meal-deal" of actually digging in scripture is simply more wholesome than agendas and ministry goals and opportunities whether of a liberal or traditionalist bent.

I enjoyed reconnecting with old friends and making some new ones. NALC is a considerable improvement from the ELCA, but what do I know....

Lou