Author Topic: Some changes afoot  (Read 18842 times)

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
Re: Some changes afoot
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »
two suggestions or proposed changes:

1. could there be some way of clumping like topics together...  perhaps there are many that are unclumpable and I do not mean a whole system of outlining everthing but keeping certain topics together, like Seasonal, Sexual, Sports, whatever...

2. old complaint, but can newly minted topics be placed forward in the topics list even before they get additional postings or somehow get automatic bumps?

3. maybe this is something I don't know how to do but can we find an easy way to enlarge the reading font?

Harvey Mozolak
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

dkeener

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 07:12:56 AM »
I did a quick count, as I am ofttimes wont to do. My numbers might be off by three or four, but not much more than that.
I think I counted 68 people on this forum with more than 500 posts. I did not include the moderators.
Of those 68, five are consistently supportive of the ELCA, at least to some extent. But one of those has virtually dropped out of the discussion, disgusted with the tenor of the conversation (this person told me). Another seems to be slipping away from the discussion and one has relatively few recent postings.
Four others are apparently in the ELCA, but strongly - one might say terminally - critical of that church body.
The rest are not in the ELCA, either in the LCMS (most of them) or have left or are leaving the ELCA (and in at least one case the LCMS) because of doctrinal disputes. Virtually all of those 60+ believe the ELCA is heterodox, apostate, heretical or worse and say so frequently.
That is the "balance" in this forum.
Just an observation.

Given that 99% of the Christian world and 2000 years of Christian history disagree with the decisions of the CWA I would say that the ELCA's current position is over represented on this board.

Coach-Rev

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »
I did a quick count, as I am ofttimes wont to do. My numbers might be off by three or four, but not much more than that.
I think I counted 68 people on this forum with more than 500 posts. I did not include the moderators.
Of those 68, five are consistently supportive of the ELCA, at least to some extent. But one of those has virtually dropped out of the discussion, disgusted with the tenor of the conversation (this person told me). Another seems to be slipping away from the discussion and one has relatively few recent postings.
Four others are apparently in the ELCA, but strongly - one might say terminally - critical of that church body.
The rest are not in the ELCA, either in the LCMS (most of them) or have left or are leaving the ELCA (and in at least one case the LCMS) because of doctrinal disputes. Virtually all of those 60+ believe the ELCA is heterodox, apostate, heretical or worse and say so frequently.
Just an observation.

I'm puzzled what this observation has to do with the original point of the thread, namely that vitriol levels have risen (again?) and that space is becoming a commodity on the server?

signed,

an anonymous user who isn't mentioned here b/c he has fewer than 500 posts.

kls

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »
But one of those has virtually dropped out of the discussion, disgusted with the tenor of the conversation (this person told me).

I can add at least 3 more to this category, Charles, from communications I've received personally about the tone of your comments.  It's easy to place the blame elsewhere rather than looking at our own habits.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
I have said before, deaconess many times...
I do not impugn the faith of another person, even if I disagree with what they say.
I do not call them "un-Lutheran" "un-Christian" "un-biblical" or worse.
I do not call them bad pastors leading their flocks astray.
I do not repeatedly say how misguided, etc. etc. they are and how awful it is that they are in the same "Lutheran" boat as mine.
I express my admiration for much of what the LCMS has been and in some places, is today.
I am persistent in correcting (I hope) misconceptions about the ELCA and in saying that if one is in the ELCA, one should abide by the pertinent obligations.
As for "tone," well, that often depends upon the ear of the hearer and is out of my control.

pr dtp

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »

1. could there be some way of clumping like topics together...  perhaps there are many that are unclumpable and I do not mean a whole system of outlining everthing but keeping certain topics together, like Seasonal, Sexual, Sports, whatever...

2. old complaint, but can newly minted topics be placed forward in the topics list even before they get additional postings or somehow get automatic bumps?

3. maybe this is something I don't know how to do but can we find an easy way to enlarge the reading font?

Harvey Mozolak

Harvey,

You can do this in your browser - on Google Chrome it is in the Zoom setting - I think on IE and Mozilla there is an actual font overris in the settings, where you can stipulate font height.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »
Just an observation.

Given that 99% of the Christian world and 2000 years of Christian history disagree with the decisions of the CWA I would say that the ELCA's current position is over represented on this board.

This is a Lutheran discussion board in the United States. Considering that the ELCA is nearly twice as large as the LCMS, we should have nearly twice as many posters as the other U.S. Lutheran denominations.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

pr dtp

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
Just an observation.

This is a Lutheran discussion board in the United States. Considering that the ELCA is nearly twice as large as the LCMS, we should have nearly twice as many posters as the other U.S. Lutheran denominations.

How are you generating this statistic?

membership?
Attendance?

or confession?

A Catholic Lutheran

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »
Just an observation.

I'm going to make a contribution to the space thing...  I'm getting off this board...again... 

Life is too damn short.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:10 AM »
Just an observation.

How are you generating this statistic?

membership?
Attendance?

or confession?

Membership. As Charles has pointed out, a majority of the ELCAers with over 500 posts do not agree with the recent ELCA actions. We are not a church body that tries to create unity by confessional agreement. We have diversity within the limits imposed by our constitutional Confession of Faith.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »
Anonymity should not be a bar to participation on this Forum. This should be obvious to everyone in the cases where a "moniker" is supplemented, either in the signature or in the offer to make the real name available by personal message. Even where that is not the case, the nature of this MODERATED Forum eliminates the principal objections to anonymous contributions, including the frequency with which on non-moderated forums they mask irresponsible invective.

As I have said before, this Forum is open and anyone Googling your name can pull up your posts on it. This is too much exposure for some of our members, and, as one who also tries to protect his privacy--as in being "hidden" when I am online--I think they have a right to keep a low profile.

As for irresponsible invective, we have plenty of evidence that it does not require anonymity.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:21:45 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

ptmccain

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »
I'd say dump as much older content as possible. The "sixty day with no activity" idea is a good one. Keeps the content fresh and prevents the old "we've already talked about that" argument we hear on ALPB forum often.

As for comments...I'd say analyze the content of the comments. When the content is more often, than not, a comment about a fellow commentor, that's where I think the forum gets bogged  down. And as much as we'd like to say, "Just ignore that particular person" it does not seem to work. I've been guilty of allowing myself to get drawn into a cat fight with fellow commenters. I've tried very hard to ignore certain people, and it is working, for me, but it seems nearly an impossible task for others.

It is my perception that nearly every important topic on the ALPB is, sooner or later, derailed into a squabble about who said what and why they said it, analysis of motives, chastisement, snark, nastiness, and to use Richard's latest term: "jackassery." It would be nice if we could have relief from the inane musings and speculations of some but those are easier to ignore, I think.

Whatever can be done to mitigate those who participate in this fashion, I say, go for it. Frankly, my participation in the forum is dropping way off because I'm tired of the endless repetitious scoldings and personal attacks, by name, one forum participant in particular, continues to make in what appears to be an obsessive compulsion to attack people personally, ad naseum and ad infinitum. Most recently Richard Johnson called him out and demanded an apology and the only response was more of the same, times two. And again, no action was taken. That this behavior continues unchecked in spite of many moderatorial admonishments seems, to me, to call for decisive and final action.

Beyond that, Peter, I've shared my private observations with you already.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:00:36 PM by ptmccain »

Maryland Brian

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »

I was serious about the gay and lesbian clergy and same sex marriage debate.   Wouldn't it be cool to take a complete vacation for a month or so?  Who knows, if orthodox and advocates dedicated a month to, oh, how to reach Gen Y (statistically less than 4% were in a church this weekend in North America) with the Gospel, maybe we'd find points of interesting contact and discussion.  Just saying ...

PB

hillwilliam

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Just an observation.

That would limit any Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox contributors to about 1 post a year. Of course if you see this board as a Liturgical Christian forum, as I do, then we all should have equal access. I would like to see a closer tie to Luther's works, the Augsburg Confession and Malanchton's "Loci Commune". Yeah, I know, like that is going to happen.  :P
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:38:52 PM by hillwilliam »

hillwilliam

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

Harvey Mozolak

Harvey, most browsers will allow you to temporarily enlarge the font by pressing <ctrl> and <+>.