Author Topic: An appeal for an Apology for Evangelical Catholicism  (Read 7537 times)

George Erdner

Re: An appeal for an Apology for Evangelical Catholicism
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
George,

I think I didn't say that well.  What I meant was that evangelical catholics are convinced that this is Lutheranism as it OUGHT TO BE and therefore we seek to encourage others to share this way of living out the faith with us - it is the way we find our life described in the Book of Concord, and thus we believe a vision and life that is the birthright of every Lutheran.  Evangelical catholics know well enough that not every Lutheran shares this vision, but we believe with all our heart that they should - and we'll try to demonstrate to them why we think that.

Erma and Lucan,

Thanks for the input.

This post got trashed by a system glitch. I do not dispute that you and many other Lutherans who call themselves Evangelical Catholics think all Lutherans should be. I also submit that the Lutherans who are part of the Ablaze! movement contend that their view of Lutheran Christians is how they believe in all their hearts Lutherans should be. No doubt all the Lutherans who see Lutheran Christians as mainstream Protestants think all Lutheran Christians should be as they perceive things. And the Lutherans in the ELCA probably think all Lutherans should be as widely diverse and "all things to all people" as they think Lutherans should be, as they exercise their curious philosophy of dogmatic enforcement of their policy of no dogma.

As for whether or not all the Lutherans who call themselves Evangelical Catholic subscribe to the Weedon Definition, I don't know for sure, but I suspect that many don't. I'm sure that those who agree will chime in and state their agreement. I suspect that some of those who disagree will not chime in, but will keep their disagrement to themselves, pondering it in their own hearts.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:30:34 PM by George Erdner »

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
I find Fr. Weedon's list to be an accurate description of my living out of my service to the Church.  Addressing the comments about loving everything about Rome, I and others have outlined that we are Lutheran Evangelical Catholics by choice.  I came from Rome to Lutheranism, as has been outlined elsewhere either here or in the paper "Lutheran Forum" some time ago.

While we have the Mass in our LSB, HOW one celebrates the Liturgy is often a sign of Evangelical Catholicity: not only vestments, but reverence, bringing in those things which are consistent with our Lutheran understanding of the Mass but not necessarily used by everyone, everywhere like genuflection after the consecration, the use of Eucharistic Prayers which contain the Words of Institution.  I think it would be hard to be EC and low-church, as usually understood.  However, after seeing videos of some of the Divine Services in the LCMS, I think I am low-church!

While George will continue to be contrary, and Pr. Mc Cain will challenge every point, as he is wont to do, I do believe we have defined Evangelical Catholic Lutheranism very well here thus far.

PTMcCain

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
Dave, I find it curious that you think I will "challenge every point" on this subject. I would be able to agree with Pr. Weedon's laundry list, but...I would ask you...how do you regard women's ordination as fitting in the definition of evangelical catholic?

lucan

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2011, 04:48:37 PM »
Pr. McCain, I don't believe I read Dave defending women's ordination as evangelical catholic, but I will let him speak for himself.

As the one who began this thread I again implore you to start a new thread on the issue of women's ordination.  This thread deals with material that will help define what EC might look like, not with contentious issues that have a life of their own.

PTMcCain

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
Lucan, I'm not saying he is, I'm just asking where this issue fits in his understanding of what it is to be evangelical catholic. I think that this is in fact very germane to the topic of what EC might look like. Is the ordination of women part of what EC looks like? I don't really understand the import of your comment, "not with contentious issues that have a life of their own."

vicarbob

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
I agree with Pr Weedon's offering on EC's.
As for EC's coming from the ALC, perhaps, but I was RC.  EC's are more Catholic then Protestant, yet are keenly aware and confess, that the Church of the Augsburg Confession stands as a reforming movement within the OHCA Church.

Many times High Church vs Low Church, attempts to pit style against substance and both have the same Substance, expressed by differing styles.

Padre, hang in there brother...God upholds His faithful pastors and calms the storms that can and do confront and toss us about!
 Maybe, just maybe, you are suffering the withdrawals from properly made kilbasi and perogies.......causes stress to the entire being, and "we" know what a heavenly feast I have just described  ;)

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »

Padre, hang in there brother...God upholds His faithful pastors and calms the storms that can and do confront and toss us about!
 Maybe, just maybe, you are suffering the withdrawals from properly made kilbasi and perogies.......causes stress to the entire being, and "we" know what a heavenly feast I have just described  ;)

Indeed, dear brother....and even in Silesia, we sure did eat good!  Heavenly feast....yeah, pretty close at times...especially the begos!

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »

Is it possible to be "evangelical catholic" and "low church" at the same time?

Yes.
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

George Erdner

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2011, 12:33:24 AM »

Is it possible to be "evangelical catholic" and "low church" at the same time?

Yes.

And people say that I am contrary!  ::)