News:


Main Menu

Blame the singers

Started by Richard Johnson, December 21, 2010, 11:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Johnson

 Two months after the Westfield Galleria in Roseville closed from a devastating fire, shoppers were again forced to evacuate Monday. This time, choral singers are to blame.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/21/3272408/choir-flash-mob-packs-mall-forces.html#ixzz18lSSdo3Z

And so developed our planned experience to join in the "random act of culture" at the local shopping mall.

We had arranged to meet some friends at the "event," and then have dinner. When the fire marshals started evacuating the mall 15 minutes or so before the scheduled sing, we actually were a little relieved. The estimate was that there were 5,000 people who showed up, and it was pretty darn crowded and a little scary.

We managed to find our friends--a minor miracle, but thank you to my daughter's sharp eye which spotted them through the madding crowd (well, actually it wasn't really all that madding, I just wanted to use that phrase). We quickly assessed the situation and decided that trying to get to our cars and get out of the parking lot was probably a two hour proposition at that point, so we slipped into the rather pricey Italian restaurant on the periphery of the mall to have dinner. Quite a few others had the same idea, so there was a wait of almost 90 minutes . . . but we commandeered a table in the bar and enjoyed a glass of wine until at last the dining room table opened up. We closed the place down about 9:30 and by then had no trouble getting out of the parking lot . . . though a little trouble getting to our car, since we had to walk all the way around the mall. Ah well, an interesting last Monday in Advent diversion.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

ptmccain

I just heard about this on NPR driving in to work.

To which we can all say, "Alleluia!" that the floor did not collapse.

A Catholic Lutheran

Only goes to support my paranoid suspicions about Choral Singers...  :D

Never did much trust em'.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Revbert

Oh, so YOU are the one to blame for the 2nd floor darned near collapsing, and the shaking-like-an-earthquake the gathering caused.

Next thing you know, some other ELCA pastor will be trying to be on a foreign reality show....   ;D

George Erdner

Quote from: Art Hebbeler, STS on December 21, 2010, 04:20:07 PM
Oh, so YOU are the one to blame for the 2nd floor darned near collapsing, and the shaking-like-an-earthquake the gathering caused.

Next thing you know, some other ELCA pastor will be trying to be on a foreign reality show....   ;D

That's just impossible to imagine.

A Catholic Lutheran

Quote from: George Erdner on December 21, 2010, 07:25:35 PM
Quote from: Art Hebbeler, STS on December 21, 2010, 04:20:07 PM
Oh, so YOU are the one to blame for the 2nd floor darned near collapsing, and the shaking-like-an-earthquake the gathering caused.

Next thing you know, some other ELCA pastor will be trying to be on a foreign reality show....   ;D

That's just impossible to imagine.

I know Richard...  The mental image of Richard...um, relieving himself...whilest chugging a can of beer...

Disturbing.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS


James_Gale

Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 21, 2010, 11:36:04 AM
Two months after the Westfield Galleria in Roseville closed from a devastating fire, shoppers were again forced to evacuate Monday. This time, choral singers are to blame.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/21/3272408/choir-flash-mob-packs-mall-forces.html#ixzz18lSSdo3Z

And so developed our planned experience to join in the "random act of culture" at the local shopping mall.

We had arranged to meet some friends at the "event," and then have dinner. When the fire marshals started evacuating the mall 15 minutes or so before the scheduled sing, we actually were a little relieved. The estimate was that there were 5,000 people who showed up, and it was pretty darn crowded and a little scary.

We managed to find our friends--a minor miracle, but thank you to my daughter's sharp eye which spotted them through the madding crowd (well, actually it wasn't really all that madding, I just wanted to use that phrase). We quickly assessed the situation and decided that trying to get to our cars and get out of the parking lot was probably a two hour proposition at that point, so we slipped into the rather pricey Italian restaurant on the periphery of the mall to have dinner. Quite a few others had the same idea, so there was a wait of almost 90 minutes . . . but we commandeered a table in the bar and enjoyed a glass of wine until at last the dining room table opened up. We closed the place down about 9:30 and by then had no trouble getting out of the parking lot . . . though a little trouble getting to our car, since we had to walk all the way around the mall. Ah well, an interesting last Monday in Advent diversion.

Let me see if I have all the facts straight.

1.  There was a crowd of about 5000. 

2.  A renowned preacher was among them.

3.  At least one "minor miracle" took place.

4.  An entire group seems to have "enjoyed a glass of wine" for 90 minutes. 

Hmmm.  There is no mention of loaves or fishes.  Or of any after-dinner walks on the water.  But still . . . .

Chuck

Quote from: James_Gale on December 21, 2010, 08:58:01 PM

2.  A renowned preacher was among them.


Only in the mind of the preacher.... ;D :P
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

Richard Johnson

Quote from: Chuck on December 21, 2010, 09:23:18 PM
Quote from: James_Gale on December 21, 2010, 08:58:01 PM

2.  A renowned preacher was among them.


Only in the mind of the preacher.... ;D :P

And a merry Christmas to you, too!  :o
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Bergs

Does anyone else besides me (and my wife who suggested this) believe that this is a sign of Americans "craving" more meaning in Christmas?  Truly a longing for a more meaningful Christmas.   Christmas is being so co-opted by commercial and those who just want to secularize the whole thing.  Americans are craving to preserve what Christmas is all about.

Merry Christmas
Brian J. Bergs
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

Jeremy Loesch

Brian, a member in Bible class on Sunday commented on something similar.  She has noticed more workers saying "Merry Christmas" this year than she can remember the last several years.  I too hope that people are looking for something more significant. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Evangel

Hmmmm.  I have this urge to start tweeting and Facebook posting about a flash mob gathering to sing Christmas carols at New Life Lutheran Church in Myrtle Beach this coming Friday evening at 7:00pm.

... better let the local Fire Marshall know ...   :P
Mark Schimmel, Pastor
Zion Lutheran Church, LCMC
Priddy, TX
--
ACXXIII, "Your majesty will graciously take into account the fact that, in these last times of which the Scriptures prophesy, the world is growing worse and men are becoming weaker and more infirm."

Paula Murray

Richard made it on national television today, he and 4999 others.  The story was not quite right, though, as Fox said the choir sang before being made to leave the mall.

Wish it were so...............................................and on You Tube, preserved for all time, sort of.

Yours in Christ,
Paula Murray

Richard Johnson

There's actually a lot of confusion about that. There could well have been some who burst into song. A bunch of them sang outside, after the evacuation. We were already in the restaurant, though, and frankly, listening to them on the TV news, I'm just as glad we weren't singing with them.  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Harvey_Mozolak

as I said somewhere else (including my homily last Wednesday night)... try singing something else en masse... even unbelivers go readily to the local orchestra's rendition of Messiah sing along....  would people join O Savior Rip the Heavens Wide or Jesus I Will Ponder Now or O Sacred Head?   Hmmm.   Everyone likes a seventh inning stretch but going to bat are two diffferent sets of priorities.                 Harvey Mozolak 
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk