Author Topic: An appeal for an Apology for Evangelical Catholicism  (Read 7817 times)

lucan

An appeal for an Apology for Evangelical Catholicism
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »
I'm not sure how much response I'll get for this topic since it avoids (I hope) discussing ELCA, sexuality, etc...., but I wish to discuss the following:

(1) Are there any accessible, somewhat concise and convincing writings that may serve as an "Apology for Evangelical Catholicism"? 

As a convert to Evangelical Catholicism I believe such a document is needed, and if one already exists needs to be more vigorously promoted by those of us who are at least friendly or leaning toward evangelical catholicism.  I have found it to be an extremely compelling and faithful alternative to both the often shallow and sectarian Amero-Evangelicalism, and the increasingly flimsy and thoroughly uninteresting theology of Liberal Protestantism.  How many Seminarians would benefit from reading such a document as an alternative to much of what they are being taught (in ELCA seminaries), and how many of our laity would benefit from reading and studying an accessible document that articulates Lutheranism as more than just those who believe in "Justification by faith".

(2) If there are no such documents in existence, how could we begin to create and disseminate one?

Oh, and I'd ask for responses to be limited to those who at least are sympathetic towards Evangelical Catholicism.  Sorry to be so non-inclusive, but I hope for a helpful dialogue among sympathetic thinkers.

Rev. Luke Seamon, STS

Rev. Kevin Scheuller

Re: An appeal for an Apology for Evangelical Catholicism
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
What would probably be good as a primer for dealing with Evangelicals:

http://www.cph.org/p-18153-the-lutheran-difference.aspx

Edited by ALPB forum blog contributer, Rev. Edward A. Engelbrecht, STM

Check out the video on the page, he and Rev. McCain are in it.

George Erdner

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Before one can find a justification or defense for Evangelism Catholicism, shouldn't one first present a clear definition of what you mean by that term? There was a thread in here some time back that discussed what people meant by the term "Evangelical Catholic", and there were almost as many different definitions for what the term meant as there were individuals presenting their operative definitions.

lucan

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
Mr. Erdner,

That is precisely what I am asking for here: a compelling explanation of the faith as evangelical and catholic.

I could give you my ideas, but I prefer to lean upon those more skilled and knowledgeable than I.

Rev. Luke

Revbert

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:51 PM »
What would probably be good as a primer for dealing with Evangelicals:

http://www.cph.org/p-18153-the-lutheran-difference.aspx

Edited by ALPB forum blog contributer, Rev. Edward A. Engelbrecht, STM

Check out the video on the page, he and Rev. McCain are in it.

Kevin, I don't think that is what Lucan is seeking here.  Art

lucan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »
True, though that looks like a very interesting book.  It looks also more like an apology for being LCMS, or Gnesio-Lutheran, which I'm certainly not against.

Rev. Luke

Weedon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »
Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but ay be helpful:

societyofsaintpolycarp.blogspot.com/2006/08/rule-of-society-of-st-polycarp.html

lucan

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
Thanks for the input.

As the Rule of a Society it is more of a statement of beliefs than an apology for those beliefs.  Together with the Rule of the Society of the Holy Trinity, it serves as an attempt to define pastoral piety and practice in the spirit of evangelical catholicity.

It would be helpful, though, to find something with a broader scope.

Scott6

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
Thanks for the input.

As the Rule of a Society it is more of a statement of beliefs than an apology for those beliefs.  Together with the Rule of the Society of the Holy Trinity, it serves as an attempt to define pastoral piety and practice in the spirit of evangelical catholicity.

It would be helpful, though, to find something with a broader scope.

FWIW, I don't know much of anything that explicitly provides an apology for evangelical catholicity (maybe I haven't read enough).

Though I'd love to point you to the AC and Ap as examples 1 and 2, but I'm relatively sure that you're quite familiar with them.

Jay

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
Have you read Frank Senn's "Lutheran Identity:  A Classical Understanding"?

http://www.amazon.com/Lutheran-Identity-Classical-Understanding-Voices/dp/0806680105/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307659624&sr=1-3

I wouldn't necessarily call it an apologetic work but I think it fits your criteria.

James Gustafson

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
If we're looking for a more general apology/defense/explanation of why a modern Christian should re-evaluate Evangelical Catholicism, I would suggest The Genius of Luther's Theology, (A Wittenberg Way of Thinking for the Contemporary Church, by Robert Kolb and Charles P. Arand.  I present myself as evidence that it can be useful for explaining to Christians why Evangelical Catholicism and specifically orthodox Lutheranism is a better way of comprehending Christ and salvation, the Sacraments and the gift of absolution.

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
How about The Spirituality of the Cross by Gene Edward Veith.  It is part an account of his own spiritual journey across the various spiritual alternatives in America, and part a discription of how Lutheran theology and practice fits into Christianity.

Of course there is also, Walther's Law & Gospel a couple of editions available.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

David Garner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
How about The Spirituality of the Cross by Gene Edward Veith.  It is part an account of his own spiritual journey across the various spiritual alternatives in America, and part a discription of how Lutheran theology and practice fits into Christianity.

For a lay inquirer to Lutheranism, I think Spirituality of the Cross is the finest work there is.  We read it when we converted, and I still have it on my bookshelf today.  Very, very good work by Dr. Veith.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Weedon

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
Certainly the man who towers in Evangelical Catholicism is A. C. Piepkorn - and I do believe that the volume *The Church* offers a very great apologia, most especially in his article on the Symbols and the Sacred Ministry - with its two outstanding appendices.  Much of the critique of Lutheranism offered from the Roman and Orthodox camps centers around the illegitimacy of our ministry in their opinion.  Piepkorn is amazing in blowing that critique out of the water. 

Krauth's *Conservative Reformation* is an apologia of another sort - and is most useful for pointing out that if there is a "Lutheran high churchism" it is manifestly different from that found in other bodies in the way it extols external ceremonies and such as fitting and appropriate without making them in anyway of the essence of the Church's inner life. 

pr dtp

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »
Personally the Large Cathechism is far easier to use as an introduction.  Those I have had read it are far more appreciative of it than Veith, which is far easier to dismiss as a subjective journey.