Author Topic: That was then, This is now  (Read 1798 times)

DCharlton

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: That was then, This is now
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »
Brian,

No you did not criticize the Commander in Chief. Just like you are not a terrorist sympathizer or a traitor, neither have you questioned the Commander in Chief.   The point is that back in 2003-04 I and many others who dissented from administration policy or were sceptical about the war in Iraq in any way were accused of those very things.    It didn't matter whether we were terrorist sympathizers, traitors, or guilty of "critizing the Commander in Chief in a time of war".  Those labels were thrown around indiscriminately. 

Furthermore, you engaged in hyperbole by saying there would be riots in the street.  It surprises me then won't allow me to be similarly hyperbolic in my response.  And when you made that comment, you were not criticizing the ELCA(unless you can show that the ELCA called for Bush's impeachment or organized riots in the street), but making a general statement about liberal hypocrisy.  So I think that a reminder about conservative hypocrisy is fair. 

Finally, it may be true that the Baptist church you attend in Minnesota is not partisan.  However, down here in the south it would be a rare Baptist church that wasn't partisan.   (I often tell people down here that Lutherans are the Baptists of the Midwest.)   I've mentioned before that at my father's conservative evangelical church the assumption is that everyone is a Republican.  One of the things that concerns me about the direction that the ELCA is taking is that it is trying to gain to the same kind of political clout that the Southern Baptist Convention and other conservative denominations exercised in the 1980s.  My PB seems to want to be the new Jerry Falwell.

David Charlton
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:12:47 AM by DCharlton »
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
Your perspective is much appreciated.  I have not experienced living in the South and appreciate your observations.  The situation you describe in southern Baptist churches does appear to be analagous to what is happening in the ELCA (see Richard Johnson's reportings about the PB's remarks yesterday).

My hyperbole about riots might not be the stretch you think it is.  I worked a year at the Minneapolis Federal Courthouse just before the Iraq invasion.  No less than 3 times in that year did I see loud, raucous marches through the middle of downtown Minneapolis that invariably stopped at our building.  While they were mild in comparison to the recent English riots I still would not leave the building at the front door while they were out there and they certainly left a bit of vandalism.   

Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I appreciate your willingness to hear my side of things.  And I don't doubt your accounts of either the treatment you have received in a leftist ELCA congregation nor of the march you describe above.

David
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?