Author Topic: Some changes afoot  (Read 18570 times)

GalRev83

Re: Some changes afoot
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
Rather than a hard and fast number of posts per day, how about either one or two PER THREAD per day? It is a more flexible solution, I think.

Just my less-than-two-cents worth.

Donna

Steverem

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »

And few would want to waste a post to say "Go Rangers" or "Go OSU" or "Remember that Cheers episode where we found out Woody was LCMS and Kelly ELCA?"

I think such posts add color and warmth to this site.  Perhaps I have embraced the site too closely and need to pull back.

Mike

Oh, I'd do my best to keep such threads alive.  I'll leave the deeper threads to those of you with all that fancy learnin' and stuff.

dkeener

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Rather than a hard and fast number of posts per day, how about either one or two PER THREAD per day? It is a more flexible solution, I think.

Just my less-than-two-cents worth.

Donna

I also thought about that but feared that it would just generate threads such as,  "The thread for those who have exceeded the thread limit"  ;D

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
   Seven posts a day, for the days of creation? 

(Or, in respect to the season, seven swans a-swimming!)

How about seven a day for the Seven Deadly Sins?  It wouldn't hurt if I was reminded about them while I post, particularly with reference to the sins of Envy, Pride, Wrath and Despair.  The temptations to indulge in any of those four are often hard to resist on this forum.  I've been guilty many times.

David Charlton 
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »

I also thought about that but feared that it would just generate threads such as,  "The thread for those who have exceeded the thread limit"  ;D

A meeting/group on LutherLink/Ecunet that regularly appeared on its weekly top 5 most notes list was "Lutheran Lurkers."

spt+
Who never joined that group.
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

gausmann

« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
Have each person's spouse determine how many posts they are aloud to make, I have a feleling too many people waste far too much time on this, facebook, twitter and all these others tech things that people should only visit occasionally.

Weedon

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
I may be the oddball here, but folks, what on earth is the problem with the way it is now?  If it's storage that needs more space, I'd happily contribute.  I know I've no doubt irritated folks with "too many" postings, but it's like a grand conversation - sometimes you chime in; sometimes you don't have much to say.  I'd honestly argue for the status quo with an appeal for extra funds, if that is needed.

LCMS87

« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
If space is the problem, how about a post tax.   ;D  Each time you post your two cents, pay two cents as well.  Not a financial hardship for anyone, I'm sure, but memory is fairly cheap these days.     

pr dtp

« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
If space is the problem, how about a post tax.   ;D  Each time you post your two cents, pay two cents as well.  Not a financial hardship for anyone, I'm sure, but memory is fairly cheap these days.     

What about those people who posts aren't worth 2 cents?

G.Edward

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
Why not just have another mysterious purge?  You could post a page for a couple of days that says, "This weblsite was updated in 1934 and these pages may have been moved at that time."  Then, a few days later, mysteriously reappear with only a score or four threads left. 

Or maybe you could just say the "divine goddess' within the system was due for a sacrifice and took all the threads...

Or what if we claimed that NASA, in an effrot to save money and their jobs, BOUGHT all our messages and threads to recycle into fuel to blow the next shuttle into space, thereby avoiding the need for O rings and thermal panels...

Or what if.......

(Oh, too much family for too much time the past 78 hours. in my house.....)

Thank you for the best laugh this week.  I really needed that!!

G.Edward

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »
I have said before, deaconess many times...
I do not impugn the faith of another person, even if I disagree with what they say.
I do not call them "un-Lutheran" "un-Christian" "un-biblical" or worse.
I do not call them bad pastors leading their flocks astray.
I do not repeatedly say how misguided, etc. etc. they are and how awful it is that they are in the same "Lutheran" boat as mine.
I express my admiration for much of what the LCMS has been and in some places, is today.
I am persistent in correcting (I hope) misconceptions about the ELCA and in saying that if one is in the ELCA, one should abide by the pertinent obligations.
As for "tone," well, that often depends upon the ear of the hearer and is out of my control.

Reacting by pushing the blame on someone else is often a sign of deep-seated guilt.  I would have expected a little more self-reflection from someone of your experience.

G.Edward

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
I'd say dump as much older content as possible. The "sixty day with no activity" idea is a good one. Keeps the content fresh and prevents the old "we've already talked about that" argument we hear on ALPB forum often.

Ditto on dumping.  No different than conversations we might have a a winkle or conference meeting.  They are but vapors except for our memory of them.

One exception to the across-the-board dumping procedure might be the suggested resources section.  That is one place I have gone back to again and again in support of my work in the parish.

George Erdner

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »
If I may, here's a little piece of knowledge about server storage space. File storage size is determined by the total number of bytes used, not how many individual posts there are. The use of storage space on the server is pretty much the same whether one posts 20 one-line replies of only 1,000 bytes each or one single reply of 20,000 bytes.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »
The changes are still afoot, but nobody will be doing anything to implement them until January at the earliest. Haven't decided on specifics, and the people who do the deciding are way too busy right now.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
The changes are still afoot, but nobody will be doing anything to implement them until January at the earliest. Haven't decided on specifics, and the people who do the deciding are way too busy right now.

BROTHERS AND SISTERS

Peter gives me an opportunity to remind you that most of the work done for the ALPB is voluntary. Those who are "paid" are paid only a tiny amount and have to "squeeze in" their ALPB duties somewhere outside the 60 hours for their parish duties.

During the soon to be celebrated Christmas consider special greetings and thanks to the people, seen and unseen/visible and invisible, who make all of it possible.

Thank you for remembering them.

Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS