Author Topic: CORE/NALC  (Read 4355 times)

Team Hesse

Re: CORE/NALC
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
continuity of terminology with the language of Scripture and that of the Fathers is itself an essential element; it is improper simply to manipulate language.

And what is the connect and disconnect between language of scripture and continuity of language with the same?   Harvey Mozolak.
Continuity lies in the eyes (or ears) of  the beholder? The Papal office doesn't seem to have a particularly good track record in these matters except in their own mind.....

Lou

revklak

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
I understand your terminal anti-papal stance--- but beyond that, I like the position that not only do words MEAN something, but that one cannot simply manipulate and adjust them according to current whims.... IF they are being used (intentionally or unintentionally) in ways that allows for improper "adjustments", teachings, furthering of agendas, then is it better to become exact (dogmatic even) than to let ambiguities wide enough exist to drive even 'herchurch' through? (just as AN example)

Team Hesse

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
but beyond that, I like the position that not only do words MEAN something, but that one cannot simply manipulate and adjust them according to current whims.... IF they are being used (intentionally or unintentionally) in ways that allows for improper "adjustments", teachings, furthering of agendas, then is it better to become exact (dogmatic even) than to let ambiguities wide enough exist to drive even 'herchurch' through? (just as AN example)

Do you really mean to imply that any human agency is free of that which you decry?

Lou

revklak

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »
but beyond that, I like the position that not only do words MEAN something, but that one cannot simply manipulate and adjust them according to current whims.... IF they are being used (intentionally or unintentionally) in ways that allows for improper "adjustments", teachings, furthering of agendas, then is it better to become exact (dogmatic even) than to let ambiguities wide enough exist to drive even 'herchurch' through? (just as AN example)

Do you really mean to imply that any human agency is free of that which you decry?

Lou

Not any HUMAN agency, but there are certainly some that by Christ's guidance and the Holy Spirit's protection can and does at times (a great many times, though of course not always) remain free of it and actually teaches us what God wants us to know. 

The whole sacramental system of Lutheranism is based upon it - it doesn't matter the moral quality or standing of the priest in teaching or administering sacraments, because it is Christ who is actually doing this THROUGH the priest - and therefore the sacrements are valid and there is some respect shown to the office .... seems convenient to me that it will work for a 'simple' priest like Luther (so that it doesn't matter WHAT his oppenents or even parishioners might think of him) but not for a priest of more authority such as the bishop of Rome.

Team Hesse

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
I am not going to derail this thread any further with discussion about the helpfulness of the Roman Church's confession and practice other than to say that discussions with missionaries in Latin America within the last two weeks have only reinforced my concerns that Roman practice in much of the world is more of a problem than a help and we do well to distance ourselves from their practice of the Christian faith.

Lou

revklak

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
I am not going to derail this thread any further with discussion about the helpfulness of the Roman Church's confession and practice other than to say that discussions with missionaries in Latin America within the last two weeks have only reinforced my concerns that Roman practice in much of the world is more of a problem than a help and we do well to distance ourselves from their practice of the Christian faith.

Lou

Thank you -- if you recall, I didn't want to go there, just saying the quote was interesting in context of this thread. 

I'm just posting this as food for thought for OUR debate about language.. not to start a discussion of RC understandings and interpretations about Mary.  (Though that would be fun and timely considering today is the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, so I assume some of y'all have opinions....)

George Erdner

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »

Lou

Thank you -- if you recall, I didn't want to go there, just saying the quote was interesting in context of this thread. 

I'm just posting this as food for thought for OUR debate about language.. not to start a discussion of RC understandings and interpretations about Mary.  (Though that would be fun and timely considering today is the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, so I assume some of y'all have opinions....)

This would be very much on-topic in the thread about an apology for Evangelical Catholic.

Team Hesse

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »

Lou

This would be very much on-topic in the thread about an apology for Evangelical Catholic.

My understanding of that thread is that those involved wish to make a positive case for closer ties to Rome if not actual reunion with same. That is not a program I am comfortable with for a number of reasons, so I have abstained from that thread.

Lou

George Erdner

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
My understanding of that thread is that those involved wish to make a positive case for closer ties to Rome if not actual reunion with same. That is not a program I am comfortable with for a number of reasons, so I have abstained from that thread.

Lou

Had you not abstained and had instead read the posts in it, you would see that it is not only about closer ties to Rome.

Norman Sulaica, Jr.

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
I hope some here have taken advantage of the live internet feed of the Lutheran CORE theological conference to listen to the Rev. Dr. Sarah Hinlicky Wilson's presentation this evening.  It was absolutely stunning.  I particularly appreciated her response to a comment/question following her paper, in which she spoke to her own continued membership in the ELCA and called for those present to pray for all those who work at the ELCA offices on Higgins Road. 

Plus, she gave a teaser about her own commitment to the Book of Concord:  it is in the next issue of "Lutheran Forum" magazine, so subscribe already!  :)

I truly enjoyed the week with CORE, Theo. Conf., and the NALC Convo.  I enjoyed Dr. Wilson's presentation.  Her last segment on Real Presences was a joy.  I would have enjoyed the presentation more if she would have dfocused more on this segmentt.

I was there and I agree.

Gary C. Nuss, STS

I thanked her afterward for (1) being the editor, (2) her paper, and (3) most of all for her answer to the question "what am I to do when I've been wronged?"

Mike Bennett

Team Hesse

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »

Lou

Had you not abstained and had instead read the posts in it, you would see that it is not only about closer ties to Rome.
The launch post in that thread asked that the discussion be limited to those who were sympathetic to the concept of Evangelical Catholicism. I have tried to respect requests of that nature. I also read nearly all posts in all threads but have relatively less free time than some so my responses tend to be more limited. Finally started wheat harvest today.

Lou

George Erdner

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:12 AM »
The launch post in that thread asked that the discussion be limited to those who were sympathetic to the concept of Evangelical Catholicism. I have tried to respect requests of that nature. I also read nearly all posts in all threads but have relatively less free time than some so my responses tend to be more limited. Finally started wheat harvest today.

Lou

The next thread that sticks to what is written in the launch post will be the first. And, given that the topic of the thread was an attempt to actually define Evangelical Catholicism, it turns out that there are some who call themselves "Evangelical Catholics" who do not seek any sort of return to Rome, but who would rather see Rome come to Wittenberg.