Author Topic: More on How Bound Consciences Are Being Respected in the ELCA  (Read 12196 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: More on How Bound Consciences Are Being Respected in the ELCA
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »
-- that you never have sex with someone to whom you are attracted."

I rather suspect that there are a lot of divorcées that got that way through thinking thoughts such as that.   "I deserve the privilege of having sex with someone I find attractive, bye bye old and ugly spouse, I'm off to greener pastures!"

Y'mean like when David married Bathsheba? Granted committing adultery with her was wrong. Plotting to have her husband killed was wrong; but there was nothing wrong about marrying a second or third or whatever wife who was available for marriage.

Couldn't you find an exemplary example for us?  Because really, I think your example just proved my point, those kinds of thoughts lead to us justifying more sinful behavior.

We aren't given the stories about David's other wives or his concubines -- but there seems to have been no repercussions David marrying or for having sex with them. In that society, it was expected that wealthy men would be in sexual relationships with many wives, slaves, and concubines.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:39:54 AM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2011, 02:11:38 AM »

We aren't given the stories about David's other wives or his concubines -- but there seems to have been no repercussions David marrying or for having sex with them.

You might re-read 2nd Samuel, 1 Kings, and 1 Chronicles.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:18:18 AM by The Rev. Steven P. Tibbetts, STS »
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

amos

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »

When you start with a closed mind, any thought that does not agree --- even scripture --- is wrong. 

1Ptr5v67

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »
In Mike Bennett's earlier post on this thread (1/21/11 post #100),  he referred us to an article by David Yeago
http://lutheranspersisting.wordpress.com/david-yeago-in-the-aftermath/
This article was written in 2009 shortly after the CWA.

But such site also contains another article of Dave Yeago's written 2/6/10
http://lutheranspersisting.wordpress.com/david-yeago-facing-reality-in-the-elca/
from which I quote:

I hear instead a great deal of scolding about the bad manners and overheated rhetoric of traditionalists. These are certainly real enough, though not universal. I have counseled traditionalists to beware the poisonous affects of anger and resentment, and I will continue to do so. But the demand for civility is a time-honored ploy by the powerful, deliberate or not, to control or exclude the less powerful: "You don't get to speak unless you speak politely, and we decide what's polite." This is a distraction from the far more significant question: What will the powerful do with their power? The future of the ELCA will in large measure be determined by the degree to which those who support the Assembly actions are practically committed to retaining fellowship with those who reject them. Traditionalists should be ready to acknowledge and respect such commitment when it appears, and that will require spiritual discipline and self-criticism on our part. But the traditionalists do not have the power to decide whether space will be provided for them in the ELCA.

I recommend both articles as being worthy of being read in their entirety.
fleur-de-lis

pr dtp

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »
Perhaps it was deleted in that mass delete, but it continues to be overlooked.

One does not sin only in action, but in thought and word as well.  This does deal greatly in every commandment, but it is of great significance in this discussion.  It is not just the heterosexual act outside of marriage or the homosexual act that are sinful, but so is such intercourse and intimacy in thought and word.

G.Edward

« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »

We aren't given the stories about David's other wives or his concubines -- but there seems to have been no repercussions David marrying or for having sex with them.

You might re-read 2nd Samuel, 1 Kings, and 1 Chronicles.

There you go again...expecting someone to read the whole bible.  It's so much easier to make sense of the little bits we like.  ;)