Author Topic: Prayer Requests  (Read 109305 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer Requests
« Reply #705 on: December 26, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Please pray for my Godfather, the Psalti Dr. Nicholas Pandelidis.  He is an avid cyclist and suffered a hip fracture from a bicycling accident Christmas afternoon.   He had done his excellent job of chanting the Orthros and first Antiphon of the Divine Liturgy earlier that day. (Much of what I know about Byzantine chant has been acquired from following his excellent exampe).

To make matters worse, he is an Orthopedic surgeon who now is on the wrong side of the table.   His father Reposed this past year on Holy Tuesday.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Saint Peter's Lutheran Church
« Reply #706 on: December 27, 2016, 08:54:46 AM »
I find it rather sad that Jean Garton and Betty Duda, along with the late Florence Manz, had to confront numerous challenges during the years they demonstrated that LCMS women are equipped to serve as spiritual leaders.  I pray LCMS history records the true nature of their service to our Lord within the LCMS.     

Marie Meyer

The full sweep and scope of Jean and Betty's Christian witness are inspiring at many levels, from home and family to national prominence according to their respective gifts to service inside our denomination.  Both possessed a tremendously Gospel-led vision; they were lifelong learners/disciples.  Both received our Atlantic District Witness in the Public Square award.  Betty and John came to New York some days before and stayed afterward, touring and investigating life here, worshiping with us at St. Peter's, and in that time-frame Betty joined me on the Mill Neck Board.  Betty was on tons of Boards outside the denomination, including the Board of Disney World, so after she joined us at Mill Neck we met in Florida in December several times, and were able to take in the Christmas shows at the Epcot Center, which are absolutely tremendous. 
Jean being a native New Yorker always looked forward to coming here to meet friends old and new, and became one of the three "Divas" who would take in all the sights and sounds of the City upon arrival.

At one time in the last century, one of my parishioners initiated a ministry to teenage pregnant girls and their families; I wrote to Jean about how best to approach the extended families.  She graciously came personally to meet with the leader and the group, who were tremendously encouraged.  Several years later, I informed the same woman leader that an ecumenical group I belong to was starting a pregnancy counseling center.  She became the first staff counselor, and at the time over 100 girls and women who were headed toward having abortions changed course every year after counsel, thanks be to God.  She always stated that her prime mentor was Jean Garton.

This morning is Betty's funeral; I wish I could have made it down to Oviedo; husband John and the entire family are in my prayers, for comfort and peace in Jesus' Name.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 27, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
I find it rather sad that, given Kieschnick's comments, there's no need for a physical resurrection. It's all good.

Please explain the above.   I missed where President Kieschnick stated or implied there is no need for a physical resurrection.

Marie Meyer

I never said that he stated that. Please look to what I wrote.

Perhaps a review of Jeff Gibbs' "Five Things You  Should  Not  Say at Funerals" would be helpful.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.csl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/October-2003.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjKitW4_pLRAhWDMyYKHWmrBccQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNFUEL85xildG4Xt4OYDIudGbW2hyQ&sig2=KsXM9fUyU3hoUeDGoUyH1g

Where might I find Prof, Jeff Gibb's article?  I checked the above reference and came upon several excellent articles and sermon notes, but nothing by Prof. Jeff Gibbs.

Marie Meyer

Please note that President Kieschnick were not intended as a funeral sermon.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 27, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
I find it rather sad that, given Kieschnick's comments, there's no need for a physical resurrection. It's all good.

Please explain the above.   I missed where President Kieschnick stated or implied there is no need for a physical resurrection.

Marie Meyer

Perhaps a review of Jeff Gibbs' "Five Things You  Should  Not  Say at Funerals" would be helpful.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.csl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/October-2003.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjKitW4_pLRAhWDMyYKHWmrBccQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNFUEL85xildG4Xt4OYDIudGbW2hyQ&sig2=KsXM9fUyU3hoUeDGoUyH1g

Where might I find Prof, Jeff Gibb's article?  I checked the above reference and came upon several excellent articles and sermon notes, but nothing by Prof. Jeff Gibbs.

Marie Meyer

It's under Theological Observers.

Things that should not be said at funerals should not be stated elsewhere either, particularly in a public statement or proclamation about the death of a Christianor on a "Lutheran" board.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:32:26 AM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Colorin
« Reply #709 on: December 27, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
That, Pastor Kirchner, would severely limit the things that anyone would say in any place at a person's death
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, New York and New Jersey. LCA/LWF staff. Former journalist  Writer for many church publications.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 27, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
That, Pastor Kirchner, would severely limit the things that anyone would say in any place at a person's death

Context, Charles, context. The referent is Gibbs' "Five Things You  Should  Not  Say at Funerals."
Don Kirchner

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 27, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »

Marie Meyer

Marie Meyer

It's under Theological Observers.

Things that should not be said at funerals should not be stated elsewhere either, particularly in a public statement or proclamation about the death of a Christianor on a "Lutheran" board.

IMO the above comment is not only petty, it's pathetic.

Marie Meyer

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 27, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
"IMO..."

Uh huh. And yours is not surprising whatsoever.
Don Kirchner

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Saint Peter's Lutheran Church
« Reply #713 on: December 27, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
Please remember Terry Kieschnick, Jerry's wife, in your prayers for healing; she underwent her second hip replacement surgery today in Texas and is heading home for recovery and rehab.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Colorin
« Reply #714 on: December 27, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
But be careful in your prayers, lest they might indicate some approval of the Keischnick presidency. Word them carefully.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, New York and New Jersey. LCA/LWF staff. Former journalist  Writer for many church publications.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 27, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »
Do you all really think it's necessary to turn a forum dedicated to "prayer requests" into a political sniping session? Have you no shame?
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 27, 2016, 09:01:39 PM »
Do you all really think it's necessary to turn a forum dedicated to "prayer requests" into a political sniping session? Have you no shame?

I apologize for the part I played in the unfortunate turn this thread took when prayer requests were made for the families of Jean Garton and Betty Duda.  Jean and Betty were dear friends and role models. I over reacted to expressed thoughts about the appropriateness of recalling their service within the LCMS.  I will be more restrained in the future.

Marie Meyer   

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:57 PM »

Which was pretty much the point of my post.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Colorin
« Reply #718 on: December 27, 2016, 11:19:31 PM »
 Actually, Pastor Bohler was the first one to inject the "political" matter into this little discussion.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 28, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »

Perhaps it was the result of Dave's posts which had nothing to do with "prayer requests" but, rather, eulogies posted on Dec 23rd and 25th. No prayers requested for the mourning family, crushed by the law manifested in a death with the promise of a glorious resurrection, body and soul reunited everlasting as created to be. Instead, talk about "celebration" and "what Jerry Kieschnick had to say about" the deceased, including how they supported him politically, coupled with the lame gnostic theology about which Jeff Gibbs warns us.

IOW, nothing to do with prayer.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:08:46 AM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner